recruiting

wpicmin

Apr 3, 2009
How are we so far on getting recruits for next years class, i believe ever Big 12 school besides ISU has at least a commit so far....are we getting anywhere? Any progess lately?

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
It is way too early to get worked-up about this. It looks like we are in on some solid guys and this year doesn't look any worse than any other year. If we can get 4 or 5 wins, that will help a lot with recruiting, if we can get to a bowl game after the last 2 years, watch out because that would be saying something about our coaching staff!

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I often worry about this as well. It seriously comes down to schools like us getting whatever is left over from Florida, Texas, etc. Look at Florida, Texas, Texas A&M's recruiting classes. They are almost filled and they haven't seen any of their recruits play their senior year of football.

Reactions: Wesley

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What the heck happens when one of thos UT recruits doesn't pan out? Do they just pull the offer after their senior year is over?

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I often worry about this as well. It seriously comes down to schools like us getting whatever is left over from Florida, Texas, etc. Look at Florida, Texas, Texas A&M's recruiting classes. They are almost filled and they haven't seen any of their recruits play their senior year of football.

Let's face the facts - we, along with everyone else, are fighting for Florida and Texas' leftover recruits. It's gonna take a while until we start landing top tier guys early.

We appear to be in on some nice players, and everyone is saying that we've got a good group of recruiting coaches, so there is definitely nothing to worry about yet. Like somebody said, if we manage 5 or 6 wins this year, I think we will have a great class.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Let's face the facts - we, along with everyone else, are fighting for Florida and Texas' leftover recruits. It's gonna take a while until we start landing top tier guys early.

We appear to be in on some nice players, and everyone is saying that we've got a good group of recruiting coaches, so there is definitely nothing to worry about yet. Like somebody said, if we manage 5 or 6 wins this year, I think we will have a great class.

One thing DMac didn't do well was capitalize on good seasons with improved recruiting. Hopefully this staff can take advantage, and hopefully that time comes soon.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
What the heck happens when one of thos UT recruits doesn't pan out? Do they just pull the offer after their senior year is over?

This does indeed happen, most everywhere actually. As far as the "leftover" comment, that is accurate to a degree. But ISU's hope should be that their coaches will become "adept" at evaluation at what many of us have been programmed to think are "left over's" will become a targeted recruit that staff was very pleased to get.

Chad

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Relax a little because of the coaching change the coaches haven't had a chance to really build networks and get in on a bunch of kids that could and did committ early. Most recruits want to see what ISU is going to run and how they would fit in not just go with what a coach would say. Also other than KSU there isn't another team in the conference that doesn't either have the national name or have the recruiting area to get a lot of these kids

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This does indeed happen, most everywhere actually. As far as the "leftover" comment, that is accurate to a degree. But ISU's hope should be that their coaches will become "adept" at evaluation at what many of us have been programmed to think are "left over's" will become a targeted recruit that staff was very pleased to get.

Chad

That's what I figured. Sucks to be that Texas kid who has a so-so senior year and gets dumped by the Longhorns. ISU will give him a chance to get back at UT though! :smile:
I agree about talent evaluation too. Texas, Florida and USC can pretty much take their top picks and fit them into their system. ISU has to find guys that fit their system, kind of like Iowa has under KF. They might only be 2 or 3 stars, but if they fit the system, they can play above their "Star Rating".

Last edited:

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Keep in mind that our first commit last year wasn't until May 5th, and he was an ISU legacy. We don't have any guys like that this year. The closest situations would either be Kohler or Scherf and they have some other decent offers to consider.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
That's what I figured. Sucks to be that Texas kid who has a so-so senior year and gets dumped by the Longhorns. ISU will give him a chance to get back at UT though! :smile:
I agree about talent evaluation too. Texas, Florida and USC can pretty much take their top picks and fit them into their system. ISU has to find guys that fit their system, kind of like Iowa has under KF. They might only be 2 or 3 stars, but if they fit the system, they can play above their "Star Rating".

Good follow, though as I reread what I wrote it was a little convoluted. My critics would say that is the norm.....:cool:

I especially agree with the "system" and 2 star, 3 star stuff. I have long since conceded, no matter how many great seasons Iowa may be fortunate enuff to have. They will never sign even 5-4 star kids a year, let alone 10. I also don't care. Yes I do sometimes get excited about the fanfare, but really I love when a 2 star beats out a 4 star kid and Iowa has routinely put those 2 star kids in the league. Proving to me they were under ranked to begin with. I think this is something PR can and will do as well.

Chad

AntiSnob

Mar 1, 2009
we, along with everyone else, are fighting for Florida and Texas' leftover recruits.

You don't need Florida and Texas players to be good. Look at Iowa's 2009 recruiting class: one player from Florida, 0 from Texas. The rest are from Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland, Connecticut, and Massachusetts.

Last edited:

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
It is way too early to get worked-up about this. It looks like we are in on some solid guys and this year doesn't look any worse than any other year. If we can get 4 or 5 wins, that will help a lot with recruiting, if we can get to a bowl game after the last 2 years, watch out because that would be saying something about our coaching staff!

This is a sad statement for our team....

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think 6 wins and a bowl game would be even that much better. It would be proof that it most deffinitely was the coaching to blame last year and not the players.

Reactions: dinger

Wallacelantz

Dec 30, 2008
Just a quick comment on stars. Aaron Curry was a 2 star and had only two D1 offers. The coaches evaluaions are much more important than star ratings.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Just a quick comment on stars. Aaron Curry was a 2 star and had only two D1 offers. The coaches evaluaions are much more important than star ratings.

Apparently that OLineman from Baylor was a 2-star too.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
You can be good getting 2 and 3 star players but you can't be great.

Name a team that has won the championship the last 20 years that wasn't build around 5 stars. There are only a handful of schools that have even won BCS bowl games that don't get 5 stars. Kansas won 1, Boise won 1, Utah has won 2.

I am sure there are some more but that is all I can think of all the top of my head

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
These very good programs rarely sign top 20 classes........West Va,Va Tech, Wisco, Iowa and Boston College off the top of my head. Ga Tech, CU (decent classes not top 15) Nebbie (same as CU) and even PSU have never been the recruiting elite yet have won NC's.

The aforementioned are also (with the exception of West Va) well over 20 plus NFL alumni, and pretty talented year to year. So I have a very hard time thinking you "can't" win big regularly with lessor ranked classes. Honestly the ranking system for the top 25 teams is so political and skewed to the usual suspects, that it, in and off itself is as big a reason as any that the rich stay in NC contention till the end. Utah was very good last year, yet they didn't get a chance. Now you can debate all you want they weren't in UF & OU's league, but they crushed Bama with "defense" and it would have been a good game.

Until the same 15 teams are forced to drop at least 10 places after their 1st loss and even farther after their second, then yes it will be tough for the other very good teams to compete for NC‘s.

When a 2 loss LSU (who lost to a very average 7-5 Arkansas & Kentucky) can win a NC then you’ll never convince me there weren’t several teams on any given day that could have beat them in an NC game.

Watch the polls close, when Georgia, Florida OU etc, etc, etc…………….lose a game they drop 6 or 7 places or so. Sometimes less if the pollsters deem it a good enuff opponent. Last year Georgia was number 3 and got humiliated by Bama yet dropped to 11th in week 5. They continued to hover around 8-10 until a week 10 beat down by UF that dropped them to 14th ?!?!?! Are you serious?! Fix this and you’ll have a fairer chance for “others” to win. That same Georgia got ran all over by Ga Tech, and then beat a MSU team that you guys told us was terrible in an uninspiring game that was even closer than I thought it would be. The Bulldogs finished in the top 13?.…………Now I like Georgia and Mark Richt, but color me skeptical.

Also for you ISU & Iowa fans that think you need 4 stars kids to win big, you better get used to losing. Our two teams will never sign consistent top 15 classes. And yes I am a optimist. I just know it won’t happen but we can still win a lot regardless

Chad

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrocks and zach