PODCAST: Perspective on this morning's news, where things might be heading

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
"The game's afoot". While 90% of the people are touting the end game, the real story is how the pieces move and fall. The B10 is the key to the SEC's master plan. Does the B10 'not play' with the SEC? Does the SEC out maneuver the B10 like they did the B12? Does the NCAA have anything left in their tank? What role do the 'bidders' play in the distribution of content? What 'bidders' are 'in'? What time frame for each battle? What role does law and government play in the unfolding events? And the main question: what is the master plan?

For me, it's a nerve wrecking time because of my emotional ties to Iowa State. I want nothing more than stability and, sadly, revenge against Texas first and then Oklahoma. Not healthy, but nevertheless something occupying my mind.

Oh how I wish it unfolds like this:
B10 balks on the expansion. OK and TX get full penalty. B12 limps with buyout for a year, but in the background is working with B10, Pac12, ACC and NCAA to undermine the SEC 'rule' by strengthening the rules around NIL, and any other manner of outside financial influence, reorganizing to better establish geographic boundaries (dissolution of B12 to the other conferences to establish a NEW NCAA division) and gaining party media partners (eg Google/Amazon/Fox) ALL leaving the SEC to try to get the eyeballs to justify their mutiny. ESPN goes belly up. Disney sells off what's left and tries to rebrand itself. Forcing the SEC to seek a new media partner with a fraction of its bullying power.

Hey! A guy can dream. Can't he?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
@ChrisMWilliams, thanks for the update. Any word on what OU and Texas want, or what triggered this sudden move?

What they want is simple: $$$. They’re convinced that the SEC plan is the winning plan and they’re jumping aboard the gravy train.

And this is why I’m in favor of the plan above. If done right, the SEC is severely damaged by their own hubris.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
@ChrisMWilliams, thanks for the update. Any word on what OU and Texas want, or what triggered this sudden move?
What was the one thing UT stayed for? The LHN. It's been a disaster. They blame the lack of marquee matchups in the Big XII and want out. They approach OU about going as a package deal. Timing makes sense because you always get out ahead of contracts, not when they expire. Be proactive and make your move when no one is expecting it, not wait until everyone is expecting it. Then you set the rules of the game. I'm no insider, but this is the simplest and very reasonable explanation IMO.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Selmak The Tok'Ra

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2021
@ChrisMWilliams How significant do you think it is that Jamie Pollard was Deputy AD under Barry Alvarez when Pollard was at Wisconsin before we hired Pollard here? IIRC Alvarez is now some special advisor to the B1G and his responsibilities include conference expansion. Do you think it likely that Pollard would try to leverage this connection in our favor in order to get us into the B1G?

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It's more than $$ for Texas. It's ego. The SEC is perceived to be the best conference in the country and Texas thinks they deserve the head seat at that table. Nevermind the fact they can't win the Big 12. It's the Texas (both the state and the university) mentality.

As for Oklahoma, who knows.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Texas is already #1 in college footgall for athletic revenues...$150 million per year. For comparison, Alabama is down the list at $94 million.
From a monetary standpoint none of this makes any sense.

I have yet to meet a person or see an institution, no matter how wealthy, that said, "yep, I have enough money now"

Reactions: Freebird

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron