PODCAST: CW/Jay Jordan from day one in Dallas

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Lots of legal mumbo jumbo from Bowlsby's stuff but still interesting, IMO.

Also, thoughts on football from today. Enjoy.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/podcasts/podcast-cw-and-jay-jordan-from-day-one-of-the-big-12-media-days/

love this... I think the ESPN+ deal is very interesting and a bigger deal than people realize. It is fascinating to see how the media rights landscape impacts the conference re-alignment decisions.

For me personally, having the ability to watch B12 content on ESPN+ is a huge deal. Would never buy every team's individual content on their networks, but would consider watching games on ESPN+. Great to follow olympic sports too.

I hope future conference realignment emphasizes the true value a team brings. For example, natural / geographical rivalries trump size of tv market. I would argue an ISU vs. neb game has a lot more value than say neb vs. rutgers. But based on how conferences are paid, having a larger TV market (regardless of how many in that market are watching) is more important. Digital consumption, cord cutting are forcing changes... cable is not going away, but key is how it is consumed, priced, and delivered will continue to evolve.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUalways

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
love this... I think the ESPN+ deal is very interesting and a bigger deal than people realize. It is fascinating to see how the media rights landscape impacts the conference re-alignment decisions.

For me personally, having the ability to watch B12 content on ESPN+ is a huge deal. Would never buy every team's individual content on their networks, but would consider watching games on ESPN+. Great to follow olympic sports too.

I hope future conference realignment emphasizes the true value a team brings. For example, natural / geographical rivalries trump size of tv market. I would argue an ISU vs. neb game has a lot more value than say neb vs. rutgers. But based on how conferences are paid, having a larger TV market (regardless of how many in that market are watching) is more important. Digital consumption, cord cutting are forcing changes... cable is not going away, but key is how it is consumed, priced, and delivered will continue to evolve.

The deal was exactly the design I envisioned but they went about it all wrong. They never should have sold off the tier 3 rights. Just setup a network like Big XII now but get the schools to contribute their content. Then say any Cyclones.tv sub could get content from any school and Visa versa. But now you've sold out to ESPN for less money and less control

I just cancelled my $60 year sub directly to isu to sign up for 50 / year to ESPN.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
The deal was exactly the design I envisioned but they went about it all wrong. They never should have sold off the tier 3 rights. Just setup a network like Big XII now but get the schools to contribute their content. Then say any Cyclones.tv sub could get content from any school and Visa versa. But now you've sold out to ESPN for less money and less control

I just cancelled my $60 year sub directly to isu to sign up for 50 / year to ESPN.

understand the point... But I think the key is distribution. What are the total combined subscriptions for all of the B12 teams' individual networks? I am guessing they are (significantly) lower than the subscription base for ESPN+. So, the problem is, you can't stumble on the individual team networks the way you can "accidentally" watch games on the b10 network today... you have to make an effort to find the games/content and then sign up for a separate subscription.

For me, I might watch penn state v. temple on the b10 network just because i happen to have it available with my cable subscription, but I would never pay for a penn state unique channel if i needed to subscribe separately... With ESPN+ you have potential to attract people with limited interest in the teams if it is available to them with their ESPN+ subscription...

Finally, you may make less in the short term, but I don't think these networks were making significant money for most of the schools. In the long term though, they will have a package (with performance stats - how many people are watching) that is ready to be sold once it proves it's value. If you don't test the potential of a fully distributed network, it will be harder to sell it in the future.

Obviously, just my opinion... it will be interesting to follow for sure.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron