Ranking B12 coaching hires since '96

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I hope I end up being wrong, but I have a feeling that the new Texas coach was a perfect hire for them.

Campbell will probably move up this list by the end of 2021.
I don't get the Sark love. Texas was an offensive powerhouse under Herman. So, they replace him with an offensive coach. :rolleyes:

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I would put Mangino, Briles - scumbag, and then Rhule right behind Campbell.
I would also say that if Campbell wins the league this year, an argument could be made for him to move to #4.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I hope I end up being wrong, but I have a feeling that the new Texas coach was a perfect hire for them.

Campbell will probably move up this list by the end of 2021.

Time will tell. He did great things with the best players in the country at Alabama. I suspect a lot of other coaches could do that too. He completely blew up at USC.
Honestly I think they made a mistake by dumping Herman, but we will see. They certainly have the money and recruits to do more than they have for the last decade.

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
If I were Texas, I think I would have tried to get Rhule from the NFL before going with Sark.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
If I were Texas, I think I would have tried to get Rhule from the NFL before going with Sark.

I don't think Rhule would be a good mix with the donors at Texas. That is Texas problem, is that you need someone who belongs with the donors and is apart of the good boys club. Rhule doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Time will tell. He did great things with the best players in the country at Alabama. I suspect a lot of other coaches could do that too. He completely blew up at USC.
Honestly I think they made a mistake by dumping Herman, but we will see. They certainly have the money and recruits to do more than they have for the last decade.

Well, he was 9-3 in year 1 at USC, but then the booze got him in year 2. He was barely above .500 in 5 years at Washington. Theoretically, he has learned a lot in his time at Bama and has his demons in the rear view mirror. So I think the jury is really out, he could be a new and improved man, and might be a big winner. Or not. Stay tuned!

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Well, he was 9-3 in year 1 at USC, but then the booze got him in year 2. He was barely above .500 in 5 years at Washington. Theoretically, he has learned a lot in his time at Bama and has his demons in the rear view mirror. So I think the jury is really out, he could be a new and improved man, and might be a big winner. Or not. Stay tuned!

Exactly. He seems like he handled things well at Alabama, but again, if you have all the best players, there is not a lot of stress to try and fabricate something out of nothing, which is what ISU coaches have done for years. Campbell is doing a great job of getting guys that fit the process, but besides a couple guys no one on ISU would sniff the field at Bama. Let's see how he handles loosing to OU and ISU and OSU this year.

• Agree
Reactions: zcecsch

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Herman was never going to have success at UT, the players hated him for being a hard ass, and according to the Atheletic his staff was not really all in too sucking up to the HS coaches in Texas.
The new guy will have success at UT, too much talent and money in the state to keep screwing it up forever.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Herman was never going to have success at UT, the players hated him for being a hard ass, and according to the Atheletic his staff was not really all in too sucking up to the HS coaches in Texas.
The new guy will have success at UT, too much talent and money in the state to keep screwing it up forever.

Again, you are assuming he can handle the pressure, which he has not done before. To me this looks like it has a slight potential to turn into Les Miles 2.0.

There are a lot of people that would think that Campbell is a hard ass. He expects a lot more in terms of responsibility and citizenship than most coaches.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Again, you are assuming he can handle the pressure, which he has not done before. To me this looks like it has a slight potential to turn into Les Miles 2.0.

There are a lot of people that would think that Campbell is a hard ass. He expects a lot more in terms of responsibility and citizenship than most coaches.
People do learn from their mistakes, and I expect that Shark learned a lot from watching how Saban handles things from the media to the players and everything in between.

I do not believe that I have ever heard any stories about Campbell treating his players like Herman was, there has not been multiple reports out of Ames like there was out of Austin of players saying they could not stand the coach.

Neither of us know how Shark is going to do at UT, but if I was willing to bet, within 3 years he will have them at the top of the conference.