running game

AntiSnob

Mar 1, 2009
i remember reading in Phil steele's magazine that ISU led the Big XII North in rushing one year in the late 90s or early 00s and how that was impressive considering how great a ground game Nebraska had then.

Do you guys think it is possible that it might happen this next season, even though the opposing teams return Washington, sharp, and helu?

I mean think of this play. Arnaud gets the snap from shotgun surrounded by Schwartz on the strong side and Robinson on the weak side and he then:

hands off to Schwartz, if there is running room up the middle he gives it to him or if there is no running room he fakes it to him to draw the D off guard

Robinson meanwhile sweeps underneath and Arnaud could pitch to Robinson if the defense has swarmed to Schwartz

if Arnaud worries that they will lose yards if he pitches to Robinson then he takes it himself

and if then if the running lanes are cut off Arnaud drops back and throws to one of the three receivers down field as a last resort.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think we should go with the old fashioned Winged-T :jimlad:

All jokes aside, seeing as all Big 12 D's appear to be moving to 4-2-5 with Hybrid type linebackers, the old school OU and Nebbie power run teams would probably run right over today's Ds.

cystud

Apr 15, 2006
i remember reading in Phil steele's magazine that ISU led the Big XII North in rushing one year in the late 90s or early 00s and how that was impressive considering how great a ground game Nebraska had then.

Do you guys think it is possible that it might happen this next season, even though the opposing teams return Washington, sharp, and helu?

I mean think of this play. Arnaud gets the snap from shotgun surrounded by Schwartz on the strong side and Robinson on the weak side and he then:

hands off to Schwartz, if there is running room up the middle he gives it to him or if there is no running room he fakes it to him to draw the D off guard

Robinson meanwhile sweeps underneath and Arnaud could pitch to Robinson if the defense has swarmed to Schwartz

if Arnaud worries that they will lose yards if he pitches to Robinson then he takes it himself

and if then if the running lanes are cut off Arnaud drops back and throws to one of the three receivers down field as a last resort.

Do you really have a degree? If you do, please tell me it isn't from ISU....

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

And we get a flag for inelligable receiver downfield because the offensive line was run blocking rather then pass blocking. Believe me, if this were possible it would have been done by now.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
All jokes aside, seeing as all Big 12 D's appear to be moving to 4-2-5 with Hybrid type linebackers, the old school OU and Nebbie power run teams would probably run right over today's Ds.

Yea, actually after I said that, I started thinking about it and I watched a few videos on youtube and I think it would probably work.

More of a Base style wing-t offense. I know it's a plug for my hometown highschool (and I now highschool is much different than college), but this is the style offense that we run, and usually went against defenses with 9 or 10 guys in the box and were still successful.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tay2FCoK1l0]YouTube - PAC/P-P Football Highlight Video, 2008 (Part 1)[/ame]

I know we'd never run this type of offense but with 3 talented backs, it'd be cool to see them try some type of offense that got those 3 all involved

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yea, actually after I said that, I started thinking about it and I watched a few videos on youtube and I think it would probably work.

More of a Base style wing-t offense. I know it's a plug for my hometown highschool (and I now highschool is much different than college), but this is the style offense that we run, and usually went against defenses with 9 or 10 guys in the box and were still successful.
YouTube - PAC/P-P Football Highlight Video, 2008 (Part 1)

I know we'd never run this type of offense but with 3 talented backs, it'd be cool to see them try some type of offense that got those 3 all involved

I played my HS football at Newton, and 75% of our offense was run out of a T-formation. It worked nicely. :yes:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

I'm surprised we didn't lead it more than that. We had an awesome running game whe the Davis Brothers and Ennis Haywood were in town. As a matter of fact we were kinda spoiled having that many good running backs back to back.

We lost that great running game after Ennis graduated that's when our team started it's downward spiral.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
I'm surprised we didn't lead it more than that. We had an awesome running game whe the Davis Brothers and Ennis Haywood were in town. As a matter of fact we were kinda spoiled having that many good running backs back to back.

We lost that great running game after Ennis graduated that's when our team started it's downward spiral.

Just a quick observation i've made about our running game the last few years.

1.) Our offensive line has had an extremely high pad level and seems to not get off the line when we run.

2.) Our running backs dance way too much. (Stevie tipytoes Hicks)
A-Rob is getting better. I just feel like the backs need to hit the hole a lot harder also.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa

There is pretty much reason ISU can't currently do this. Recruiting.

And it's two-fold. The other problem you run into is even if you have offensive recruits for this still of grinding offense the Spread-style passing attacks you have to face will still own your defense in most cases.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008

Arnaud also ties his shoe, waves to his mom, and calls his buddy on his cell phone to say, "hey man turn on fox sports and check out this pass I'm going to throw here in a couple minutes."

You just described football as if it's played like scrabble. "Hmmm... no, wait. Let's see... hand me the dictionary."

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
we should have put bates at the running back last season with arnaud at the qb slot. i think phil would have been a great rb with his size and speed. i think b4 this coming season is over bo williams will see plenty of touches.

AntiSnob

Mar 1, 2009
There is pretty much reason ISU can't currently do this. Recruiting.

And it's two-fold. The other problem you run into is even if you have offensive recruits for this still of grinding offense the Spread-style passing attacks you have to face will still own your defense in most cases.

running a grind it out offense will keep those spread teams off the field which is a good way to play defense.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
running a grind it out offense will keep those spread teams off the field which is a good way to play defense.

I think that's a cliche stance. Easier said than done.

I haven't done a statistical analysis of it, but generally it seems like the the grind it out teams end up being forced into playing a faster, higher scoring alternative when they beat the Spread teams. Show me some data that supports Spread teams being beat by having their offensive output throttled in a low-scoring match-up and I might alter my opinion. But when we beat Florida in 2007 it wasn't by grinding it out on offense in a low-scoring affair and throttling their offensive scoring. Most games I think of off hand follow roughly that model.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Yeah, that's why Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler are still coaching.

Well to be fair, Woody's not coaching anymore because he decided to grind a kid's face out with his fist :wink: