Question on Social Media Strategy to help Cyclones

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Looking at On3's NIL Values it occurs to me that a player's Instagram, Twitter and other Social Media followers has more impact than a player's on the field performance (but both are better).

If my assumption above is correct, should we encourage all Cyclone fans to follow our players to help improve their chance to get funded by corporate America?

For example, Omaha has the 28th Ranked NIL Value but is a higher rated recruit than Mikey Williams, yet Mikey blows Omaha out of the water in NIL value. Both are great players but Mikey has a huge social media following. Cyclone Nation may not be able to deliver millions of followers, but we tend to be more active with social media than other fan bases.

At the risk of be a creeper, my thought is if we follow all of our players, perhaps corporate America helps fund some of the NIL gaps. (Not that I plan on changing my strategy to support the We Will Collective).

Assuming the strategy is a sound one, is there a place where our athlete's social medial handles are published? Ideally: Player commits to Iowa State, social media handle is posted, player's NIL value bumps immediately. (or visa versa if they leave on bad terms). I can look them up on my own but the key is to get thousands of Cyclones to act - not dozens.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Assuming the strategy is a sound one, is there a place where our athlete's social medial handles are published? Ideally: Player commits to Iowa State, social media handle is posted, player's NIL value bumps immediately. (or visa versa if they leave on bad terms). I can look them up on my own but the key is to get thousands of Cyclones to act - not dozens.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA

Mulkey was the first (at least in WBB) to hire someone to oversee something like that. Of course winning a natty in year 2 helps with that BUT still.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Charles Barkley made a statement about the current state of affairs in college basketball regarding NIL, transfers, conference realignment etc. during the Final Four. Said the NCAA has to get things under control immediately essentially. I agree, the NIL is crazy as is social media followers determining a players worth. Brian Bosworth and Johnny Football at aTm would make Angel look like a minor celebrity.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Could take some time, but their social links are on their athletics bio...just go team to team and follow.

Now, we need to set up a click farm and we will be set! Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411-215252.png
    Screenshot_20230411-215252.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 21

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Could take some time, but their social links are on their athletics bio...just go team to team and follow.

Now, we need to set up a click farm and we will be set! Lol
This works for current players.

I think we need something more organized for future and past players.

Barring anyone knowing of a place that highlights the links, I am going to challenge my Twitter and Instagram skills and see if I can set up a centralized account that focuses solely on following Cyclones. This might at least give fans a single place to go.

I DO THINK, however, that this is a place where our Athletic Department, We Will, or another entity might have the ability to help beyond my limited skills. I see where other Universities have set up programs to help student athletes with NIL. Iowa State has a partnership with INFLCR+ Local Exchange but I cannot see where that is providing an organized method to connect fans and student athletes.

CF Shop

Dec 13, 2017

Barring anyone knowing of a place that highlights the links, I am going to challenge my Twitter and Instagram skills and see if I can set up a centralized account that focuses solely on following Cyclones. This might at least give fans a single place to go.

I DO THINK, however, that this is a place where our Athletic Department, We Will, or another entity might have the ability to help beyond my limited skills. I see where other Universities have set up programs to help student athletes with NIL. Iowa State has a partnership with INFLCR+ Local Exchange but I cannot see where that is providing an organized method to connect fans and student athletes.
INFLCR is absolutely the place to sign up for fans to interact with players. That is how we pay players for their merch at Cyclone Fanatic Shop. It's super easy to sign up, find players, send an offer, transfer money. They handle all the tax paperwork as well which is a big amount of work off our hands.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
INFLCR is absolutely the place to sign up for fans to interact with players. That is how we pay players for their merch at Cyclone Fanatic Shop. It's super easy to sign up, find players, send an offer, transfer money. They handle all the tax paperwork as well which is a big amount of work off our hands.
I went to the INCLR Exchange website.

Cyclone Exchange

This works for someone wanting access to the student athlete (after I register) presumably for me to given them NIL directly. I never got to see the list of athletes because I had to request access and provide billing information.

I am looking for something that makes a one stop shop for us to follow the athletes to help improve their PIE score when someone else wants to engage (pay) them.

For example, Nebraska instantly lists all players with a way to see their social media links. It still requires the user to act where my mental model is a medium that engages proactively. (i.e. a tweet when a new Cyclone is available to follow on Twitter). Nebraska NIL Link Nebraska does, however, give some easy options for things like autographs, etc.

CF Shop

Dec 13, 2017
I went to the INCLR Exchange website.

Cyclone Exchange

This works for someone wanting access to the student athlete (after I register) presumably for me to given them NIL directly. I never got to see the list of athletes because I had to request access and provide billing information.

I am looking for something that makes a one stop shop for us to follow the athletes to help improve their PIE score when someone else wants to engage (pay) them.

For example, Nebraska instantly lists all players with a way to see their social media links. It still requires the user to act where my mental model is a medium that engages proactively. (i.e. a tweet when a new Cyclone is available to follow on Twitter). Nebraska NIL Link Nebraska does, however, give some easy options for things like autographs, etc.
Opendorse and INFLCR are pretty much the exact same platforms, one just lets you see the athletes before signing up. This is the backend of INFLCR for Iowa State. You can click on profiles, view all social media channels, propose things like autographs, video shout outs, etc.

I have accounts on Opendorse and INFLCR and they are just 2 services providing the same thing.

Now could you argue that Iowa State could do a better job promoting the Cyclone Exchange to the general fan? Yes, I think they could.

Attachments

• iflcr.jpg
    iflcr.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 14

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Haven't done it in a long time, but you used to be able to make "lists" on your own Twitter account and others could follow those lists (assuming they already followed you.)
Of course this was pre-Elon by a long time.

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Looking at On3's NIL Values it occurs to me that a player's Instagram, Twitter and other Social Media followers has more impact than a player's on the field performance (but both are better).

If my assumption above is correct, should we encourage all Cyclone fans to follow our players to help improve their chance to get funded by corporate America?

For example, Omaha has the 28th Ranked NIL Value but is a higher rated recruit than Mikey Williams, yet Mikey blows Omaha out of the water in NIL value. Both are great players but Mikey has a huge social media following. Cyclone Nation may not be able to deliver millions of followers, but we tend to be more active with social media than other fan bases.

At the risk of be a creeper, my thought is if we follow all of our players, perhaps corporate America helps fund some of the NIL gaps. (Not that I plan on changing my strategy to support the We Will Collective).

Don’t think Omaha has to worry about being behind Mikey anymore, only thing Mikey will be behind is bars

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Don’t think Omaha has to worry about being behind Mikey anymore, only thing Mikey will be behind is bars

Mikey should have hired himself someone to make good decisions for him. play stupid games win stupid prizes.