Renovations Before Moving

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
The move vs. renovate thread from yesterday got me thinking a bit...

We're pretty set on moving in probably 1.5 years (summer of 2022) from our first home. Our house is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath with an additional bedroom in the basement that is conforming w/ egress. I've considered adding a 2nd bathroom in the basement - nothing fancy, just a fairly simple bathroom with full size shower.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on if a project like this is worth it. Obviously it would help sell our house a bit easier once that time comes as I'm sure many people will just not even look at a 1 bedroom house, and we'd get the benefit of using the 2nd bathroom for a year or so. I just don't want to spend $10k on a bathroom if it's only going to add $5,000 to the sales price.

Thoughts? Would also appreciate hearing stories of renovations you all have done (not necessarily just bathrooms) before selling.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
In your house, would the basement get a lot of use? From a functional standpoint, if no one really uses the basement, then a bathroom down there, to me, wouldn't be much of a value. It would look good on the MLS stat sheet though having a second bathroom.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
In your house, would the basement get a lot of use? From a functional standpoint, if no one really uses the basement, then a bathroom down there, to me, wouldn't be much of a value. It would look good on the MLS stat sheet though having a second bathroom.
Good question. Basement is finished and is where our main TV watching area is. We use it quite a bit.

The bedroom down here we use as a guest bedroom and my office while WFH, so it gets used quite frequently.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I would say if you keep the second bathroom basic, you can keep expenses lower (depending on if you have to actually create the space or not; plumbing will always be pricey). If that's where the family/tv room is, I would say it would get significant use and be a selling point for a prospective buyer. A few upgrades and touch-ups here and there and your house will stand out among those in the same price range/age (meaning you can be on the higher end of the comps and still sell quickly).

Last edited:

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
As I understand it, anything that adds finished SF to a house generally increases the value and is a good return on the cost. Given your house size, it seems like it would bump you up a “class” in housing market as having only 1 bath may limit your buyer pool.

I would keep costs low without going dirt cheap. You’ll have to balance quality with the fact that it’s just for selling purposes.
Of course this comes with the caveat that this all depends on what the market is like in 1.5 years, as others have said.

Reactions: ianoconnor

clone4life82

Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Question I would ask is is the basement roughed in for a bathroom? If so then less work is required. If you need to run new water lines and more importantly sanitary lines from any significant distance, your cost is going to increase a lot (especially if you have to tear into you already finished basement areas).

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Good question. Basement is finished and is where our main TV watching area is. We use it quite a bit.

The bedroom down here we use as a guest bedroom and my office while WFH, so it gets used quite frequently.

With that information, I would say go for it since its where you family room is. Also guests that stay over will enjoy having their own shower.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Question I would ask is is the basement roughed in for a bathroom? If so then less work is required. If you need to run new water lines and more importantly sanitary lines from any significant distance, your cost is going to increase a lot (especially if you have to tear into you already finished basement areas).
It's not roughed in, but the sanitary line is probably within 5-10 feet. The bathroom would be in a currently unfinished part of the basement that is just storage and mechanical.

Seems like overall it's probably the right decision to make. I appreciate everyones input!

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
If the basement has a bedroom AND is the main area you watch TV then I think it's wise to add the bathroom. Who knows if you'll actually get feedback from potential buyers, but I would imagine no bathroom down there would turn some potential buyers away.......and a lot of people want to purchase something that's finished and not have a project to complete.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Agree with most. A second bathroom is a must. We went from a 1 toilet in our first house to 4 in our current. No longer a race to toilet when we get home. I would never go back to only 1.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

10000000000% add a bathroom in your basement. It doesn't have to be fancy. But as a former home buyer, we would have bought several houses before the one we live in now if they had bathrooms in the basement. No bathroom in the basement is a non-starter for a TON of buyers.

Nothing worse than having to run upstairs when you're watching TV in the basement to go pee... (First world problems)

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The move vs. renovate thread from yesterday got me thinking a bit...

We're pretty set on moving in probably 1.5 years (summer of 2022) from our first home. Our house is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath with an additional bedroom in the basement that is conforming w/ egress. I've considered adding a 2nd bathroom in the basement - nothing fancy, just a fairly simple bathroom with full size shower.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on if a project like this is worth it. Obviously it would help sell our house a bit easier once that time comes as I'm sure many people will just not even look at a 1 bedroom house, and we'd get the benefit of using the 2nd bathroom for a year or so. I just don't want to spend $10k on a bathroom if it's only going to add $5,000 to the sales price.

Thoughts? Would also appreciate hearing stories of renovations you all have done (not necessarily just bathrooms) before selling.

First.......where did you come up with the 10k figure? That's a lot for adding a bath....anywhere. Next, don't look at it like a money making venture...something that you will enjoy while there that will help move the house quicker when it's time to sell. Especially if it's a full bath. I recommend not putting in a 3/4 bath.....if you have the room make it a full size. Two full baths in a house help with resale.

Back to the cost....outside of having to tie into the main sewer line...where does that estimate come from? A plumber shouldn't be more than a couple of grand...if that. Heck, you could bust out the concrete and then re-pour it after they do there work to save money. And I know setting the tub and finishing the shower walls don't cost 7-8k. The only way you should pay that much is if it is stone from top to bottom. Not some fancy plastic surround with drywall and paint.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Keep it basic. A simple vanity, toilet etc from Menards is fine. Make sure you use a licensed plumber and make sure the permitting process is handled properly. This may add a bit of pain but you'll make sure things are done right. If you aren't doing tile the plumber can probably do most of the work. You can do the painting on your own I would guess.

Depending on what you are doing I'd say $3,500-$5,000 in total. Trades folks are SUPER busy right now though so there could be some elevated costs and the timing may not end up how you'd like.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I'd say do it. Adding a second full bathroom would be a major deal when it comes to listing. As Tre said, lots of would-be buyers would probably lose interest the second they saw it has one bathroom.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
First.......where did you come up with the 10k figure? That's a lot for adding a bath....anywhere. Next, don't look at it like a money making venture...something that you will enjoy while there that will help move the house quicker when it's time to sell. Especially if it's a full bath. I recommend not putting in a 3/4 bath.....if you have the room make it a full size. Two full baths in a house help with resale.

Back to the cost....outside of having to tie into the main sewer line...where does that estimate come from? A plumber shouldn't be more than a couple of grand...if that. Heck, you could bust out the concrete and then re-pour it after they do there work to save money. And I know setting the tub and finishing the shower walls don't cost 7-8k. The only way you should pay that much is if it is stone from top to bottom. Not some fancy plastic surround with drywall and paint.
The estimate was simply my mostly uneducated ballpark guess. I haven't involved any contractors at this point. Good to hear I can likely get it done for cheaper.

You think buyers would prefer a 2nd full tub versus a full size shower like this: https://www.menards.com/main/bath/s...5-c-5882.htm?tid=-7403605641668008314&ipos=19

Personally, I'd prefer the shower as we have a tub upstairs.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The estimate was simply my mostly uneducated ballpark guess. I haven't involved any contractors at this point. Good to hear I can likely get it done for cheaper.

You think buyers would prefer a 2nd full tub versus a full size shower like this: https://www.menards.com/main/bath/s...5-c-5882.htm?tid=-7403605641668008314&ipos=19

Personally, I'd prefer the shower as we have a tub upstairs.
As long as you one tub in the house personally I think the full sized shower in the basement would be fine assuming your upstairs bath isn't part of a master bedroom set-up. We've got 3 full bathrooms in our house and only 1 tub. If you need a hand with anything just let me know, I'd come swing a hammer for you for beers and some catching up.