Randy Pete Retiring

Spam

May 21, 2008
Jamie Pollard, TJ and Matt Campell after hearing that Randy is retiring:

three-golf-players-dancing-i1z92bzxxhdlwq88.webp

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
I think the register might hire a Jr or Sr in journalism as an intern to provide ISU sports coverage. With reduced subscriptions, the Register will be looking to cut/save on the cost of the replacement.

Reactions: aauummm

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Don't get all the hate and piling on. Have I been frustrated at times with Randy's coverage of the Cyclones? Yes, but overall I think he's been pretty fair for the most part. Would you rather have a Chad Leistikow or David Eickholt type homer covering the Cyclones? If so, I'd say that says more about you than it does about Randy.
Old Neck Beard Quinny is another homer I would not want!

IMG_3843.jpeg

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Never had any ill will towards the guy. Most of the time he seemed to do a decent job. But he definitely had more than his fair share of head scratching questions.

Hope his replacement, in whatever form or fashion that becomes, is at least decent.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

Pleasanthillclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Don't get all the hate and piling on. Have I been frustrated at times with Randy's coverage of the Cyclones? Yes, but overall I think he's been pretty fair for the most part. Would you rather have a Chad Leistikow or David Eickholt type homer covering the Cyclones? If so, I'd say that says more about you than it does about Randy.
Agree, I would occasionally run in to him at pizza joints and bars in the eastern suburbs, nice guy that loved to talk sports.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
He wasn’t the greatest reporter. My only issue was when he blamed the court storming for his broken leg, but the video came out showing that no one even touched him.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I, too, thought he was generally fair towards ISU and I hate the idea of being covered by a homer. Journalism, even in sports, is so much better when it can be objective.

My issue with Randy Pete wasn't that he didn't bleed Cardinal & Gold, it's that he wasn't a good reporter and the questions he asked at pressers were embarrassingly bad and often far too long winded.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Never understood how the Rag had two people covering Iowa State.. It's a one person job as long as you have an editor and publisher

They have two covering Iowa.

I don’t know why you’d ***** about having two reporters. Seems pretty stupid. Sports is probably a big reason why some still get the paper, so it makes some sense to invest in it.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
wait, you people still take the paper?
I mean, if you care about a well-informed citizenry and the cause of democracy and all the individual rights, freedoms and liberties it bestows upon you, the disappearance of "the paper" and local / investigative journalism in general should be a concern and no joking matter. A free, independent and I'd say vibrant press in this time of continuing disappearance of mainstream journalism is essential to our government and avoiding a slip (or slow tumble) into autocracy or one-party rule or total lack of freedom. I worry about the constant and slow erosion / disappearance of local journalism to check local governments, state governments and those institutions and people in power:

Just look at the countries around the world that don't have freedom and have fallen into autocratic rule and misfeasance or worse, malfeasance and corruption. They often have constitutional rights on paper just like ours, but not in practice / reality. They're just words if "the people" and those in power don't follow them. That's why the appearance of a demagogue like Donald Trump who lies about many things of public importance, not the least of which was an election he lost but continues to claim fraud, was "stolen" and whip-up a gullible, angry and sizeable group of Americans enough to storm the capital after a legitimate election, and someone who calls the Secretary of State of Georgia (a Republican, Raffensburger) to "find him votes" as Trump was recorded to say, is scary. There's less journalists and well-resourced news rooms to report on public officials. EVERY PUBLIC OFFICIAL, regardless of political party.

Anyway, good luck to Randy Peterson. I hope the Register replaces him, but I keep subscribing for the purpose of local news reporting more than sports. If we lose sports coverage for ISU, it will feel unfair if Iowa continues to get coverage, but the reality is that local government reporting is much more important and as long as that continues and they don't lose further news reporters / investigative journalists, it will be alright.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I mean, if you care about a well-informed citizenry and the cause of democracy and all the individual rights, freedoms and liberties it bestows upon you, the disappearance of "the paper" and local / investigative journalism in general should be a concern and no joking matter. A free, independent and I'd say vibrant press in this time of continuing disappearance of mainstream journalism is essential to our government and avoiding a slip (or slow tumble) into autocracy or one-party rule or total lack of freedom. I worry about the constant and slow erosion / disappearance of local journalism to check local governments, state governments and those institutions and people in power:

Just look at the countries around the world that don't have freedom and have fallen into autocratic rule and misfeasance or worse, malfeasance and corruption. They often have constitutional rights on paper just like ours, but not in practice / reality. They're just words if "the people" and those in power don't follow them. That's why the appearance of a demagogue like Donald Trump who lies about many things of public importance, not the least of which was an election he lost but continues to claim fraud, was "stolen" and whip-up a gullible, angry and sizeable group of Americans enough to storm the capital after a legitimate election, and someone who calls the Secretary of State of Georgia (a Republican, Raffensburger) to "find him votes" as Trump was recorded to say, is scary. There's less journalists and well-resourced news rooms to report on public officials. EVERY PUBLIC OFFICIAL, regardless of political party.

Anyway, good luck to Randy Peterson. I hope the Register replaces him, but I keep subscribing for the purpose of local news reporting more than sports. If we lose sports coverage for ISU, it will feel unfair if Iowa continues to get coverage, but the reality is that local government reporting is much more important and as long as that continues and they don't lose further news reporters / investigative journalists, it will be alright.

Randy Peterson tho.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
They have two covering Iowa.

I don’t know why you’d ***** about having two reporters. Seems pretty stupid. Sports is probably a big reason why some still get the paper, so it makes some sense to invest in it.
The last time I consumed content from the Register, I was in high school, at my parents house, when they were still getting a Sunday Rag...

That was coming up on 20 years ago, CF, podcasts, and Twitter are plenty of content.. The Rag is not needed for Big J anymore

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron