SI: SEC mulling new punishments for field storming

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Per Pat Forde, the SEC is discussing increased punishments on schools for field storming. Since fines don't seem to offer enough of a deterrent, a working group of SEC ADs is proposing that schools that allow field storming at their home stadium will have to sacrifice future home games. In theory it would mean games like Tennessee's win over Alabama in 2022 could have resulted in a 2023 or 2024 home game being moved to the opponents field.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This seems like the idea of someone that was on the wrong end of a court/field storming.

"We didn't like getting beaten and having them celebrate. Let's take away their fun and give ourselves another home game with more revenue while we're at it."

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
This is a really dumb idea. However, if they’re going to punish it just have them play behind closed doors like in soccer. There’s no need to make it more complicated than that. Especially since that would keep the cost of running the game on the offending school

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
So what's the common denominator between College and Pros. Why don't we storm at the pro level? Threat of arrest? I honestly don't know.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
This is a really dumb idea. However, if they’re going to punish it just have them play behind closed doors like in soccer. There’s no need to make it more complicated than that. Especially since that would keep the cost of running the game on the offending school

This is what I was thinking. Decrease capacity for a game, or have an empty student section.

Money isn't going to solve this as some donor will just pony up to pay for it.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Welcome to NFL Lite.

In the NFL, the talent is so equal across teams there really isn't anything comparable to a big college upset. And I'll argue to my dying day that NFL fans just aren't as personally invested as college fans. Sharing the same college experience with basically everyone in the stadium makes it more personal than growing up in the town where some really fast/strong/rich guys live for a few years.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
This is what I was thinking. Decrease capacity for a game, or have an empty student section.

Money isn't going to solve this as some donor will just pony up to pay for it.
It’s also more complicated logistically and gives some schools an advantage. No one is going the rush the field against Vandy

A lot of drunk and sober 18-25 year old kids.
I think it’s less that and more that it’s just a part of college sports culture vs. pro sports culture. Why can you yell during a free throw but not while a golfer is teeing off?

It’s also not lot pro fans are better behaved that college students/fans

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm surprised they didn't just escalate to "field rushers will be shot on sight". Can't think of a more heinous crime than people rushing the field after a big win.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Welcome to NFL Lite.

In the NFL, the talent is so equal across teams there really isn't anything comparable to a big college upset. And I'll argue to my dying day that NFL fans just aren't as personally invested as college fans. Sharing the same college experience with basically everyone in the stadium makes it more personal than growing up in the town where some really fast/strong/rich guys live for a few years.
I really disagree with "NFL fans aren't invested" idea. It's is not cheap to go to an NFL game and concessions are just as expensive. Plus if you go to any home game expect to see a large contingent of away fans because NFL fans travel well.
It's all relative but there are a lot of crazy NFL fans.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
All stadiums outfitted with broken glass walls with razor wire around perimeter of the field. That should at least slow them down.

• Optimistic
Reactions: tzjung

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, this is the good teams (read: Saban) trying to lord it over the underdogs. Like there isn't enough of a hill for them to climb already.

Upsets and emotion are a big part of what makes sports fun. Good grief.

How many real injuries or incidents have their been as a result of storming the field? What problem are we trying to solve? That said, there are ways to make it safer - like making sure the visitor exit route doesn't cross the student section...

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yeah, this is the good teams (read: Saban) trying to lord it over the underdogs. Like there isn't enough of a hill for them to climb already.

Upsets and emotion are a big part of what makes sports fun. Good grief.

How many real injuries or incidents have their been as a result of storming the field? What problem are we trying to solve? That said, there are ways to make it safer - like making sure the visitor exit route doesn't cross the student section...

Solving made up problems is the new cool thing to do

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Is field or court storming REALLY a big deal? I understand the safety concerns, but to penalize with loss of home games or large fines without any action items seems punitive.

Seems like storming can can be logistically managed with location of visitor sideline/bench location, security, barrier, etc.

Adding netting along MLB infields was controversial, but once done I haven't heard much.