SEC/Big Ten Developing Plan to Share Revenue with Athletes

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston

Cincy would pay the same as Ohio State for NIL settlement. Not fair. How about the settlement is a % of the school's revenue? Ohio State has had athletes with more NIL and thus more damages from restricting NIL should apply to Ohio State.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Football, MBB, WBB, VB, SB, BASE are going to be your only survivors.
It stinks but embrace debate. Would we rather those sports pay and keep us in the highest level or keep track and field and play ball with the fcs?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
It stinks but embrace debate. Would we rather those sports pay and keep us in the highest level or keep track and field and play ball with the fcs?
Give me football, men & women basketball, wrestling and to even it out volleyball.

If no wrestling then bye bye volleyball.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Those sports aren't going to survive at the FCS level either.

Bowlsby flat said UNI isn't going to have golf, swimming, tennis, track, cross country and, maybe, wrestling in 10 years. He's been pretty blunt about that stuff since he's been in town.

• Sad
Reactions: StClone

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Those sports aren't going to survive at the FCS level either.

Bowlsby flat said UNI isn't going to have golf, swimming, tennis, track, cross country and, maybe, wrestling in 10 years. He's been pretty blunt about that stuff since he's been in town.
I was talking about the level of football and basketball for Iowa state but yes I hate that those sports would be killed off at that level too.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO the whole damages/reparations is BS. Student-athletes since the beginning of time accepted scholarships knowing the deal. They got a scholarship which gave them the platform and development structure to pursue their professional dreams.

If the fans are on the financial hook, which directly or indirectly they will. I think a lot of alumni will be turned off.

Personally, I'd prefer 2 tiers of college sport with separate TV deals & championships.
  1. Semi-pro where athletes are employees with scholarship, revenue sharing and NIL administered by university.
  2. Traditional model where athletes receive scholarship and negotiate NIL independent of school & its boosters. There are expense caps for each sport and AD net profits go back to university general fund.
IMO college sports is quickly transforming to an activity which is outside the core mission of academic institutions. I'd rather see ISU choose the 2nd model.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Dodds article is two parts: the new topic, revenue sharing. The 2nd is to reinforce - again - that the Big 10 and SEC have much more revenue than others. Thanks Dodds, not like we haven't heard that before.
Has FriendlySpartan been on yet to tell us how good this will be for all the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rate conferences? I'll check back later.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Has FriendlySpartan been on yet to tell us how good this will be for all the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rate conferences? I'll check back later.
I’ve been pretty consistent that paying athletes directly from the schools (and making them employees) is the death knell for college sports especially most of the non revenue ones for most schools

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
It’s burning to the ground. To not have wrestling etc will have a huge impact in high school levels. This just ******* sucks.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
IMO the whole damages/reparations is BS. Student-athletes since the beginning of time accepted scholarships knowing the deal. They got a scholarship which gave them the platform and development structure to pursue their professional dreams.

If the fans are on the financial hook, which directly or indirectly they will. I think a lot of alumni will be turned off.

Personally, I'd prefer 2 tiers of college sport with separate TV deals & championships.
  1. Semi-pro where athletes are employees with scholarship, revenue sharing and NIL administered by university.
  2. Traditional model where athletes receive scholarship and negotiate NIL independent of school & its boosters. There are expense caps for each sport and AD net profits go back to university general fund.
IMO college sports is quickly transforming to an activity which is outside the core mission of academic institutions. I'd rather see ISU choose the 2nd model.

We passed that point years and years ago.

And as far as damages/reparations go, you might think it's BS, but the NCAA is going to end up paying them. They're negotiating the settlement as we speak. Just a matter of time. They'll settle because they don't want to get beat in court. And they know they'll get beat in court.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
As much as I enjoy/enjoyed college sports I can live with out them just as easy. We will see if I survive the new pricing structure to attend events live.

Reactions: 2Xclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
A player can't be forced to join a union, though. If the top end guys decide they don't think that union membership would be beneficial to them, they don't join. And the union doesn't get the benefit of their clout in negotiations.
They just get the Union rate.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It’s getting tough. They are almost pricing me out.

I listened to Pete and Eric long before I went to a game or set foot on campus, I can switch back JW & Eric on the radio is how I take in most away games anyway.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I listened to Pete and Eric long before I went to a game or set foot on campus, I can switch back JW & Eric on the radio is how I take in most away games anyway.
I may drop down to the cheap seats first since I will have a kid there for a few more years.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It won't really change anything. That money is already getting to the players. These guys all want to get to the NFL. You don't get there sitting on a bench with no film.

I think the big change is that the Big 10 and SEC will quit sharing revenue equally.
This is the fundamental conflict happening, wrt competitive balance.

The big brands don't want to share equally with the smaller ones. And the TV folks would just as soon have those big brands and don't really care about the smaller ones. That's the pull towards consolidation. And so far that has been at the conference level, and the conferences (mostly the B1G & SEC) have been driving it to their own benefit.

But the next logical step is that it isn't the SEC or B1G per se that is driving the value. It's Bama, OSU, Michigan, etc - the big brands. For years it has been "why should we care about the Big12 or ACC?". But at some point, probably sooner than expected, someone is going to say "why should we care about Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Maryland, Mississippi St?"

Because the SEC doesn't drive the value. The brands do.

You know who will probably be the one to ask the question and start the self-destruct? Bevo.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Good bye most non revenue sports.
I would guess the entire point of this - the $300M price tag - is to basically get to the superleague.

You throw this out to sticker-shock almost everyone, and scare then out of the room and discussion entirely. And you can say "we didn't kick anyone out, they left on their own" for plausible deniability in the murder of CFB.

So who can afford the $300M? Well about the top 20 brands that the networks want. What a remarkable coincidence!

The rest can drop down a level to something more like what college sports is supposed to be. Very much like what @isucy86 said above. Frankly, if there are 50-60 teams in the "New" college football, and OSU, Michigan, Bama, Texas are missing... who cares. ISU really wasn't competing with them anyway. And there is still plenty of critical mass, and there will be enough media money to make it all work.

I think it reinforces what I have been saying for years about this, but maybe that's confirmation bias.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86