Power Washer

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
We put in a concrete patio 2 years ago. It has gotten super dirty and I am inexperienced in the power wash game. Looking at purchasing one in the spring. Even got catfished off Craigslist, yes, I understand that is to be expected lol. The question is what power washer should I be looking for? Any information is appeciated, thanks!

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Guess it depends on how much you are looking to spend? Want Gas or Electric? I think for what you are probably wanting to do a 3000 psi would be more than enough to get it done. There are different angle bits you put on the end of the wand depending on what you are trying to spray. Believe concrete is usually around a 15 degree bit.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I would go with a gas powered 3000 psi model. You can always put tips in for less pressure, but can't get more. The electric ones are only about 1800psi and to me that isn't enough for most jobs. Just make sure you winterize it so the pump doesn't freeze, or bring it into a heated area.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We put in a concrete patio 2 years ago. It has gotten super dirty and I am inexperienced in the power wash game. Looking at purchasing one in the spring. Even got catfished off Craigslist, yes, I understand that is to be expected lol. The question is what power washer should I be looking for? Any information is appeciated, thanks!

If I didn't have an old gas powered one I'd rent an electric for 4-hours for $35 dollars. You could do that see how that worked on the patio. At least that's what I can rent a 1000 psi one for here. More powerful 2700 psi gas one would be $60.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Go to Menards and get a gas pressure washer. 3000 psi. Electrics suck. You'll probably spend around $300. Or go to a True Value and rent a gas pressure washer. Make sure your hose is turned on before you start up the engine.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ve put some miles on my gas Generac pressure washer and have had zero issues. I think my parents are going to be on their third one from other brands since before I bought mine.

This is the one I have.

Make sure whatever you get, you pick up one of these nozzles. They’re fantastic. The generac comes with it.

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have Simpson gas powered with Honda engine from Sams Club and have been very happy with it. Pressure washed several houses and decks with it.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The only things electric can do is wash siding or cars. Concrete or wood fences require gas to do the job.

Basically, electric will give you the pressure you’d get from a manual car wash.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I always bring mine into the basement during the winter.
I buy a thing called pump saver. It comes in a small can that you hook to the inlet of the power washer pump and spray it in. It pushes water out and it lubricates the seals. It is around $10 a can many places.

Reactions: Helser 83

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I have a 2,000 PSI electric one, it handles about everything I need for washing cars, fences, decks, etc. Electric is much easier than gas, but not as powerful.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
if you don’t have a heated garage, bring it inside or drain it very well or make sure you get antifreeze in it when your done. Or you will be in the market for another one in the spring.