Rag at it again

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Ok, once again let me lay this out to you all that think I defend the Rag because of my blog on DMJuice...

1. I do not get paid by them to blog, it is completely voluntary
2. I do not represent the Rag, what I write about is purely my opinions and is not edited for content by the Rag.
3. I am not in any way obligated to defend the Rag and have on many ocassions here questioned and criticized them.

That being said, enough with this BS that I "represent" them because I don't and I have no vested interests that would give me reason to have a biased opinion of their work. It's just a form of media that I use to post my opinions and do my part in helping promote the Cyclones.

I didn't say you represent them, I just said there is no way you could provide a rational opinion on the subject being that you are tied to them, even if you aren't paid.

Being that you blog, which is a FORM of "journalism" I guess, I would think you would be able to look at the crap that so called newspaper spews and see it for what it is.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Ok, once again let me lay this out to you all that think I defend the Rag because of my blog on DMJuice...

1. I do not get paid by them to blog, it is completely voluntary
2. I do not represent the Rag, what I write about is purely my opinions and is not edited for content by the Rag.
3. I am not in any way obligated to defend the Rag and have on many ocassions here questioned and criticized them.

That being said, enough with this BS that I "represent" them because I don't and I have no vested interests that would give me reason to have a biased opinion of their work. It's just a form of media that I use to post my opinions and do my part in helping promote the Cyclones.

You may not represent the Rag in an official manner, however, you are one of their "approved" bloggers. Therefore, you DO represent the Rag, even if it is in a freelance manner.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they publish. Throw the whole blogging thing aside and that is still my OPINION that the headline was fair game because it came straight from the coach's mouth. Even as some of you have said the article itself has a lot of positive things in it. I really don't see why some of you are all worked up over such a small thing.

I guess since most of us here graduated from Iowa State there should never be a negative thing ever said here because we "represent" our university as a graduate but we all know there is plenty of negativity at times towards the school and athletics at times here. This is pretty nit-picking claiming I represent the rag thus I can't ever say anything positive or negative about them. It would be entirely different if say I were to defend or talk poorly of the employer that pays my paycheck because then I do have a vested interest.

Funny how everyone here seems to be a journalism expert but just how many of you every majored in it?

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they publish. Throw the whole blogging thing aside and that is still my OPINION that the headline was fair game because it came straight from the coach's mouth. Even as some of you have said the article itself has a lot of positive things in it. I really don't see why some of you are all worked up over such a small thing.

I guess since most of us here graduated from Iowa State there should never be a negative thing ever said here because we "represent" our university as a graduate but we all know there is plenty of negativity at times towards the school and athletics at times here. This is pretty nit-picking claiming I represent the rag thus I can't ever say anything positive or negative about them. It would be entirely different if say I were to defend or talk poorly of the employer that pays my paycheck because then I do have a vested interest.

Funny how everyone here seems to be a journalism expert but just how many of you every majored in it?

So the guy blogs for a company he volunteers at? Big Freakin Deal. Ever disagree with something your company does? Probably do and they pay you.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So the guy blogs for a company he volunteers at? Big Freakin Deal. Ever disagree with something your company does? Probably do and they pay you.

Difference is I would not call out my employer by name in a public forum such as a blog or message board. Big difference there and I'm sure you'd do that same if you wanted to keep your paying job. Worst case is the rag (actually DMJuice which is a supplement to the Rag) just drops my blog if they didn't like something and life goes on.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

And it is the OPINION of many of us that your opinion on the rag means literally nothing.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Does it help yours? I didn't major in journalism and I'm guessing you didn't either so I would say that puts us on pretty equal grounds for who's opinion carries more weight huh?

My opinion doesn't carry weight, just an opinion shared by many who don't blog for said "publication".

My opinion is that the Rag is a pile of crap. Yours is different. I am pretty sure I will sleep tonight.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
My opinion doesn't carry weight, just an opinion shared by many who don't blog for said "publication".

My opinion is that the Rag is a pile of crap. Yours is different. I am pretty sure I will sleep tonight.

I'm getting scared cy cause we are agreeing on stuff..

pthebutcher

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 14, 2006
Portland
I didn't say you represent them, I just said there is no way you could provide a rational opinion on the subject being that you are tied to them, even if you aren't paid.

Being that you blog, which is a FORM of "journalism" I guess, I would think you would be able to look at the crap that so called newspaper spews and see it for what it is.

Incredible logic! Apparently none of us can provide a rational opinion of ISU since we are all tied to the Cyclones.....:biglaugh:

Reactions: CYdTracked

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
If we are such a sorry team, it will be even more fun to march to Iowa City and kick them. This stuff means nothing. Wins do.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
What people outside of ISU consider as a 'good season' is a lot different than what we consider. Most would consider 8 wins an ok to good season. So you can see why a lot of the media is always 'down' on ISU.

We've done that 1 time in my lifetime.

But yes... the Rag sucks.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I have no clue what this thread turned into, but bottom line...the Rag sucks.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Oftentimes, the headline is left to some dumb a** editor. So it may not be the writer's headline.

On a side note I do like the low expectations. It's much better to under promise and over deliver.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The Rag's coverage has been awful for as far back as I could remember. The nice thing about when I lived in Cleveland and Minnesota is I didn't have to read their one sided coverage all the time.

Looks like the rag is gettng smaller - the pages are even smaller.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron