Should Florida State skip the Orange Bowl?

Should Florida State skip the Orange Bowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I remember the days of seeing the AP and UPI rankings in the fine print of the CR Gazette sports section.

Ha, I grew up in NE Iowa during long streak of losing seasons for the Hawks but people were still into the team. Dating myself by knowing who Mike Cilek is. Hint: The backup QB is always the better QB! And, yeah, I was a kid thinking he should start more.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I do think if they sat out part of it would not wanting to give the Committee the satisfaction of being able to say "see we got it right" if they get smacked by Georgia.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The problem with them skipping it sets them up for future invites and not getting invited. Also this effects Georgia, who deserves to get to play a game, they didn't do anything wrong. This effects the Orange Bowl and all of those sponsors that have in good faith scheduled Florida State. Orange bowl did nothing wrong. So yeah it seems cool for them to skip it and give everyone the middle finger. However, it screws a bunch of people that had nothing to do with the Florida State decision and could really screw florida state in the future if they qualify for the Orange bowl and the Orange Bowl says no thank you since you screwed us before.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Irresistible quip, "No, you risk losing your #1 QB for the season, then what might happen?"

Seriously, though -- gotta play it. If you say no, then any claims of a playoff snub (justifiable as it may have been) looks like whining and looks like you're trying to avoid giving committee a "told you so."

Sure, you risk losing and "remove doubt," but if you give it a shot and prevail, that's a little fodder.
Disagree. If they beat Georgia the narrative would be the Georgia players opting out, Georgia not being motivated because they were not in the CFP, etc. This game is a lose-lose for FSU.

• Agree
Reactions: Spam

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Selfishly, and purely as a non-FSU fan, I don't want them to play just for the drama of it. And living in Georgia, the discourse about the whole thing would be far more entertaining than watching PO'ed UGA vs the corpse of 2023 FSU.

But, at this point, they should play.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Would they or the conference have a lawsuit on their hands if they refuse to play?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I don't get what boycotting the bowl would accomplish. It's not like they are protesting to change the playoff format.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I think the best scenario would be for FSU to get their guys motivated, beat Georgia, and then hope that Alabama or Texas win the playoff. Then you've got a lot of narrative to grandstand about how your the only unbeaten team left standing. Pull a UCF and announce yourself the national champs.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The only reason I would say play is because if they somehow beat Georgia they have such a better argument for why the committee are a bunch of cowards.

I voted no because they would get stomped if they played and will end up proving the committee right.
What do they gain though by having a good argument? TCU 2014 has a great argument for being in and winning it all, but now nobody cares and TCU got shafted and got to murder ole miss in a meaningless bowl.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's how I remember it, the SWC was going down anyway, and looking for someone to save them. The Big12 answered the help wanted add, which was probably a mistake.
The Big 8 kinda needed more TVs too. A conference based on the Great Plains that didn't include Texas was looking at some pretty sparse populations.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I voted Yes because the drama would be fun from an outsiders perspective, but hard to turn down the money, prestige, etc of playing in Orange Bowl.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I've been one of the most vocal defenders of FSU.

If they duck this game, I will stand down and say the committee was right for leaving these cowards out.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Part of me wants them to sit out for the drama. And to damage ESPN and to a much lesser degree the SEC financially

However sitting out the game would do more damage to FSU and the ACC financially, so it’s not really worth it. They should play, try to win, but refuse to participate in any ESPN stuff (pre, post, in-game interviews, promotion for the game, etc.)

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
As a competitor I would want to try and go best Georgia because if they do they should absolutely hang a national championship banner in Doak Campbell Stadium. As noted above especially if Bama or Texas wins it and they finish as the lone P5 undefeated team. Unlike UCF in 2017 I would actually recognize it personally.

Reactions: Cyclonsin