SEC/Big Ten Developing Plan to Share Revenue with Athletes

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would guess the entire point of this - the $300M price tag - is to basically get to the superleague.

You throw this out to sticker-shock almost everyone, and scare then out of the room and discussion entirely. And you can say "we didn't kick anyone out, they left on their own" for plausible deniability in the murder of CFB.

So who can afford the $300M? Well about the top 20 brands that the networks want. What a remarkable coincidence!

The rest can drop down a level to something more like what college sports is supposed to be. Very much like what @isucy86 said above. Frankly, if there are 50-60 teams in the "New" college football, and OSU, Michigan, Bama, Texas are missing... who cares. ISU really wasn't competing with them anyway. And there is still plenty of critical mass, and there will be enough media money to make it all work.

I think it reinforces what I have been saying for years about this, but maybe that's confirmation bias.

The networks can't afford for this to happen, interest in general would drop like a rock. Step 1 is for the power conferences to step away and essentially form their own league. If optimization is the idea then step 2 will be scrapping conference affiliation for football and creating regional groups.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The networks can't afford for this to happen, interest in general would drop like a rock. Step 1 is for the power conferences to step away and essentially form their own league. If optimization is the idea then step 2 will be scrapping conference affiliation for football and creating regional groups.
A lot of people think that, but I don't think the networks think it one bit. They would assume maybe 10-20% drop, but that it would rebuild over time as people drift away from the also rand and back to the prime timeslots on the prime networks. Bonus - it also reduces their costs - both overall contract but also less games => less crews, talking heads, travel, etc.

And push come to shove, I suspect they are closer to the truth than we want them to be. Back of envelope math, I would swag a 30% drop - over all games and networks.

BUT for the prime timeslots on the prime networks games - which now is all they care about - it will be less. Heck it might NOT drop at all, if you focus minds from other big brands. e.g. Michigan fans might watch Bama vs LSU instead of Iowa vs Minny. You're consolidating those big brand eyeballs on the Superleague, instead of having them drift to the 2nd tier games in their own conference.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
A lot of people think that, but I don't think the networks think it one bit. They would assume maybe 10-20% drop, but that it would rebuild over time as people drift away from the also rand and back to the prime timeslots on the prime networks. Bonus - it also reduces their costs - both overall contract but also less games => less crews, talking heads, travel, etc.

And push come to shove, I suspect they are closer to the truth than we want them to be. Back of envelope math, I would swag a 30% drop - over all games and networks.

BUT for the prime timeslots on the prime networks games - which now is all they care about - it will be less. Heck it might NOT drop at all, if you focus minds from other big brands. e.g. Michigan fans might watch Bama vs LSU instead of Iowa vs Minny. You're consolidating those big brand eyeballs on the Superleague, instead of having them drift to the 2nd tier games in their own conference.
This is 100% what I believe would happen. Networks don't care about you and I, they care about the casual fan. Because there are WAY more casual fans.

And you know who the casual fans care about? The big brands. The logos even the most casual of sports fans recognize while walking down the street.

This is becoming truer every day as gambling becomes more and more popular, too. There are a bunch of people who tune into games they only care about because they took the moneyline. No different than NFL fans who only care about a specific player, but they'll lend their eyeballs to a broadcast for it.

The networks would do just fine with only the top 20-30 of FBS.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
They would do fine.

They wouldn’t do as well as they do now. Alienating the people who care the most and are the most reliable viewers to chase casuals who aren’t going to tune in any more or less than they do now will not work.

I think they believe the displaced fans will just adopt interest in an included team. That’s their error.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
One thing I just can’t comprehend are the fans of SEC and Big 10 schools cheering on the separation. They are begging for it…….for what reason? They don’t get any of the money. If your team sucked it will continue to suck. If you were a good program you might be the new bottom feeder. Ticket prices will still rise. Donations will still be asked of you. NIL isn’t going away.

I just don’t get it. It’s similar to Iowa fans bragging about how much money they are making by adding the 4 Pac schools. Cool you get no money out of it and now you’ve just dropped down 3 spots in program hierarchy.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC
Sep 10, 2015
One thing I just can’t comprehend are the fans of SEC and Big 10 schools cheering on the separation. They are begging for it…….for what reason? They don’t get any of the money. If your team sucked it will continue to suck. If you were a good program you might be the new bottom feeder. Ticket prices will still rise. Donations will still be asked of you. NIL isn’t going away.

I just don’t get it. It’s similar to Iowa fans bragging about how much money they are making by adding the 4 Pac schools. Cool you get no money out of it and now you’ve just dropped down 3 spots in program hierarchy.
I agree these changes probably aren’t great for Iowa. I just read an article that said Ohio St pays their QB room more than Iowa spends on the entire roster. Obviously we didn’t do a great job of competing with Ohio St even before these changes but the advantages the blue bloods have always had seem to have grown significantly in a very short period of time.

It’s becoming like baseball where occasionally the small market teams can catch lightning in a bottle but the deck is pretty stacked in favor of the teams with money to spend.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We passed that point years and years ago.

And as far as damages/reparations go, you might think it's BS, but the NCAA is going to end up paying them. They're negotiating the settlement as we speak. Just a matter of time. They'll settle because they don't want to get beat in court. And they know they'll get beat in court.
The NCAA is going to pay out of football and championship money that it withholds from the schools. So technically the schools won't pay, but it's money schools had the expectation that they would receive that they won't.

So if that's the reality, then what's the fair way to pay the damages. IMO it shouldn't be equal per school. It should be based on some formula like each school's TV revenue (conference & championship). Maybe it should be based on professional athletes a school places in NBA, NFL, etc. ;)

Regardless, I don't feel student-athletes have been cheated financially over the years. Universities have provided an academic scholarship (which is worth millions in lifetime job earnings) and elite coaching, facilities, equipment, competition, etc. And those athletes had options, they could have pushed for NFL and NBA sponsored development paths like MLB. So what's next? Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc. non-executive employees are going to sue those companies for their fair share of revenues.

I'll come back to my final point, college athletics has become a professional league and IMO is outside the core mission of academic entities. If college athletics is going to become a semi-pro development path, then the Presidents need to bring some of that money back into the general fund to pay for academic programs.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

I’d love to get a straw poll of Big 10/SEC fans who are cheering this idea on. I’ve talked to more fans (Iowa, Penn State, A&M fans) who despise where this is all going rather than cheering it on.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

If there’s a selective breakaway and Iowa’s part of it, they’re going to be completely irrelevant.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
The NCAA is going to pay out of football and championship money that it withholds from the schools. So technically the schools won't pay, but it's money schools had the expectation that they would receive that they won't.

So if that's the reality, then what's the fair way to pay the damages. IMO it shouldn't be equal per school. It should be based on some formula like each school's TV revenue (conference & championship). Maybe it should be based on professional athletes a school places in NBA, NFL, etc. ;)

Regardless, I don't feel student-athletes have been cheated financially over the years. Universities have provided an academic scholarship (which is worth millions in lifetime job earnings) and elite coaching, facilities, equipment, competition, etc. And those athletes had options, they could have pushed for NFL and NBA sponsored development paths like MLB. So what's next? Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc. non-executive employees are going to sue those companies for their fair share of revenues.

I'll come back to my final point, college athletics has become a professional league and IMO is outside the core mission of academic entities. If college athletics is going to become a semi-pro development path, then the Presidents need to bring some of that money back into the general fund to pay for academic programs.
The biggest error the NCAA has made is letting the narrative run wild that the student-athletes have been victims all this time

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I’d love to get a straw poll of Big 10/SEC fans who are cheering this idea on. I’ve talked to more fans (Iowa, Penn State, A&M fans) who despise where this is all going rather than cheering it on.
I talk with a lot of USC fans and they are split 50/50 but at least they can argue with the right coaching and pieces in place they can compete for titles but all of them realize it would be easier under the old format and conferences.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
At what point do the ADs stop getting the tax benefits of a not for profit entity?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I talk with a lot of USC fans and they are split 50/50 but at least they can argue with the right coaching and pieces in place they can compete for titles but all of them realize it would be easier under the old format and conferences.
Yeah. I’d expect them to be more favorable about what is going on versus your standard B10/SEC fan, considering they were one of the catalysts for all this happening.

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The biggest error the NCAA has made is letting the narrative run wild that the student-athletes have been victims all this time
But it also goes beyond the NCAA's narrative. College Presidents have lost their way when it comes to college athletics. Seems like the tail is wagging the dog. And universities have so much money invested in facilities that they have to ride the TV money train to pay down their debt service and potentially hundreds of millions in damages.

Not sure they could have foreseen the courts seismic shift. But when money starting flowing in, Presidents should have demanded that the academic side of the universities get some of the TV gravy train.

I saw where Kirby Smart is about to make $13M. It might be the smart move financially for Georgia. But it seems misplaced in a collegiate environment.

Reactions: SCNCY

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

It doesn't matter if you feel that they've been cheated. The billions in damages that the NCAA is going to pay out, say otherwise.

And again, regarding the "core mission of academics" argument, you're several decades late in making it. We've been on this path for a long time.

The genie isn't going back in the bottle, no matter how much you might want it to.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Yeah. I’d expect them to be more favorable about what is going on versus your standard B10/SEC fan, considering they were one of the catalysts for all this happening.
And to be clear they are excited about playing OSU, Mich, Penn st out here. They are already rolling their eyes at having a 9am local start time playing at Minnesota and Indiana on BTN. That’s “beneath” them.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It doesn't matter if you feel that they've been cheated. The billions in damages that the NCAA is going to pay out, say otherwise.

And again, regarding the "core mission of academics" argument, you're several decades late in making it. We've been on this path for a long time.
I agree it's going to happen in some form.

But it's not too late for University Presidents to step in and bring some saneness to college sports go forward. And part of that approach could be some P5 schools say "we're out". It's lunacy that colleges are cutting programs, that if these changes happen Olympic Sports will be cut, but Kirby Smart will make $13M annually.

Some of what was in Ross Dellenger's article seems like absolute craziness. Increasing football scholarships beyond 85, potentially to 120 (the current roster max of scholarships & walkons). This about propping up 30 programs and making their big donors feel like they're junior Jerry Jones'.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I agree it's going to happen in some form.

But it's not too late for University Presidents to step in and bring some saneness to college sports go forward. And part of that approach could be some P5 schools say "we're out". It's lunacy that colleges are cutting programs, that if these changes happen Olympic Sports will be cut, but Kirby Smart will make $13M annually.

Some of what was in Ross Dellenger's article seems like absolute craziness. Increasing football scholarships beyond 85, potentially to 120 (the current roster max of scholarships & walkons). This about propping up 30 programs and making their big donors feel like they're junior Jerry Jones'.
It certainly sounds like a recipe for a subset of schools within the SEC/big to break off. No way most schools can pay 120 FB players.