Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
According to this, we are supposed to reach up to $50 million, which would be half of what the B10 is supposed to get at the end of their deal. No one said we would be making less than what we are now.

Never quote that website they post the most fraudulent stories for clicks

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
According to this, we are supposed to reach up to $50 million, which would be half of what the B10 is supposed to get at the end of their deal. No one said we would be making less than what we are now.

LOL, look up sportskeeda and see who and where they are from. That article is almost a year old, before any of the numbers for the playoff came out.

Saying we are only going to reach 50M is a bit short sighted when we are at about 45M now and the new contract will take us above 50M, before the playoff and new NCAA tourney payouts are factored in.

Sportskeeda quotes articles and tweets from the likes of swaim and MHv3r. Not really a great source. Dont think they have a reporter in the US, they all are in India or somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
LOL, look up sportskeeda and see who and where they are from. That article is almost a year old, before any of the numbers for the playoff came out.

Saying we are only going to reach 50M is a bit short sighted when we are at about 45M now and the new contract will take us above 50M, before the playoff and new NCAA tourney payouts are factored in.

Sportskeeda quotes articles and tweets from the likes of swaim and MHv3r. Not really a great source. Dont think they have a reporter in the US, they all are in India or somewhere.
The B12 numbers may go up a little with the playoff money, but the B10 and SEC numbers will rise even more, because they are going to get 3-5 teams in every year each, while the ACC and B12 are only going to get 1 or 2 in per year.
The article said reach that $50 million at the end of the contract. We are behind now and will be further behind every year going forward.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The B12 numbers may go up a little with the playoff money, but the B10 and SEC numbers will rise even more, because they are going to get 3-5 teams in every year each, while the ACC and B12 are only going to get 1 or 2 in per year.
The article said reach that $50 million at the end of the contract. We are behind now and will be further behind every year going forward.
LOL, ok.
edit:
You might want to read that again. "$50M when the deal COMMENCES". Which would be this year before, any new playoff, or NCAA increases etc.

And again its sportskeeda, notice they didnt quote a source for that part. The site is a joke.

• Haha

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Never quote that website they post the most fraudulent stories for clicks
Here is what our AD posted.

Jamie Pollard
@IASTATEAD

Huge day for the future of
@CycloneATH
and
@Big12Conference
- with CFP and NCAA this will bring our annual Big 12 revenue to close to $50M per school, up from $41M this year. Congrats to
@brettyormark
for delivering in the clutch.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Jamie Pollard
@IASTATEAD

@CycloneATH
and
@Big12Conference
- with CFP and NCAA this will bring our annual Big 12 revenue to close to $50M per school, up from $41M this year. Congrats to
@brettyormark

Oh I’m not arguing numbers, I was just saying that source is awful. Everyone on here probably knows more about the Big12 numbers then I do.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Jamie Pollard
@IASTATEAD

@CycloneATH
and
@Big12Conference
@brettyormark

OMG....in 2022. The new contract will bring us up to $50M. That included the OLD Playoff Contract amount!

This was before the new Playoff contract that vastly increased. And before the Upcoming NCAA tourney renegotiation.

Also those numbers are for the START of the new contract, before those other increases take effect.

But believe what you want.

• Haha

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
OMG....in 2022. The new contract will bring us up to $50M. That included the OLD Playoff Contract amount!

This was before the new Playoff contract that vastly increased. And before the Upcoming NCAA tourney renegotiation.

Also those numbers are for the START of the new contract, before those other increases take effect.

But believe what you want.
LOL at the end we will be up to 50 million, not even close to that now. We do not start at that number, but you refuse to believe it. You keep pushing this extra money from the playoff, but the B12 is getting one maybe two teams in at most, while the B10 and SEC will be getting most of teams, they will bury us and the ACC in playoff money's.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
LOL at the end we will be up to 50 million, not even close to that now. We do not start at that number, but you refuse to believe it.
The Big 12 pay out last reported was just shy of $45M.

The new media contract is to pay 31.7 per school, an increase of almost 10M from the 22M per school in the current contract.

But somehow we are going to get less? Simple math would say add 9M to the 45M paid this year and that would be......54M, to start the contract, not including any increases.

But hey I believe in maths and stuff.

• Haha

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
LOL at the end we will be up to 50 million, not even close to that now. We do not start at that number, but you refuse to believe it. You keep pushing this extra money from the playoff, but the B12 is getting one maybe two teams in at most, while the B10 and SEC will be getting most of teams, they will bury us and the ACC in playoff money's.
giphy.gif

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023

The new media contract is to pay 31.7 per school, an increase of almost 10M from the 22M per school in the current contract.

But somehow we are going to get less? Simple math would say add 9M to the 45M paid this year and that would be......54M, to start the contract, not including any increases.

It’s been widely (kind of) reported that each school will not get 31.7 for x amount of years due to adding the 4 corners. They also left the renegotiated playoff will less payout than expected.

What that ultimately ends up being each year per team I have no idea.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The new media deal for the playoff is for....7.8B for 6 years. The old deal was for 5.6B for 12 years.

My math says that is a huge increase. Like damn near 3 times as much!

• Haha

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The Big 12 gets less of the playoff cut, but is still allowed in. That would continue.

My preference is something like #1, but with the top cut being whittled down to 16-18 schools. Iowa wouldn't make that cut, and Nebraska might not either. That would allow the remaining 50+ former P5 schools to reorganize geographically.

You would see the top division look like this:
OSU
Michigan
Penn State
Notre Dame
USC
Oregon
Texas
Oklahoma
Florida
Bama
Georgia
FSU
Clemson
Tennessee
Aggy
LSU
Miami
Auburn

Then everyone else is left in another division that can organize along geographical and historical lines. Maybe have the remaining 54 teams of the former P5 organize into 6 9 team divisions. Our division would be something like this:
ISU
Iowa
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
Mizzou
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Okie State

I would prefer this to basically any arrangement ISU's ever been a part of.
There's no way to draw a strict midwest conference of 9 or 10 schools and have it be viable. Those states are all smaller population and don't produce enough D1 athletes. Same problem presents in gaining viewership. It'd be the Big 10 West in to no time flat.

That said, I'm all for regional-ish conference alignment, but there's got to be a little bit of overlap between the different divisions or whatever. Swap Iowa/Wisconsin for TCU/Baylor (barf) and Mizzou for Cincinnati and you might be talking.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It’s been widely (kind of) reported that each school will not get 31.7 for x amount of years due to adding the 4 corners. They also left the renegotiated playoff will less payout than expected.

While I agree to a point. All of this is in constant flux. No one knows how much that reduction will be, maybe a million, maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

The entire thing could change with the likely scenario the ACC falls apart. So saying anyone knows what we will be making in damn near a decade is a reach. Even if we take a 5 million hit for the new teams coming in we will be making more than 50 after adding in the increases.

But my god its not all doom and gloom that some on here constantly cry.

Reactions: ClubCy and rbrook

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

An added note. From what I read, ESPN agreed to 4 teams, Fox agreed to 2, initially, and instead of pushing fox they all agreed to cover the Fox portion for the last 2 schools. Without looking up the exact numbers lets just say espn is paying 20M and fox is paying 11.7. I believe that is close but ESPN pays a bit more than that and fox a bit less.

31.7 x 14 = 443.8 (31.7 times 14 schools, with 2 of the pac 12 included.)

443.8 + 40M = 483.8 (20M each for the added 2 pac schools minus the Fox portion)

483.8/16= 30.24 per school, in the new contract. So conservatively we are talking a 1.5M hit but probably a bit less.

30.24 is still over 8M more than our current contract. 45M + 8M = 53M, plus whatever increases in playoff etc, other advertisements, championships etc etc. that Yormark is working.

Someone correct my math if I am way off.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That would be a big payday for the MW and WCC to pay if you are thinking 5 mil from them.

I believe the MWC is the highest paid G5 and they make around 4M total per school, so I doubt they are giving OSU and Wazzu more than what they give their full members, for a few games and non rev sports.

AAC is around 7-8. They are the highest G5.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Again the only one saying we are getting less is you. We added four new schools but each school is going to make more money, even though the contract says each school will make the same.

Can you show me one report that says we will be getting the $70 million you are suggesting, just one will do.

• Dumb
Reactions: 2speedy1

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Notice it says at the end of the contract, each of the original schools received $42 million not $45 million.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2speedy1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Here is the Athletic article.
  • Of its $879.8 million in revenue, the Big Ten dispersed $843.96 million to its 14 members. The league’s 12 fully vested members received between $60.48 million and $60.55 million, while Maryland and Rutgers — which borrowed money from the Big Ten while non-vested members from 2014-2020 — picked up $58.8 million and $58.7 million, respectively. The 14 members saw bumps between $1.6 million and $4 million. Those numbers should jump significantly next year.
In year three of the contract they are expected to get another large bump up to $80 million a year.
The deal will begin July 1, 2023, and run through the end of the 2029-30 athletic year. Specific terms were not disclosed, but a financial windfall won't come immediately, according to media sources. The CBS payout in Year 1 of the agreement is lower since it still will be carrying SEC games during the 2023 season and will air only seven Big Ten contests that fall. But the Big Ten's per-school distribution will turn upward in Year 2 of the deal, when new members USC and UCLA enter the conference. Revenue will rise substantially beginning in Year 3.

The Big Ten is projected to eventually distribute $80 million to $100 million per year to each of its 16 members. According to USA Today, the league distributed $54.3 million to most of its members during the most recent fiscal year (2019-20) not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

Wait? 16 members? They have 18.