Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Smoke on the water
A fire in the sky

Damn, it is crazy SMOKY outside. Had to wear a mask while doing rideabout. Did a little with/without mask test and mask really helped.

View attachment 87630

If all goes well I'll be in the U.P. next week and will be interested to see what it's like.

2 years ago it felt like dusk pretty much all day with Canada fires.

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Are you sinking in the marsh? That looks like it smells awful.

That's Lake of the Isles, some lilies and algae/duck weed in the shallows but not as bad as the shallow lakes/ponds this year. Not smelly but everything smells like smoke anyway, so............ :rolleyes:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
0 calls for trees down today I'm shocked.
About 6 months ago a tree service bought an empty lot near me that had a large storage shed. Some company used to keep all their trucks and equipment there. After the storm a few weeks ago that lot is one massive pile of tree debris.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yanks apparently think they are still in it if they got a two month rental player.

Edit: They will probably call him Tony in NY, cause mob town. ;)
I haven't paid much attention to the Yankees in a few years. Are they still running the MLB retirement plan for pitchers that are past their prime?
You would have thought they would have figured out by now that you can't just outslug every opponent.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Our charity poker run is tomorrow. Hopefully if it rains as predicted it will be in the early morning hours and be over by 6-7 am

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I haven't paid much attention to the Yankees in a few years. Are they still running the MLB retirement plan for pitchers that are past their prime?
You would have thought they would have figured out by now that you can't just outslug every opponent.

Not so much. Although, they did sign Corey Kluber, age 35, to a one-year deal. He pitched a no-hitter for them than got hurt and may or may not pitch again this year. This season they have had (again) a ton of injuries and a bunch of guys collectively not hitting anywhere near their career averages (way more than the overall drop-off in hitting MLB wide this summer). Plus the manager sucks, he's either crazy drunk on metrics or won't stand up to the higher management that is drunk on metrics. Assembled a team in a lefties ballpark that contained no lefties. WTF?

Also, something really wrong with the team chemistry although I think a lot of that is related to the number of demoralizing injuries as much as a lack of fiery leaders on the team. Earlier this month the entire outfield was on the IL and they sign a guy in desperation and he plays great. And within two weeks he tears his ACL. They call up a deep deep roster kid from the minors and he gets injured after a single game.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I went for my walk this morning, 65 degrees felt almost cold (but good) and really hazy. Every so often I'd get a whiff of burning wood. This afternoon when I was outside for short periods of time, the smell had changed to just-doused burnpile and ashes, ugh.

I think I counted 27 sprinkles on back patio concrete in late a.m.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In 1995 I bought a bed and dresser (with a mirror) from my uncles estate for $50. My cousin had told me the bed was slept in once by him when he stayed with his mom after my uncle died, so it was basically new.

well, we kind of played musical dressers in the house a bit and it was the odd one out so my wife put it on Facebook auction without the mirror because she likes to have it on the floor as a “how does this outfit look” mirror since it is taller. She got $40 for it. Only time that has worked.

With moms estate I had a dresser that my ancestors brought with them from Germany in the 1860-1880s area. In good shape still with original flip mirror. $25. Woof.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I hate 2021. Damn wild fires, recording what may be the worst air quality readings on record here. Supposed to be bad through Tuesday of next week.

Screenshot 2021-07-30 225824.png

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I hate 2021. Damn wild fires, recording what may be the worst air quality readings on record here. Supposed to be bad through Tuesday of next week.

View attachment 87667
We have a fog advisory. Not sure if it’s fog or haze. It appears to have gotten worse today.

Have a ceiling fan in our vaulted living room. On slow speed fine, but moves no air. On fast it’s fine, but you feel like you’re in a wind tunnel. So medium makes sense but it is just a smidge off kilter and slightly wobbles. Worked on it and nothing really off

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Menace are in the USL2 National Final tonight at Valley Stadium. 7:30p. Tickets are $10. Use code 'Sporting21' for 1/2 off.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Does not seem as smoky right now so going to sneak in a rideabout. Still going to mask up cause poopie air quality. Having to tape mask to nose or sunglasses fog up.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I'd never willingly volunteer for flight delays, but I think I'd take the hit for my sister right now. Out of the 4 groups that were flying to get back from our annual family vacation (the other two groups drove), she's got the only one with younger kids and doesn't need to be stuck in a smaller airport.

She's coming up on hour 5 of delays trying to leave Myrtle Beach (flight was originally at 3 PM now departing at 8 PM). That's on top of having to be there at around noon because the security line is so ridiculously long at that airport and everyone having to be out of the rental house at 10 AM. Only good news is that she is on a direct to MSP so she doesn't have to worry about connections.

Way easier for a single mid 30s traveler (or my younger brother and his fiancee or even my parents who are late 60s) to be stuck in an airport for 8+ hours than a family of 5 with an 11 yr old, a 9 yr old, and a special needs 6 yr old. Especially when it's not a hub airport.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron