Renovations Before Moving

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Why hot water heater is getting tired. I plan to live in the house only a couple more years at most. Would love to hear buyers opinions on getting a tankless water heater and if that would be another marketing tools for the house.

House is about $390K, Western suburbs of DSM

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Why hot water heater is getting tired. I plan to live in the house only a couple more years at most. Would love to hear buyers opinions on getting a tankless water heater and if that would be another marketing tools for the house.

Am not a buyer, but have redone many homes to sell and have never heard they bring more value than a new tank. I think if what is there is new that will be more the selling point. JMHO

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
The move vs. renovate thread from yesterday got me thinking a bit...

We're pretty set on moving in probably 1.5 years (summer of 2022) from our first home. Our house is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath with an additional bedroom in the basement that is conforming w/ egress. I've considered adding a 2nd bathroom in the basement - nothing fancy, just a fairly simple bathroom with full size shower.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on if a project like this is worth it. Obviously it would help sell our house a bit easier once that time comes as I'm sure many people will just not even look at a 1 bedroom house, and we'd get the benefit of using the 2nd bathroom for a year or so. I just don't want to spend $10k on a bathroom if it's only going to add $5,000 to the sales price.

Thoughts? Would also appreciate hearing stories of renovations you all have done (not necessarily just bathrooms) before selling.

~ Haven't read through the responses, but a 2nd bathroom would be a must I would think-- it also increases the finished square footage (albeit small amt) and will open up your home to a larger pool of buyers.

The last 20-24 months have been crazy, and buyers have been making offers on homes from a 3D video or just pictures.

One thing not to do---don't spend 30K on a new kitchen, etc. It will help you sell faster but you won't recoup anywhere near the investment. The best way is to add finished square feet.

Also, you can probably sell the home on your own. Have a good photographer take exterior/interior pics, and create your own listing on Zillow. Don't try to take your own pics with a cell phone.
~ If in the DM area, look into FSBOHomes.com

You do NOT need your home listed on the MLS.
~ A complete myth that realtors try to convince their prospective sellers. NOBODY goes through the MLS. Antiquated, outdated and unnecessary. 95% of buyers find their own homes through Zillow, Trulia, realtor.com

Selling it yourself--just find a real estate attorney and/or closing company to handle the purchase agreement/deed documents, and signing. Easy stuff

Reactions: mb7299

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Sorry for the 2nd reply......but as an example if you are going to spend that kind of money, you can get a brand new HE commercial 80 gallon tank for the price of a good tank less. And 80 gallon is a "wow" factor.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com

We experienced the Derecho (land hurricane) in Aug. 2020-- Power was out in Linn County from 2 days-several weeks

We had the standard gas water heater w/out the electronic Automatic Hot Water Heater Shut Off System or control valve.

We were without power for 8 sweltering days--- but our gas water heater was great and we had hot showers

We just replaced our water heater and went with a simple system again--that will operate with future power outages.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
I think you can use a cell phone camera to take your own pictures. Quite a few cell phone cameras are very good, if not better, than some "regular" cameras. That said, you also have to make sure you take the right pictures (people don't care what about close ups of your outside flowers or decor in the home) and stage the home for the pictures (toilet lids closed, remove clutter, make it look better than you would for a showing).

I've used my cell phone camera to take pictures of the last two homes we've sold and the realtors used them for the listing. The pictures are just as good, if not better, than many I've seen online. Our most recent home sold in September for over asking price.

Another idea: Take some good outside pictures of your home during different seasons. If you sell your home during the winter, but it looks absolutely stunning during the summer or fall because of the landscaping, it's nice to have one of those pictures to include in the listing so potential buyers can see.

Reactions: cstrunk

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think you can use a cell phone camera to take your own pictures. Quite a few cell phone cameras are very good, if not better, than some "regular" cameras. That said, you also have to make sure you take the right pictures (people don't care what about close ups of your outside flowers or decor in the home) and stage the home for the pictures (toilet lids closed, remove clutter, make it look better than you would for a showing).

I've used my cell phone camera to take pictures of the last two homes we've sold and the realtors used them for the listing. The pictures are just as good, if not better, than many I've seen online. Our most recent home sold in September for over asking price.

Another idea: Take some good outside pictures of your home during different seasons. If you sell your home during the winter, but it looks absolutely stunning during the summer or fall because of the landscaping, it's nice to have one of those pictures to include in the listing so potential buyers can see.
Do room videos. Those go a lot better than pictures. I’ve known places I went to appraise and we always take a quick look ahead of time to get an idea what we are getting into. Seen house pictures where you showed up and a wall was gutted behind the picture or torn up flooring behind where the picture showed. A video that turns around will give a better idea of the house.

• Agree
Reactions: RLD4ISU

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
Thread resurrect here. I again am looking for a plumber to install a basement bathroom. Toilet. Sink and shower tub combo. Also extractor vent. The catch is the house is from 1962 and the sewer line is 5 feet in the air so I need a Maserator pump lift kit. Any recommendations of companies that would be able to do this? Thanks.