SEC/Big Ten Developing Plan to Share Revenue with Athletes

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I hope so, but I have doubts that all of the athletes will want to form a union, specifically the guys at the top. I don't see a lot of incentive for a guy like Shadeur Sanders to join a union, that would ultimately be limiting for him. Top level guys like him already have lots of power, freedom and value. What does a union membership give them that they don't already have?
I also think that limited eligibility works against the attractiveness of a union. A lot of the long term security that a union provides is negated because players will only be in it for 4-5 years maximum. They could always remove the eligibility cap, but then you're competing against the NFL/NBA for players, and that's not a fight that you would want.

Not saying a union can't or won't happen, but I just don't know that it necessarily is the silver bullet that it's often made out to be.
I'm not expert on collective bargaining in any way shape or form so please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it for the benefit of the masses? Agree top guys wouldn't like it, but I don't think they would have an option if 95% of players demanded it (along with the schools who desperately want and need some rules and order to this madness).

NIL never goes away, but would become supplementary, not the driver of pay.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm not expert on collective bargaining in any way shape or form so please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it for the benefit of the masses? Agree top guys wouldn't like it, but I don't think they would have an option if 95% of players demanded it (along with the schools who desperately want and need some rules and order to this madness).

NIL never goes away, but would become supplementary, not the driver of pay.
A player can't be forced to join a union, though. If the top end guys decide they don't think that union membership would be beneficial to them, they don't join. And the union doesn't get the benefit of their clout in negotiations.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It is a certainty that money will eventually be able to be used for paying players. Simply a matter of when, but I'd wager it'll be sooner than later.

Then it will truly be a P2 system.
It won't really change anything. That money is already getting to the players. These guys all want to get to the NFL. You don't get there sitting on a bench with no film.

I think the big change is that the Big 10 and SEC will quit sharing revenue equally.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
All they have to do is move it a little. Money normally coming in from donors for facilities will be used for players and facilities and scholarships can be paid for with media money. When they start making around 50 million more per year just coming from their media contract it will make a big difference.
Only if they are allowed to shift that money from media over to the players. Right now, I have not read about a huge shift with school telling their fans to give their donations to NIL instead of the school. Look at ISU you have to donate to move to the better seats, is the university going to allow you to donate the money to the Cyclone NIL instead of the university, and still count it like they currently do?

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
A player can't be forced to join a union, though. If the top end guys decide they don't think that union membership would be beneficial to them, they don't join. And the union doesn't get the benefit of their clout in negotiations.
Understand your point to some extent, but I just can't see this as a big issue. There would be different levels of pay for experience ability and performance and a salary cap... its not like everyone makes the same. It would function just like the NFL which appears to work.

If an individual player didn't like their contract options in college, they wouldn't have to play and could then explore their NFL options I suppose.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I hope so, but I have doubts that all of the athletes will want to form a union, specifically the guys at the top. I don't see a lot of incentive for a guy like Shadeur Sanders to join a union, that would ultimately be limiting for him. Top level guys like him already have lots of power, freedom and value. What does a union membership give them that they don't already have?
I also think that limited eligibility works against the attractiveness of a union. A lot of the long term security that a union provides is negated because players will only be in it for 4-5 years maximum. They could always remove the eligibility cap, but then you're competing against the NFL/NBA for players, and that's not a fight that you would want.

Not saying a union can't or won't happen, but I just don't know that it necessarily is the silver bullet that it's often made out to be.
I really only see unions being attractive to 1) programs that can't compete at a high level, 2) guys that aren't in the 2-deep, and 3) sports outside of CFB and CMBB.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Understand your point to some extent, but I just can't see this as a big issue. There would be different levels of pay for experience ability and performance and a salary cap... its not like everyone makes the same. It would function just like the NFL which appears to work.

If an individual player didn't like their contract options in college, they wouldn't have to play and could then explore their NFL options I suppose.
You're already ten steps ahead though. I think there are significant challenges to even get the union formed to negotiate things like a salary cap and levels of pay. And even if the union does get formed, and a star player decides not to join, are they subject to the rules negotiated by the union? If a university tries to enforce those rules on a non union player, does it invite lawsuits?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I really only see unions being attractive to 1) programs that can't compete at a high level, 2) guys that aren't in the 2-deep, and 3) sports outside of CFB and CMBB.
Do you think that’s true of pro sports?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
You're already ten steps ahead though. I think there are significant challenges to even get the union formed to negotiate things like a salary cap and levels of pay. And even if the union does get formed, and a star player decides not to join, are they subject to the rules negotiated by the union? If a university tries to enforce those rules on a non union player, does it invite lawsuits?
How do the NBA, NFL, etc handle this? Not like there isn’t a blueprint already.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
How do the NBA, NFL, etc handle this? Not like there isn’t a blueprint already.
Those leagues and their corresponding unions existed prior to things like free agency and salary caps. Additionally, the potential for longer careers in the established pro leagues, makes some of the benefits that the union provides more attractive. With 4-5 years of max eligibility in a college sports union, things like pensions and long term care, won't likely be on the table, or if they are, they won't carry as much value as they do in leagues where the career lengths are much longer.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Be careful what you wish for. As soon as the collective model is canned, season tickets will be 3-4 x. Parking pass will probably be another whole donation level in itself. To pay the athletes, the athletic departments' and the universities will have zero impact to the funds they keep and use as it is today. Its all about how to get it/more from the customers (fans and donors).

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Be careful what you wish for. As soon as the collective model is canned, season tickets will be 3-4 x. Parking pass will probably be another whole donation level in itself. To pay the athletes, the athletic departments' and the universities will have zero impact to the funds they keep and use as it is today. Its all about how to get it/more from the customers (fans and donors).
Yea, not sure most fans want to be footing the bill for college football/basketball players to make more money than they take home to feed their families annually. Agree that donations and attendance would probably drop.

But if the revenue sharing is a split of TV money, then much easier for Joe fan to buy into. The players still can make NIL $ on top of "salary" to compensate elite athletes fairly.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Kinda depends what state your team is wouldn’t it be, whether you would be forced to join a union?

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Yea, not sure most fans want to be footing the bill for college football/basketball players to make more money than they take home to feed their families annually. Agree that donations and attendance would probably drop.

But if the revenue sharing is a split of TV money, then much easier for Joe fan to buy into. The players still can make NIL $ on top of "salary" to compensate elite athletes fairly.
Admin salaries, coaching salaries, travel and recruiting costs will not change. Facility spend and money needed to pay for athlete amenities will not change. So they may "split" the revenues, but only if they have more coming in to cover the new out flows.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
You know, the SEC is spending all its money on the premise that it’s going to increase for ever. I don’t think they thought about what happens if ESPN loses money on the 10-year deal and their next contract is not as sweet. Let’s not forget ESPN lost its shirt on the shorthorn network. In that light, ditching CBS and putting all your eggs in one basket is not a smart play after all. Maybe doesn’t happen, but it is a very real possibility.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Admin salaries, coaching salaries, travel and recruiting costs will not change. Facility spend and money needed to pay for athlete amenities will not change. So they may "split" the revenues, but only if they have more coming in to cover the new out flows.
That's why the Big10/SEC are aggressively trying to add brands. ESPN and FOX were willing to pay the Big10/SEC $30M+ more than Big12/ACC. And more recently the Big10/SEC strong-armed the Big12/ACC to get a bigger share of 12 team CFP revenue. In the 4 team structure all P5 schools were getting $6-$8M. The Big12 schools were each getting most since we only had 10 teams in conference. Now the Big10 & SEC are getting $22M per school and Big12 schools are getting around $13M annually.

So just 12 team CFP money, each Big10/SEC school has $16M of new revenue sharing money.

• Sad
Reactions: Cyclone06

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Kinda depends what state your team is wouldn’t it be, whether you would be forced to join a union?
Sort of. If they created a union security agreement a player can refuse to join, or join as an objector, which may require a portion of the dues, but nowhere can they require full union membership, outside of a few very specific industries, where exceptions have been made. But regardless, there are enough right to work states that it makes the prospect of forced union membership nearly moot.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I disagree with this. ADs are non-profits, and in the past, as their revenues increased they had to spend it on something. That’s how we got the constant arms race of new facilities, renovations, large recruiting budgets for private planes and etc., athlete specific housing, etc. Once you start paying players, I think these things slow down as money is redirected towards the players and not a new locker room every couple years. In the past, you recruited players with these flashy new things. The future will be all about the money, just like pro leagues (I’m pretty sure the top college teams have flashier facilities than the pros).

I do think coaches will continue to be paid well, but I think the rate of those increases will slow down as well.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
How about they also share some revenue towards tuition costs for all students?
Maybe sounds good in theory. But Universities are greedy little buggers. If a new source shows up to pay tuition, you think they will not take advantage of it? Tuition goes up, the student keeps paying the same, and all the extra money goes into the University pot of gold. You can't beat 'em. They are worse than government, IMO. At least the government has to win your vote.