Positives of the 1 loss

CysDoc

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2009
The bad area of the state.
I hate to give Iowa credit but the way they looked against Penn St. Our nasty loss-in a game we played pretty bad-maybe our one loss looks a little less negative. I know, I know, a loss is a loss, but I don't always agree completely with that. I know, I know it was a Big 10 team and not a Big 12 team, I'm just saying that with the way we looked on Sat...I'm liking the way the season has started for the most part and looking at things overall, I'm encouraged about the future and the possibility of an upset this year. That bowl-kool-aid is getting easier to drink.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
I hate to give Iowa credit but the way they looked against Penn St. Our nasty loss-in a game we played pretty bad-maybe our one loss looks a little less negative. I know, I know, a loss is a loss, but I don't always agree completely with that. I know, I know it was a Big 10 team and not a Big 12 team, I'm just saying that with the way we looked on Sat...I'm liking the way the season has started for the most part and looking at things overall, I'm encouraged about the future and the possibility of an upset this year. That bowl-kool-aid is getting easier to drink.

A loss to a big ten team is a bad loss. We gave that one away.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Iowa is a pretty solid team.

The reason that they blew us out is because they "forced" us into uncomfortable situations when we were on offense and forced a ton of turnovers. Had we been more experienced with the offense and limited our mistakes (some were pretty terrible, Arnaud just had a lousy day), this game would not have been a huge blowout like it was. But alas, it is what it is, and Iowa is a pretty solid team, while we are a mediocre, inexperienced team.

As long as we limit turnovers and costly errors in all of our future games, I think we will be competitive in almost every game (and win a few, also).

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I can see some of what your saying.

I watched the iowa/PSU game cover to cover, and I didn't think iowa looked all that great. PSU looked horrid in the 2nd half. iowa did what they needed to, hung around and jumped on PSU's mistakes. Give them credit. I don't think they're a top 15 team, but whatever.

I'm not sure what to say about us. I didn't see the game Sat, so it's hard to gauge. But we've played 1 good team and got stomped, 3 pretty mediocre to bad teams and had mixed success - but 3 wins.

Regardless of how iowa looked this past weekend - we looked horrid when we played them. They had something to do with that, but I don't think alot. Our O has yet to find that next level - which is understandable with an entirely new system. I'm still pretty wary of when we travel to Lincoln, Lawrence, Columbia - and even a bit more than tentative about this coming trip. Not to mention OSU coming to Ames.

D is better than I hoped - but refer back to who we've played.

If you can pull for the state teams - you have to be pretty happy right now. ISU, iowa and UNI have a combined 2 losses after week 4 - and those losses are coming to one another (obviously both iowa). That's about as good as you could hope for - just wish the they were flipped a bit.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I think there are few things ISU got out of the loss to Iowa. It gave us a identity that we are a running spread team. If our offense does it's job the defense can make some stops.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I’m not going to make excuses for our poor play against Iowa or say that we gave them the game and they didn’t win it. They beat us fair and square and it is pretty apparent that they are the better team this year. That in itself is nothing to hang our heads about considering the recent state of the program, new coaching staff, etc. What’s really killing me though, is the WAY we lost. It wasn’t because of our mistakes that we lost, but it WAS because of our mistakes that we lost so badly, and that’s what’s bugging me more than anything right now. I’m usually not one for moral victories, but I think I actually would feel better if we had played a better game and lost by 10 points or so.

I know I’m not saying anything that hasn’t been said before, just venting a bit.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Hey, it's probably to our benefit that we got pants'd in the non-conference season where many teams go unchallenged. We had weaknesses exploited in our new system and now have a chance to work on some things that could help us as the games become more important. Look at Penn State and Ole Miss. Neither were challenged until they were punched in the mouth in the first conference game. Were they both overrated? Looks that way now, but maybe pounding smaller schools without breaking a sweat didn't do them any favors.

Iowa seems to have learned from the wake up call UNI served them in game 1. Hopefully we've learned from the one they served us.....

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Iowa doesn't make many mistakes and that is why they can win the close games. Their defense bends but doesn't break.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Iowa's defense won the game against us and their defense won it against Penn State.

It looks like a better loss for us now since they are a top 20 team. It will help our RPI.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Iowa, again, is now the most overated team in the country. Top 25 maybe, top 15 is just a joke.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Iowa, again, is now the most overated team in the country. Top 25 maybe, top 15 is just a joke.

I don't know about this. They have some guys on defense who are pretty damn good. I would say 15 is about where they should be. I want to see how they play against a team with a lot of speed that spreads them out then we will know more. I am talking about Michigan in two weeks. I could see this game being close or a blowout in either direction but I think we will find out a lot about the Hawkeyes in that game.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It's hard to rag on Iowa because they keep winning, but I wonder what they're going to do when they play a team that doesn't spoon feed them bad turnovers? I know that some of that is a result of the schemes of the defense, but it just looks like they all come off overthrows, etc. My guess is when they play against someone who takes care of the ball, they will be removed from national title talk.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
I like what Mike Singletery said after the 49er's loss to the Vikes yesterday.....I didn't look up his exact quote, but he said something along the lines of "I'd rather lose a game like this early in the season, learn from it and chew on it so we know how bad it tastes and use that as motivation to be better."

I suppose we could apply the same philosophy for the Iowa beat-down we took. Better for it to happen early and learn from it.