Q & A with Wally Burnham

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
OpenDNS

It seems like most of you read Tim Griffin's blog on ESPN, but for those that don't he posted an article by Bobby La Geese at GoCyclones.com.

It's awesome to hear that Burnham ranks Derrick Brooks 2nd among defensive players he's coached.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Well i hope they can learn the defense in a month :smile:

I don't think he's too concerned with them learning advanced schemes so much at this point as making sure they're in position (as he talks about).

You can tell since 2005 there has been such a serious lack of fundamentals from our defense. Hopefully a healthy influx of jucos along with a staff who is determined to get these guys in the right spot and form tackling will make a significant impact. Hell, it can't get much worse

Cylax51

Apr 8, 2009
Lisbon, IA
I think the "learning to tackle better during the two-a-days" is code for, they arent going to like me much starting tomorrow. Great hire, no question of his ability to do great things with a smaller venue team. Excited to see what a real D-Coord can do with these guys.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I have a hard time believing that that is the best photo they could come up with. Now that I got that out of the way I'm jacked to have someone like Burnham on board. He has had some pretty good defensive units without having a roster full of 4 & 5 star players.

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I don't remember...what brought him to ISU? With his talent and past success at S Florida (also his age which would tend to favor a Florida lifestyle) it's interesting why he came. I am expecting huge improvements this year in our D.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
thank former coach dan mccarney for getting burnham and paul rhoads together. i think iowa state with herman on offense and burnham on defense will surprise many people. our footballers were not very well coached by chizzledick and his cronies.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
I don't remember...what brought him to ISU? With his talent and past success at S Florida (also his age which would tend to favor a Florida lifestyle) it's interesting why he came. I am expecting huge improvements this year in our D.
The head coach at South Florida Jim Leavitt is a very hard person to work for. McCarney worked with Burnham for one season there. Burnham got angry at Leavitt because they wouldn't even give his son Shane an interview there. Rhoads contacted McCarney to see if Burnham might be interested in coming to ISU and the rest is history.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

I'm guessing Rhoads may have asked Dan McCarney for some advice on coaching candidates. McCarney was D-Line coach at South Florida before going to Florida.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
The head coach at South Florida Jim Leavitt is a very hard person to work for. McCarney worked with Burnham for one season there. Burnham got angry at Leavitt because they wouldn't even give his son Shane an interview there. Rhoads contacted McCarney to see if Burnham might be interested in coming to ISU and the rest is history.
The rest is history with the addition that his son would also be on the staff at ISU.

That might be a good thing down the road if shane is anything like his father in terms of coaching success.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Pretty sure Wally and Paul already had a relationship before Dan entered the picture at USF.....I remember reading that Paul and Wally had a mutual admiration for each other's defenses while competing against each other in the big east.

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009

Ive heard he was given the opportunity to hire the last defensive asst. coach if he took the job. This gave him the chance to work with his son if he desired. I think that'd be a huge reason to want to come to ISU. Glad he and his son are here. Both will do great things.

Mac I believe helped Ash decide to stay here when he was offered the DC job as S FL.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron