Projected Offensive Line Starters

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
The Tribune said that Hayworth Hicks sits atop the depth chart with KO (most people knew he would be). So What is our project Offensive line starters?

LT Doug Dedrick
LG Reggie Stephens
C- Mike Knapp ? I have no idea
RG- Ben Laamak
RT- Hayworth Hicks

Anyone got any insight on who will be starting?? I thought Trey Baysinger would start but that was untill the article had hicks starting instead.

The offensive line is the most important part of the offense. So this is important. A good QB is nothing without its line and a good offensive line can make an average or bad (Brad Banks) look really good.

I see Austen Arnaud being the QB by the way. Not just cuz i played with him in high school

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
i'll be impressed if big trey doesn't get a starting job after everything we've been hearing about his level of play. i love what i'm hearing about how our o-line is shaping up depth wise.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Hicks might very well be the real deal. I question, however, how someone who the coaches haven't worked with as yet in pads could be at the top of the depth chart. Didn't he just show up this summer? Once again he might have made an impression in the weight room and in individual workouts, but it should take more than that to earn a number 1 spot. I'm all for him earning it in Aug, but not at this point.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
The Tribune said that Hayworth Hicks sits atop the depth chart with KO (most people knew he would be). So What is our project Offensive line starters?

LT Doug Dedrick
LG Reggie Stephens
RG- Ben Laamak
RT- Hayworth Hicks

Anyone got any insight on who will be starting?? I thought Trey Baysinger would start but that was untill the article had hicks starting instead.

The offensive line is the most important part of the offense. So this is important. A good QB is nothing without its line and a good offensive line can make an average or bad (Brad Banks) look really good.

I see Austen Arnaud being the QB by the way. Not just cuz i played with him in high school

I guess Hicks was the steal people said he was

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
It is amazing how much more excited I am for our line compared to just 2 years ago.

Isn't it great? 4 returning starters, two of which will probably not be starting this year. KO, Hicks, Baysinger, and don't forget Scott Haugton. This is quite encouraging. Quality depth.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008

LT Doug Dedrick
LG Reggie Stephens
RG- Ben Laamak
RT- Hayworth Hicks

Anyone got any insight on who will be starting?? I thought Trey Baysinger would start but that was untill the article had hicks starting instead. . . .

In one of the links to KC stories posted here, iirc:

LT - Dedrick, Haughton
LG - Osemele, Stephens, Johnson
C - Knapp, Alvarez, Johnson
RG - Lamaak, Blaes, Johnson
RT - Hulbert, Baysinger

I assumed (but easily could be wrong) that this came from a Big 12 handout in KC, otherwise not sure how a Big 12 writer would be knowledgeable enough to place and elevate some of these guys. The article did say this lineup is tentative, much is to be decided in fall camp.

Brandon Johnson is the utility guy, it looks like.

Based on the above, here's the class of these 11 guys (if I've got it correct):

LT - Senior, Freshman
LG - rFreshman, rJunior, rSenior
C - rJunior, rSophomore, rSenior
RG - rSophomore, Senior (r?), rSenior
RT - rSophomore, rFreshman

3 Seniors (listing Johnson once)
2 Juniors
3 Sophomores
3 Freshmen

Starters:

1 Senior
1 Junior
2 Sophomores
1 Freshman

All this is fluid, though, you'd think.

I don't recall that Hayworth Hicks was on this particular list. Also, Haughton -- a couple months out of high school is listed at backup LT . . . hmmmm. Although last winter, Coach Mac did say Haughton will play this fall, period.

Last edited:

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I don't think the coaches know who is going to be starting yet. It seemed like they tried a lot of different combinations and players at different spots in the spring. They will get the 5 best lineman out there and hopefully give them enough time to work together and get a feeling of working as one unit.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
This from the CFN OL analysis:

Projected Starters: The lineup is probably going to undergo some major changes with several players pushing for various spots, but the one sure starter will be Ben Lamaak, the question will be where he ends up. The 6-4, 320-pound sophomore is a former high school quarterback who was considered to be a tight end when he came to Ames, and he's versatile enough to play any spot on the line. While he has the talent to play tackle, where he started on the right side all of last year, he's better suited for a guard spot and will likely start out on the left side.

Stepping up and becoming a major prospect at the other guard spot is Kelechi Osemele, a 6-5, 333-pound redshirt freshman who was the offensive scout team player of the year. A big, bruising run blocker, he'll go into the fall with the lead in the battle for the right guard spot.

Brandon Johnson started every game last year at center, but 6-3, 275-pound junior Mike Knapp has the edge going into the fall. Knapp dominated at times this off-season and took over the position like he had been playing it for years. He's not huge, but he's tough and he's great at finishing off his blocks.

The tackles are a bigger question mark than the interior. 6-7, 290-pound sophomore Matt Hulbert has the inside track at right tackle after spending last year as a reserve. While he needs more experience, he has excellent upside and should be a fixture at one tackle spot for the next three years.

6-3, 288-pound senior Doug Dedrick started every game at left tackle after transferring over from Scottsdale CC. He bulked up over the last year, but he still remains one of the team's quickest linemen. While he's not dominant, he's consistent and good in all phases.

Projected Top Reserves: 6-3, 311-pound senior Brandon Johnson started every game last year at center, and while he was fine, he lost his job to Knapp, a lighter, quicker blocker, this off-season. Now Johnson will work mostly at guard, a seemingly more natural position for the former defensive lineman.

Reggie Stephens is a 6-3, 331-pound side of beef who is a strong run blocker and a decent veteran having started every game last year at left guard. While he's hardly out of the battle for the starting job, he'll have to fight to push Lamaak out of the spot.

284-pound senior Joe Blaes was a key JUCO transfer who didn't do too much a reserve. Expected to step into the right guard role going into spring ball, now he has to fight for playing time at either guard spot after the emergence of Osemele, who's almost 50 pounds heavier than Blaes.

Hulbert is hardly a sure-thing to start at right tackle with redshirt freshman Trey Baysinger right in the hunt for the job. The 6-6, 316-pounder has more size and plenty of upside, and if nothing else, he'll be a key reserve in the rotation.

Is Scott Haughton ready? The 6-4, 310-pound freshman has the Big 12 body to step in right away and play, and while he was a great defensive tackle and a good guard, he'll be worked out at both tackle spots where he could be a key backup from day one.

Watch Out For ... a lot of lineup shifting. A lot. Noting was set in stone after a wild spring of player shifting, and it might take every fall practice to sort out the mess. At the very least, there are several interesting options to work with.
Strength: Experience and upside. Four starters returned from last year's line and two of them, Stephens and Johnson, might be out of a job this fall. Even if they are, they're too experienced not to see playing time somewhere. They didn't stink this off-season; other players stepped up.
Weakness: Continuity. That wouldn't be a problem if everyone was back in the spots they manned last year, but with so much shifting and so much changing around, it might take a little while to form a cohesive unit.
Outlook: It got swept under the rug with all the great coaching jobs done in the Big 12 last year, but the work done by offensive coordinator Robert McFarland and his group with a line that did nothing, nothing in 2006 has to be considered one of the best. After allowing 57 sacks in 2006, the line gave up just 17 last year while doing a far better job for the running game. Now there's a great situation with four starters returning, emerging stars who are better than some of the steady veterans, and a few key cogs in Lamaak and Dedrick to keep it all together.
Rating: 7

(By the way, OWH is the Omaha World Herald)

Help Support Us

Become a patron