Putting out an APB for...

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
...the old ISU helmet golf cart! Just curious what happened to that wonderful vehicle from the 80s. Shaped like a helmet, gold w/ the cursive Cyclones (IRRC, but could have been the twister logo from the early 80s.) Anyone?

P.S. Yes, it is obviously the off-season. And I searched both here and Google images, to no avail...

P.P.S. No, I'm sure it wasn't white...

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
IIRC, the yellow one ("Cyclones ******") was just repainted red with the blender bird. Same cart.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I thought I remembered seeing it at the old 5th St Warehouse (east of Pizza Hut on Duff) but that got torn down years ago. I think ISU moved the contents of that warehouse to their larger warehouse on Hwy 30 across from the big church just outside town. I used to work for Central Stores and we spent a lot of time moving stuff in and out of those warehouses.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I thought I saw it out near the old softball field last year possibly. I'm sure it it is around somewhere. They should auction that thing off, I would bet they could find someone willing to pay over $1000 for it.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
IIRC, the yellow one ("Cyclones ******") was just repainted red with the blender bird. Same cart.

Makes sense. Blender bird and blue run amok!

I thought I remembered seeing it at the old 5th St Warehouse (east of Pizza Hut on Duff) but that got torn down years ago. I think ISU moved the contents of that warehouse to their larger warehouse on Hwy 30 across from the big church just outside town. I used to work for Central Stores and we spent a lot of time moving stuff in and out of those warehouses.

I think at least part of 5th St. went to the old Ice Arena with the Purchasing Warehouse (the junk sale!) sometime in mid-2002. I can picture the guy that ran 5th St., can't think of his name... 5th was a nice facility, with the overhead lift, but I never really knew what was stored there. Asset Recovery is now out on Airport Road, the remaining 5th St. stuff likely went there or to Highway 30 warehouse.

When were you at Stores? I was at the Purchasing Warehouse/Asset Recovery from 99-01, we were the illegitimate sons of Stores!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
When were you at Stores? I was at the Purchasing Warehouse/Asset Recovery from 99-01, we were the illegitimate sons of Stores!

I worked there from 99 - 04, the summer after I graduated from Ames high through graduation from ISU. I helped work at the Surplus sales many times while working at Central Stores. It was an interesting job, sorting through all the crap that the University didn't want anymore. Great place to people watch... You must have worked with Randy then - good guy. And Ralph was the guy that ran 5th St.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I thought I saw it out near the old softball field last year possibly. I'm sure it it is around somewhere. They should auction that thing off, I would bet they could find someone willing to pay over $1000 for it.

Its still out there.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Oh my goodness, that picture is pretty cool and brings back some nice memories......I think that is me in the black hat with my friend playing on the hillside after the game. We talked to Troy about getting his autograph after the game as he and the some of his team members walked back up to their locker room. He said he would come back out after he gets done and sure enough after the game my friend and I who were playing on the hillside got his autograph....Really cool memory that hasn't been brought up in a while!....Good Stuff, Thanks for jogging my memory with that picture.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I worked there from 99 - 04, the summer after I graduated from Ames high through graduation from ISU. I helped work at the Surplus sales many times while working at Central Stores. It was an interesting job, sorting through all the crap that the University didn't want anymore. Great place to people watch... You must have worked with Randy then - good guy. And Ralph was the guy that ran 5th St.

I'm sure our paths crossed. Randy was great to work with, he died the last summer I was @ the Purchasing Warehouse. I ran the computer cage, got out on the trucks once or twice a week. Good times!