Sean Shaw Jr flew under the recruiting radar

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Not sure if this would factor in at all, but he’s an incredibly smart guy who comes from a family of smart people. Getting his degree could be a factor that plays in our favor and makes him come back for his fourth year here.

IMO the smart move is making millions now and getting the degree later.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think Hall and Shaw have the potential to be our next Montgomery & Butler duo. Lot of similarities in how they play, Hall has really taken a grip on the RB job like DM did in the 2nd half of his freshman season and Shaw has that same tall build as Butler at 6'6" that with another 10-15lbs on his frame might be that big deep threat Purdy can just air it out to where only he can get to it like Butler was.

Still wish we'd run some more plays for Kolar too. 6'6" 252 lb TE that can catch the ball, just seems like some games we don't target him enough. Good to see him get 5 catches against Texas but the week before he only got 2 and seemed like he wasn't being used much in the passing game then obviously Purdy didn't see him wide open on the 2 point attempt.

Very excited though with the underclassmen at skill positions contributing right away in the Campbell era. We rarely would not redshirt true freshmen under previous staffs and even then it took a lot of our better recruits until about their junior year to really develop into playmakers.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
He's got great size and made some really nice plays this year. On a roster full of guys that can get yards, Sean is really surprising me. He's really got a bright future here.

Only other power school that offered him was Kansas. What a steal.
I'm definitely a recruiting junky and I was super excited for this kid to sign with the Cyclones.

He was rated for a long time as a 4 star by Rivals, but his rating dipped after his senior season.

I believe there was a lot of interest from P5 schools, but they were hesitant to pull the trigger on a scholly since his athletic measurables were pretty bad. He ran a 4.9 forty, 4.7 shuttle and had a 27 inch Vertical. Not what I would consider a P5 athlete.

However, his long speed is definitely suitable for P5 and that height... WHEW! He also runs superb routes and he has reliable hands.

I thought we wouldn't see him blossom until next year, but I'm glad we are see him get lots of play. He is definitely a big time student of the game; He was working on routes every day over the summer.

That whole 2018 class is full of studs, and Campbell has said the 2019 is the best by far. The future is bright.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Based on nothing, but I think Kolar comes back next year.

I think he will be playing in the NFL some day but I think he's at least another season away from having to make that decision on leaving early. He surely will be one of the guys the staff will say needs to get NFL draft feedback this year but I doubt his stock is to the point that he's guaranteed to be drafted yet or if he does anything more than a late round pick. Just searching for 2020 NFL draft tight end rankings not seeing his name come up on any sites yet.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Chase seems to has some deceitful size that the NFL may be seeking as well. I think the league may hold off on drafting TE's in 1st round next year, seems like Hockenson hasn't been playing very well lately.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm definitely a recruiting junky and I was super excited for this kid to sign with the Cyclones.

He was rated for a long time as a 4 star by Rivals, but his rating dipped after his senior season.

I believe there was a lot of interest from P5 schools, but they were hesitant to pull the trigger on a scholly since his athletic measurables were pretty bad. He ran a 4.9 forty, 4.7 shuttle and had a 27 inch Vertical. Not what I would consider a P5 athlete.

However, his long speed is definitely suitable for P5 and that height... WHEW! He also runs superb routes and he has reliable hands.

I thought we wouldn't see him blossom until next year, but I'm glad we are see him get lots of play. He is definitely a big time student of the game; He was working on routes every day over the summer.

That whole 2018 class is full of studs, and Campbell has said the 2019 is the best by far. The future is bright.

This season has had its frustrations with the close losses but this is a very talented team and like your last sentence says, the future looks bright. It's possible we look back at this season as kind of a rebuild type of year. There are a ton of fr/so's in the two deep and many are starting at really important spots.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I love Shaw as a receiver. He's looked excellent. I'm not sold on his blocking yet-- but I haven't exactly been focused on that aspect either. I just know that one play stood out to me when watching the game Saturday. I think it was Jones who got a throw out to the right side, with Shaw in front of him as a blocker, and the defender went right through Shaw to blow up the play.

But again, that's one play out of many snaps for Shaw, and I haven't been grading them all.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
This season has had its frustrations with the close losses but this is a very talented team and like your last sentence says, the future looks bright. It's possible we look back at this season as kind of a rebuild type of year. There are a ton of fr/so's in the two deep and many are starting at really important spots.
Rebuild would imply we've built it before. haha.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
SIAP

Has Scates seen the field the past two games?