recruiting

wpicmin

Apr 3, 2009
I''m just disappointed because i recently looked at espn's big 12 recruitment lists and teams like texas and such have like 10 espn top 150 players commited already and we dont even have one guy. Every other big 12 team has at least one guy and over half of them have at least 5 or more guys by now. Just disappointing thus far but this is not to say that i dont have faith in rhoads. I think hes the right guy for the job, i just want to have a reason to get excited for the next couple seasons

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I think we have to understand, at this point, that ISU is in the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the mythical pecking order to get Big 12 recruits. With this staff, until the team hits the field and shows some progress, there's not much our staff can sell to recruits that other teams can't match.

Recruits will come. The staff was, with good reason, more focused on spring practice during the last month. Now that practice is over, they can spend more time on player evaluations and recruiting.

Also, commitments (to me, at least) seem to come in waves. The first one always seems to take a while, but once the staff gets the first one, a few more might come within a week or two.

Reactions: Cyrocks

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
If we can get 4 or 5 wins, that will help a lot with recruiting, if we can get to a bowl game after the last 2 years, watch out because that would be saying something about our coaching staff!

This is a sad statement for our team....

Who in the heck wanted to go to Iowa when they went through 19 straight losing seasons and Iowa was considered one of the worst football programs in the nation?

Success starts with small steps.

rhillary makes a great point.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
What's the highest recruit "ranking" ISU has had (in the time that recruits have been starred)? How about Iowa? I seem to remember that both teams hover in the 50-70 range (with ISU not cracking the top 60, IRRC.) Just curious, not on a "stars ain't everything" rant...

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
I don't expect to see a sudden improvement in the recruiting situation. If we do well in the preseason games and maybe pull off a conference upset, it will generate a little interest amoung theTexas/Oklahoma/Florida rejects, or kids that simply don't care to go there and want a real challange. Rhoad's first season will be increadibly important in this respect. If we have another 2 or 3 win season, any interest generated by the staff change will quickly disappear. It will be interesting to watch the camps. Dan Mac used to pick up some of his best recruits from the camps. Don't recall this happening under Cheezedick.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I don't expect to see a sudden improvement in the recruiting situation. If we do well in the preseason games and maybe pull off a conference upset, it will generate a little interest amoung theTexas/Oklahoma/Florida rejects, or kids that simply don't care to go there and want a real challange. Rhoad's first season will be increadibly important in this respect. If we have another 2 or 3 win season, any interest generated by the staff change will quickly disappear. It will be interesting to watch the camps. Dan Mac used to pick up some of his best recruits from the camps. Don't recall this happening under Cheezedick.

while the cheez was a weasel...I think you will find the talent he recruited superior to any of DMac's kids when all said and done.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
while the cheez was a weasel...I think you will find the talent he recruited superior to any of DMac's kids when all said and done.

I wouldn't disagree with you on this, my point was that Mac usually got his first 4 or 5 commits from the camps he ran. Cheez only had one summer of camps, so I guess it would have been hard to attract good kids to them with no track record. I am hoping that the quality staff that we have now will attract more quality to the camps. Anyone know what they have scheduled?

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Not to get back into the "this coach recruited better than that coach" debate, I always felt DMac took bigger risks on kids panning out, staying out of trouble, or showing up at all. Like 2004: Patrick, Gunn, Coleman, and Thompson - 2 were no shows (not 100% sure on that, but assume so...) and 2 got into trouble and were gone. Those were 4 of the top guys from that class, rankings-wise...

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I wouldn't disagree with you on this, my point was that Mac usually got his first 4 or 5 commits from the camps he ran. Cheez only had one summer of camps, so I guess it would have been hard to attract good kids to them with no track record. I am hoping that the quality staff that we have now will attract more quality to the camps. Anyone know what they have scheduled?

agree

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Not to get back into the "this coach recruited better than that coach" debate, I always felt DMac took bigger risks on kids panning out, staying out of trouble, or showing up at all. Like 2004: Patrick, Gunn, Coleman, and Thompson - 2 were no shows (not 100% sure on that, but assume so...) and 2 got into trouble and were gone. Those were 4 of the top guys from that class, rankings-wise...

Patrick was the only one who didn't enroll. You might have included Gunn - he had some injuries, but he likely would not have made much of an impact even without them.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
What the heck happens when one of thos UT recruits doesn't pan out? Do they just pull the offer after their senior year is over?

I believe they let him play one year and then help him find a new position in life. Texas and Oklahoma usually throw a huge mid summer recruit party every year to book their players early so that the rest can find other schools.