• Straight off the cob

Votes: 214 94.3%
  • Cut off

Votes: 13 5.7%

• Total voters

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I cut the corn off. Less messy, plus I freeze the leftovers and use them in stir frys or casseroles or whatever.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Smoothies too? Maybe in a nice fritatta? That's cute.

Thanks. I also compost the cobs. Good for the environment, you know. And frittatas are awesome. Can't say I've ever heard of sweet corn in a smoothie but I think one of the ice cream places around Des Moines makes a sweet corn flavor every summer. Mixed reviews.

Reactions: SpokaneCY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
On the cob. You do about 4-5 rows at a time, typewriter style.

GGbm.gif

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I have recently encountered a growing number of people cutting it off the cob instead of holding it and eating it like a real Iowan. I understand if you have dental issues that make it difficult. However, it was always meant to be eaten straight off the cob. Nothing completes a summer day in this great state like biting into a fresh cob of salted buttery goodness like that feeling.

The only drawback to eating it straight off the cob is you get little bits of corn stuck in your teeth, but cutting it off is just not the answer unless you're my grandmother and you're canning it.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I really thought this was going to be the whole row vs column debate. For the record, I like to do a circular 'column' on each end, and then typewriter row the rest.

We do cut corn off the cob in our house, but it's before freezing. Even our 1-yr old now prefers to eat off the cob.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Only cut it off if I'm freezing it. Even then, I probably eat a sandwich bags worth. I love it when it comes off in sheets. Hmmmm.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
If you cut it off the cob, its just corn, not corn on the cob. If some one tells me we are going to have corn on the cob and puts a bowl of corn in front of me, we would have a problem:mccaffery::mccaffery::mccaffery:. Nothing wrong with cutting it off and saving/freezing it, but at that point its just ******* corn.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE