SIAP: Breece Hall a star of the weekend in CFBS weekly recap

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
I just landed and read this. Hall is picked as a "star of the weekend". I checked the rankings and he was #20 on the preseason list. He has to be Top 5 when they update right???

Ticks me off, we could have won that game comfortably with a better passing attack...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just landed and read this. Hall is picked as a "star of the weekend". I checked the rankings and he was #20 on the preseason list. He has to be Top 5 when they update right???

Ticks me off, we could have won that game comfortably with a better passing attack...

I think we should also give a bit of credit to Oklahoma State as well.. Their defense looked pretty darn good. Not saying we couldn't have won or shouldn't have won, but they looked good. I'm hopeful it will make our offensive coaching staff go back to the drawing board and realize we aren't going to be able to consistently win by riding Breece and our TE's.

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
I think we should also give a bit of credit to Oklahoma State as well.. Their defense looked pretty darn good. Not saying we couldn't have won or shouldn't have won, but they looked good. I'm hopeful it will make our offensive coaching staff go back to the drawing board and realize we aren't going to be able to consistently win by riding Breece and our TE's.

100% there's something off with the scheme. Teams are able to scheme receivers wide open all over the country, but for some reason we fail in this area...

but Breece has been awesome and he has been able to be effective even tho we are inconsistent in the passing game...

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The game all came down to a lack of offensive adjustments based off of what the Oklahoma State defense was doing. As long as the offensive coordinator wants to force purdy to be a pocket passer rather than roll him out Defenses will follow the Oklahoma State model and stack the line to put pressure on him. The offense would be in much better shape if they allowed purdy to roll out. Would take pressure off of the young linemen. Outside of the two huge runs, they kept Hall shut down most of the day.

• Winner
Reactions: SDClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The game all came down to a lack of offensive adjustments based off of what the Oklahoma State defense was doing. As long as the offensive coordinator wants to force purdy to be a pocket passer rather than roll him out Defenses will follow the Oklahoma State model and stack the line to put pressure on him. The offense would be in much better shape if they allowed purdy to roll out. Would take pressure off of the young linemen. Outside of the two huge runs, they kept Hall shut down most of the day.
We certainly need to get Purdy out of the pocket more. I'm hopeful we see some of that on Saturday. And if you watch some of the plays Hall was getting smoked in the backfield or not gaining any yards, they were run blitzing. They also stuffed Breece two times in a row on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1. The fact of the matter is that our line got handled, but we still found success and if we make 1 of our 2 missed field goals it's an entirely different game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
100% there's something off with the scheme. Teams are able to scheme receivers wide open all over the country, but for some reason we fail in this area...

but Breece has been awesome and he has been able to be effective even tho we are inconsistent in the passing game...
I think you're seeing us struggle in that area for multiple reasons. I think it's less of a question of talent than other things.

1. We have the best TE group in the country and can run as well as pass in those formations. It's incredibly hard to guard that size and there's always SOME sort of mismatch on one of them so Purdy keys in on them.

2. We have one of the best RB's in the nation and our line has done a good job prior to this game of opening lanes for him to run through on first and second down. So when it's 2nd and medium or long, we can trust Breece to pick up enough where we're in 3rd and short territory (perfect for our TE matchups).

3. Our true #1 WR and best deep threat has been sidelined essentially all year long. Milton is a playmaker. He draws eyes from defenders because he can beat you in the slot in multiple ways. He easily can outrun fast outside linebackers and safeties and in a zone will pull the top safety away from another route. Right now we don't have a slot guy. Akers is not the guy.

4. Continuity. Brock trusts his TE's and has developed a good relationship with Xavier. You can see that. Guys like Scates, Shaw and Wilson are stepping into a role that they haven't played before. I don't think Brock's fully gotten comfortable with them on timing and sometimes reverts to keying on his "guys".

We're going to get a good shot to fix a lot of these issues. We KNOW Kansas probably can't stop Hall and are going to try and do everything to do so. So let's open up the air attack a little bit. Let's get guys involved that need to see balls thrown their way. We're going to need it because when we play a team like K-State, Texas, or Oklahoma State again, you better believe they're going to do everything in their power to stop our TE's and RB. Let's get creative and not solely rely on the TE look that we know is successful and find success in other areas.

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
I think you're seeing us struggle in that area for multiple reasons. I think it's less of a question of talent than other things.

1. We have the best TE group in the country and can run as well as pass in those formations. It's incredibly hard to guard that size and there's always SOME sort of mismatch on one of them so Purdy keys in on them.

2. We have one of the best RB's in the nation and our line has done a good job prior to this game of opening lanes for him to run through on first and second down. So when it's 2nd and medium or long, we can trust Breece to pick up enough where we're in 3rd and short territory (perfect for our TE matchups).

3. Our true #1 WR and best deep threat has been sidelined essentially all year long. Milton is a playmaker. He draws eyes from defenders because he can beat you in the slot in multiple ways. He easily can outrun fast outside linebackers and safeties and in a zone will pull the top safety away from another route. Right now we don't have a slot guy. Akers is not the guy.

4. Continuity. Brock trusts his TE's and has developed a good relationship with Xavier. You can see that. Guys like Scates, Shaw and Wilson are stepping into a role that they haven't played before. I don't think Brock's fully gotten comfortable with them on timing and sometimes reverts to keying on his "guys".

We're going to get a good shot to fix a lot of these issues. We KNOW Kansas probably can't stop Hall and are going to try and do everything to do so. So let's open up the air attack a little bit. Let's get guys involved that need to see balls thrown their way. We're going to need it because when we play a team like K-State, Texas, or Oklahoma State again, you better believe they're going to do everything in their power to stop our TE's and RB. Let's get creative and not solely rely on the TE look that we know is successful and find success in other areas.

I agree with most of what you said. My point is a good scheme and good wr coaching creates favorable matchups and puts players in the best possible position... our O - coordinator keeps doing whats not working...

Before our game I watched the Ohio State - Nebraska game... Ohio State ran route concepts that put safeties and line backers in conflict and got receivers wide open... I realize they are really good but the creativity works at all levels.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree with most of what you said. My point is a good scheme and good wr coaching creates favorable matchups and puts players in the best possible position... our O - coordinator keeps doing whats not working...

Before our game I watched the Ohio State - Nebraska game... Ohio State ran route concepts that put safeties and line backers in conflict and got receivers wide open... I realize they are really good but the creativity works at all levels.
It does help that Ohio State's top-2 wide receivers are 5 stars ;) but I get your point! I think Nate Scheelhaase is a very good WR coach for us and has done well so far. I think Tom Manning and Brock are a little too in love with the TE's right now and our WR's need to be more physical in getting open.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron