Question on OL

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have seen a lot of comments about the OL making a lot of improvement in the spring, but what exactly does that mean? Just doesn't seem to be a details in the reports. Can anyone provide some details for the optimism?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have seen a lot of comments about the OL making a lot of improvement in the spring, but what exactly does that mean? Just doesn't seem to be a details in the reports. Can anyone provide some details for the optimism?

Probably just being able to block our starting DL better and better.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think depth has improved. Ramos and Downing have been thru the redshirt year. Hudson took a leap forward. Foster, he's still here.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'm guessing just the talent upgrade overall. Getting guys like Downing and Ramos to contribute should help out. Newell has a year experience under his belt. Knipfel is very good. You hope Meeker and JGJ make an improvement.

There will probably still be some growing pains early in the year, but hopefully the line will be much improved over lat year.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm guessing just the talent upgrade overall. Getting guys like Downing and Ramos to contribute should help out. Newell has a year experience under his belt. Knipfel is very good. You hope Meeker and JGJ make an improvement.

There will probably still be some growing pains early in the year, but hopefully the line will be much improved over lat year.

They actually started playing better late in the year. Minus the false starts, I thought that they dominated in the bowl game. Knipfel was good last year and will be better. Newell struggled early, but he was just a RSFR. I expect that he's going to be more than solid these next three years, improving each year barring injury. Meeker was probably an average B12 RT...a small step forward will make him better than average. JGJ was maybe the most frustrating player I've seen in awhile. He could play well at times, then lose concentration and end up letting his guy get a free hit at the QB/RB. He really needs to dial in. If he does that, the blind side is taken care of. I really believe that Downing is going to push Olsen. But Olsen has experience now and at the very least shouldn't be worse.

I feel like the OL has a solid shot at going from a bad OL most of last year to an above average B12 OL this season. As long as Purdy stays healthy, I feel like the offense will be better even without Montgomery and Butler. They still have major weapons at RB, TE, WR.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think we finally have some quality depth. Depth leads to competition. Competition leads to improvement.

In the past, certain guys knew they would play no matter what because there were really no other options. CMC has shown over and over that he will play the best guy no matter age/experience. If the staff truly believes Downing, Ramos, and Hudson are B12 ready, then they now have leverage to push the whole group.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Some fun from Twitter

Josh Knipfel said Trevor Downing would always wear his maroon 'Downing Farming' shirt to practice. The offensive linemen joked with him about it and Downing showed up handed out shirts to all of the linemen.

Knipfel: "So half the time we’re walking through the facility and half of us are wearing these T-shirts. We go out to eat somewhere repping the Downing farms."

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think we finally have some quality depth. Depth leads to competition. Competition leads to improvement.

Depth also helps with guys getting injured or dinged up - you've got someone who has real playing experience going in for them. Also helps with fatigue, which leads to some of those injuries in the first place, as well as poor performance when you are tired.

Overall, I think people are optimistic because while they were not great overall last year, individuals, and the line overall -- they certainly showed flashes. Now a lot of those guys are back, older, bigger, and hopefully better. Plus more time playing together, which I think is key for an OL.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

In the past, certain guys knew they would play no matter what because there were really no other options. CMC has shown over and over that he will play the best guy no matter age/experience. If the staff truly believes Downing, Ramos, and Hudson are B12 ready, then they now have leverage to push the whole group.

Not to mention, if we get a couple guys a little dinged up, it could be possible to rest them a bit more rather than have them try to play through it.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I've heard JGJ has made huge gains in his game this off season.

I'll be honest, I thought he was one of the worst OL players last year. However, its not entirely his fault. He's been moved around so much, that its hard to be proficient at one spot if you've had to move every year. This will be the first year he will be playing the same position consecutive years since hes been here.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone and Aclone

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I just want Rudy Wade to really push these guys in the weight room this summer. Set some bench records. Strength would go a long ways towards run blocking improvement.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What doesn't get talked about enough is that CMC and the staff aren't throwing young guys out on the filed before they were ready unlike the CPR era. When you combine the improvement in o-line recruiting and proper development I think there is A LOT to be optimistic about.

• Agree
Reactions: Javinegli

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think the O-line played really well in the Alamo Bowl, and that to me is exciting...

They certainly made some strides during the year. They were an absolute train wreck against Iowa last year. Hopefully this unit will come out firing on all cylinders at the start of the season, since they have everyone back.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I just want Rudy Wade to really push these guys in the weight room this summer. Set some bench records. Strength would go a long ways towards run blocking improvement.

Ohhh ****... in before someone rips you a new one for mentioning bench and strength in the same context!

• Funny
Reactions: Brandon

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Ohhh ****... in before someone rips you a new one for mentioning bench and strength in the same context!

tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Help Support Us

Become a patron