Seat selection

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Oh, and the only time I get annoyed with people "cheering" is when all they do is yell that the coach/players screwed up, using negative reinforcement instead of cheering.
We had a guy behind us a couple of years ago where all he did was yell "put so & so in" and then when so & so went in and biffed the play, he would yell that "so & so sucks and why did they put him in". He also had a habit of griping about every...single...play...because it wasn't the play HE would have called. Talk about vibe killing...

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I had a similar experience for the Kansas game. Had different seats than usual so I don’t know if it was a bunch of casuals or what but I got a ton of dirty looks. I’m well aware that I get way more into the game than I probably should but nobody else up where I was remotely cared about what was going on.
I think we would get along very well!

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Oh, and the only time I get annoyed with people "cheering" is when all they do is yell that the coach/players screwed up, using negative reinforcement instead of cheering.
We had a guy behind us a couple of years ago where all he did was yell "put so & so in" and then when so & so went in and biffed the play, he would yell that "so & so sucks and why did they put him in". He also had a habit of griping about every...single...play...because it wasn't the play HE would have called. Talk about vibe killing...
Agreed. I don't ever dog on our players... they are college kids. I usually will cheer for good plays, boo the refs when warranted... and complain about our September offense play calling. I never swear, or use any language that a young kid might hear.

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
We're probably moving to seats higher up. We're halfway down on the lower bowl, west side, and I thought I would love the seats. The problem is the angle is flat enough that I miss the exciting stuff when everyone jumps up (I can't jump up as fast as them), and even standing up I can't see over them. Half of the time I can't even see the big screen. I love being down there...until the game starts!
We’re in the second highest row of the lower bowl on the west side. I like the seats and you get good perspective of the field. The bonus is you get shade about 2:30 on those first hot games. Our first season tickets were right on the 50 yard line about halfway up the upper level on the east side. I liked the perspective from there, but staring into the sun the whole game was not for me.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
We’re in the second highest row of the lower bowl on the west side. I like the seats and you get good perspective of the field. The bonus is you get shade about 2:30 on those first hot games. Our first season tickets were right on the 50 yard line about halfway up the upper level on the east side. I liked the perspective from there, but staring into the sun the whole game was not for me.
We were 50 yard line, 4th row upper deck, east side for years. I finally got fed up with the sun in my eyes every game, and now that I wear glasses all the time it's worse. We've been bouncing around the west side for 4-5 years now trying to find seats we like to sit in. There are several sets on the aisles that are 4-5 rows from the top at or near 50 yard-line that we are eyeballing right now. The problem is, we have three tickets (we want to get rid of one of them) and the seat groupings are four seats. We're hoping we can get two and get rid of our third ticket, but you know how THAT goes.

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
We were 50 yard line, 4th row upper deck, east side for years. I finally got fed up with the sun in my eyes every game, and now that I wear glasses all the time it's worse. We've been bouncing around the west side for 4-5 years now trying to find seats we like to sit in. There are several sets on the aisles that are 4-5 rows from the top at or near 50 yard-line that we are eyeballing right now. The problem is, we have three tickets (we want to get rid of one of them) and the seat groupings are four seats. We're hoping we can get two and get rid of our third ticket, but you know how THAT goes.
It seems like whenever I have my eye on some seats in the preview, they disappear 10 minutes before my time!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Those would be ideal seats. Few stairs, could actually use facilities during a TV timeout. We occasionally use relatives seats in row 5 of lower bowl, but you have to watch the screen a lot due to the players on sideline.

We have cheap seats at the top of the stadium in SW corner. Big issue there is how many opposing fans buy tickets there. Also, we are old and still do the stairs there better than some people half our age, but won’t last forever. I rarely drink much during the game though so I don’t have to miss a bunch of it just going to the restrooms.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Those would be ideal seats. Few stairs, could actually use facilities during a TV timeout. We occasionally use relatives seats in row 5 of lower bowl, but you have to watch the screen a lot due to the players on sideline.

We have cheap seats at the top of the stadium in SW corner. Big issue there is how many opposing fans buy tickets there. Also, we are old and still do the stairs there better than some people half our age, but won’t last forever. I rarely drink much during the game though so I don’t have to miss a bunch of it just going to the restrooms.
My knees do NOT like stairs with no handrails. :(

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My knees do NOT like stairs with no handrails. :(
They have them in our section. A lot of people just either intoxicated or in bad shape have trouble with them. Back when CSC did security, my brother was up chatting with me at half and was able to radio for medical immediately on a guy that collapsed and was worried he was having a heart attack.

My big issue is just trying not to miss the game if weak bladder since the nine pound baby acts up.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
anyone have luck with the ticket office leaving one seat if you call in ?

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
anyone have luck with the ticket office leaving one seat if you call in ?
Two years ago, yes. Last year, no. This year our granddaughter is no longer going to be able to go to games with us, so we dropped one of our three seats and moved to a different area, selecting two seats out of a group of four (so leaving a pair behind).

Sometimes it really feels like who you talk to at the ticket office, on what day during the selection process, and what kind of mood they're in. :(

Good luck!

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Two years ago, yes. Last year, no. This year our granddaughter is no longer going to be able to go to games with us, so we dropped one of our three seats and moved to a different area, selecting two seats out of a group of four (so leaving a pair behind).

Sometimes it really feels like who you talk to at the ticket office, on what day during the selection process, and what kind of mood they're in. :(

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Trying to move 4 at a time is a pain.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks for the info. Trying to move 4 at a time is a pain.
You may have better luck leaving one out of five than one out of three. One of the suggestions they had for us in the past was to buy the extra ticket, then drop one ticket the following year. So, essentially we would pay for three tickets in order to get our butts into two of the seats. Not ideal.

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
I'm gonna move seats for sure. Last year I moved to seats that I really thought I would like (and I did)... but one huge problem: The row in front of me was full of 70+ year olds... They would turn around and give you dirty looks if you cheered or booed (I even kept my language clean). Apparently the concept of yelling in a ballgame was lost on them. I sincerely hope they stay in the nursing home from now on and just watch episodes of Matlock and Murder She Wrote. They are killing the vibe at the games.
We used to sit in section F and moved for the same reason. The section was full of people who refused to cheer. Ended up moving to the corner, saved a lot of money, and have more fun now!