Really stupid taunting call.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What’s low key awesome and maybe it’s already been discussed is that ref got clocked or tripped or something and lost his hat not long after this and was super pissed about it. Happened right In front of us.
That was the line judge, different guy.

Papajets

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 26, 2014
So can someone explain to me why you can’t slightly change your gait mere inches from the goal line but you can do an Irish jig after a sack?
It might have to do with the play being over, so the post play celebration has more leeway then when it occurs during the play. Same as touchdown celebrations.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Not to defend the ref because the call was weak AF but context is important… the game was getting very chippy in the 2nd QTR and IMO the refs decided to get control of this at halftime. Who knows how much chatter was going on and what they were saying in the lead up to this play.
I appreciate the idea but if they were trying to get control, it didn’t work. Jawing resumed very next possession. OSU receiver stood over our DB yapping after a PI, much worse than whatever Hutchinson is alleged to have done. I was furious.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The armchair psychologist in me is fascinated when otherwise intelligent people will deny what their eyes see as some sort of coping mechanism.

This is flat out the worst call you will see in sports. I still can’t figure out how the words “high step” are even associated with that play.

When presented with a choice, chose reality.

Reactions: JCity

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
What’s low key awesome and maybe it’s already been discussed is that ref got clocked or tripped or something and lost his hat not long after this and was super pissed about it. Happened right In front of us.
Didn't know it was the same ref, but saw that happen. Our guy (think it was Will McDonald was looking back at the sidelines as he was running on the field during a change of possessions and just mowed a ref over.

• Wow
Reactions: t-noah

OldEagle

Dec 15, 2017
Ok--I'll try this angle:

Don't high step into the end zone and it's a non issue.

Either way, I've never heard or seen of it in college when the TD gets called back.

The only time I've seen it was 15 years ago or so when an ISU player scored, crossed himself and pointed to the sky (his dad had passed). They flagged that as excessive, erased the TD, gave us the ball on the 20. ISU did not score again and lost the game.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I guess they should call all the very very very slight holds too if anyone thinks this was anywhere close to justified. Sure know X won't get called for it again, thankfully the zebra didn't cost us this one.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If true we have gone from ridiculous to surreal.

So many questions. How is it taunting when none of the Cowboys could see his eyes? How did the ref see them and how did he understand the intent? And the most fundamental one- how the hell does someone “taunt them with their eyes” in the first place?

That is the worst excuse ever. If the red actually said that - they better investigate his ties to gambling.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The armchair psychologist in me is fascinated when otherwise intelligent people will deny what their eyes see as some sort of coping mechanism.

This is flat out the worst call you will see in sports. I still can’t figure out how the words “high step” are even associated with that play.

When presented with a choice, chose reality.

Part of the problem is that there's a lot of judgment calls in the game and current rules.

You have people in here going "WELL ACKSHUALLLY ITS THE LETTER OF THE RULE", but there are so many rules that aren't enforced that way, and we have come to expect a certain standard of what the de facto rules actually are. I mean, if we followed the rules to the letter, we might spend all day trading holding penalties back and forth, since by the letter of the rule it happens on every play in some games.

And yeah, im not sure how that was a high step. He slowed up once he saw he wasnt going to be caught, but nothing in the rules says you have to go 100% all the way to the goal line. High stepping is different.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Grasping at straws for an explanation...maybe XH yelled something over-the-line at the defender??? The ref was kind of in hearing range, but it was probably pretty loud on the field at that point.

Or, maybe it was just a really bad call...

Reactions: CyPlainsDrifter

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
To me, the most impressive part of that horrible call was Campbell's initial reaction.

Most coaches, including previous ISU coaches, would have had an absolute melt down on the sidelines and it would be hard to blame them. Instead, Campbell calmly told Hutchinson who was trotting off the field to get back on the field, and then he screamed encouragement at his players to get the touchdown back. That's leading by example and showing your players how best to overcome adversity.

We're so lucky to have Campbell leading our program that I have to keep pinching myself.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
To me, the most impressive part of that horrible call was Campbell's initial reaction.

Most coaches, including previous ISU coaches, would have had an absolute melt down on the sidelines and it would be hard to blame them. Instead, Campbell calmly told Hutchinson who was trotting off the field to get back on the field, and then he screamed encouragement at his players to get the touchdown back. That's leading by example and showing your players how best to overcome adversity.

We're so lucky to have Campbell leading our program that I have to keep pinching myself.
Well he what francon 1 after it. Dave andrews pulled him away.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

You apparently missed the part where after he saw the replay yelled, "who f****** called that?!" and started storming down the sideline and a couple of coaches had to pull him back.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

I love Campbell, and he did do exactly what you say he did as far as giving encouragement to our guys, but he was ******* livid even after we scored and kicked the PAT. He was yelling demanding to speak to the field judge after the extra point.