RECRUITING: Iowa State earns commitment from Army WR transfer

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do we really know what we are getting? After all, he is a receiver for Army, not exactly an Air Raid offense.

Seriously, this is a situation where I really trust our recruiting. Our coaches are pretty good at sniffing out guys that can come in and ratchet up. And with a West Point enrollment, you know he has some other things going for him too.

Reactions: State2015

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Do we really know what we are getting? After all, he is a receiver for Army, not exactly an Air Raid offense.

Seriously, this is a situation where I really trust our recruiting. Our coaches are pretty good at sniffing out guys that can come in and ratchet up. And with a West Point enrollment, you know he has some other things going for him too.
A capable receiver and an experienced run blocker. Could stretch defenses with his speed and size.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
My take is that he might be thinking he has a shot at the NFL and wouldn't get the right exposure at Army.
I like his size and we could use a good run blocker out on the edge. From the video it's hard to tell if he has elite speed or not since he was wide open but he didn't look slow either.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

It's definitely a bit tough to tell. But as someone else said, we can probably feel great about his run blocking even without seeing any highlights of it. For his receiving--I'm not sure I've seen anyone say it, but he led Army in receiving yards in 3 straight years (including this year playing only 4 games). Of course that came on low volume with a lot of big plays, but coming into an offense that already has Higgins, Noel, and Brahmer, he won't need to be a particularly high volume receiver here, either.

By the way, a couple of videos showcasing his catching abilities (watch till the end on the second). It seems like he'll add some acrobatic catch ability when Rocco needs a guy to just go get it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Army was 132nd last year in pass play percentage at 24.27% Last year they were even lower at 17.1% Compare that to ISU we were 39th at 51.37% and in 2022 was 57.04% Army has usually been a very run-heavy offense so he wasn't really in an offense where he saw a lot of targets. He literally led all Army WR in receiving yards with 266 on 9 receptions and that was all in just 4 games. Only 2 WR finished with 10+ receptions on their team with 18 and 16 for 252 and 237 yards. Their leading receiver in receptions did that over 9 games and 6 of those 18 catches came in just 1 game too. Army only threw the ball 164 times last season while running the ball 574 times.

Just putting into perspective their offense is not exactly a tradition P5 type of offense so with his size and skill set he could potentially see a huge jump in production in an offense like ours.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
This is why kids need to be allowed to transfer. I don't get the boomer "these kids are indentured servants to your favorite school" mentality.
Well, to be fair, why don't you wait until you've had something in your life be the same way for 50 years, and then have it completely taken away? Get back to us then. I don't think many people think the kids should be servants as you say, but it is an enormous change and I hear even a lot of younger folks saying it may not be good for the game. That remains to be seen.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Well, to be fair, why don't you wait until you've had something in your life be the same way for 50 years, and then have it completely taken away? Get back to us then. I don't think many people think the kids should be servants as you say, but it is an enormous change and I hear even a lot of younger folks saying it may not be good for the game. That remains to be seen.
What is being taken away from you?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

You mean like my social security :)

• Friendly
  • Haha
Reactions: Aclone and LarryISU

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Army and brains don’t go together, it just doesn’t right, and I’m in the army lol
You may be right. But I'm glad to have the Army and those who decide to serve, when we need them. And we always will need them.

Let's not debate how we've used the Army or military in the past. Whole nother topic.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
It's definitely a bit tough to tell. But as someone else said, we can probably feel great about his run blocking even without seeing any highlights of it. For his receiving--I'm not sure I've seen anyone say it, but he led Army in receiving yards in 3 straight years (including this year playing only 4 games). Of course that came on low volume with a lot of big plays, but coming into an offense that already has Higgins, Noel, and Brahmer, he won't need to be a particularly high volume receiver here, either.

By the way, a couple of videos showcasing his catching abilities (watch till the end on the second). It seems like he'll add some acrobatic catch ability when Rocco needs a guy to just go get it.

LOL Damn CGI. Nobody can do that!

Reactions: CyValley

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron