POLL: Put your GM hat on fanatics

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This decision was a tough one. What finally swayed me to vote for Lamaak was simply that an above average O-line can do more in my opinion to positively affect the team than any other position. They can protect a hesitant or immobile QB, give average receivers more time to get open, road grade so an even average RB has gained yards before he is even touched, keep the D from having to see the field as often and nearly neutralize the problems of having an average FG kicker. Lamaak would be another high quality experienced starter who would give us immeasurable value as an experienced signal caller of the O-line.

It all starts in the trenches and frankly I don't think any of our losses on D would make the difference.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
We have experience coming back at TE and some depth
We have depth on the OLINE like we haven't seen in a while

We have no experience returning at safety and little depth. No brainer on Sims

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Why no Bailey Johnson? I would have picked him if he was available.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Franklin, Sims was a non factor for half the season last year and ARob is replaceable in time this season.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
we have guys that can immediately step into the vacant roles everywhere. but i voted collin franklin because we really like to throw the TE the ball and he was a good one.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Ben Lamaak......You can have the best skill guys in the country but if your line is weak it won't matter. It all starts up front.

Thats true. But you are assuming our line will be weak without Lamaak. I dont think that is the case at all. No, it obviously wont be as good as it would be with a Ben Lamaak, but "weak"? No way.
Sims is the clear choice here I think. Especially when you figure in what we have returning at each postion. As far as "need", its Sims at safety all the way.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I voted for Franklin. A great TE would a great safety valve for whatever QB takes over this year. CF also was at the peak of his performance while Sims had taken a step back this year.

I think Benton will be able to replace Sims and possibly surpass him in coverage. He has produced pretty consistently as a DB and just has to make the adjustment from corner/nickel back to strong safety. His run support skills are excellent and his experience as a CB will really help his coverage abilities. The position change may be just what he needs to find a position that he could play at the next level. (I know, Koolaid central, but I like him as a player.)
I also like our young guys at S in Washington, Boormfield, and CJ Morgan. I think our safety recruiting the last few years has been very effective and productive. These guys seem to have the physical tools, they just need some experience.

We have some upper classmen coming back at TE but noone that has produced on the field. I am guessing there will be a shift in receptions from the TE position to more of the slot WRs this year. The TE will still be important and I think we will even have improvement as far as blocking, but I don't think anyone comes close to the pass catching threat the CF provided.