Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Yes, and a convection oven. They're outstanding.

I'm looking for something a little smoky as well, thus trying them on the PK.

If you want your standard type buffalo wing, with a kiss of Old Bay, you have to try that recipe.
Our oven has convection, but I never use it. I need to learn more.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Giving a 3 lb pork belly a cure in a Maple syrup/Brown Sugar bath. From what I've read I keep seeing a 3-5 day curing process. This just seems too short of time. Anyone else think that?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Giving a 3 lb pork belly a cure in a Maple syrup/Brown Sugar bath. From what I've read I keep seeing a 3-5 day curing process. This just seems too short of time. Anyone else think that?
Pink salt as well? Here are the notes I had from the last time I did it:

Dry cure
5.5lb belly
#1 cure salt-run calculator
5 tablespoons salt
5 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons course black pepper
3 tablespoons maple syrup
Some red pepper flakes

Put in ziploc

Rotate daily for 7 days
Take out and rinse. Let it sit in fridge for 4 hours to form pectin

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Pink salt as well? Here are the notes I had from the last time I did it:

Dry cure
5.5lb belly
#1 cure salt-run calculator
5 tablespoons salt
5 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons course black pepper
3 tablespoons maple syrup
Some red pepper flakes

Put in ziploc

Rotate daily for 7 days
Take out and rinse. Let it sit in fridge for 4 hours to form pectin
I was following the amazingribs.com recipe. I did use a 1/2 teaspoon of Prague Powder, 2/3 cup warm water. 2/3 cup maple syrup. 5.75 teaspoons of kosher salt and black pepper and 3.75 table spoons of dark brown sugar.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

If you want your standard type buffalo wing, with a kiss of Old Bay, you have to try that recipe.
Can you tell me the settings you used for convection? I'm trying this old bay method.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Usually you want to be about 25 degrees lower than what’s printed. So if it’s 425 with a normal oven, use 400. You can also just bake them as described in the recipe.

Reactions: dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Didn't love the wings, they were too soft and I didn't get enough of that franks red hot flavor. 1000004219.jpg

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
How'd you make them?

Then 425 for 20 minutes, flipped them, and then 19 minutes.

The seasoning at the start was cut in 1/2 because I only had 1lb. The rest of the recipe was followed. It was OK but not something I would do again.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Then 425 for 20 minutes, flipped them, and then 19 minutes.
I'm an Old Bay fan for sure. So you put them back into the oven after saucing?

I think anytime you sauce the wing it's going to be near impossible for a crispy skin unless you've deep fried them. I could be wrong. But I've kind of given up on crispy skin when I smoke wings, I sauce them and put them back on the smoker for 20-30 minutes hoping to bake the sauce in a bit and getting it more like a nice and sticky glaze.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I think anytime you sauce the wing it's going to be near impossible for a crispy skin unless you've deep fried them. I could be wrong. But I've kind of given up on crispy skin when I smoke wings, I sauce them and put them back on the smoker for 20-30 minutes hoping to bake the sauce in a bit and getting it more like a nice and sticky glaze.
No, I followed the recipe. I will be going back to the smoker in the future, I liked those a lot more. For Buffalo, I'll probably just go to BWW, since I like those.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Generally, this is true, though I sauced some bbq wings and put them back in the oven and they were still crispy. I also want to try some lighter sauces, maybe more vinegar based instead of going more syrupy.

Reactions: Gonzo

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I will pour hot water of chicken pieces especially chicken thighs before grilling/smoking. You’ll be amazed how much crisper they will be.

Reactions: bosco

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Love that it brings together charcoal with digital/programmable heat regulation and WiFi/app monitoring. But, I'm not certain that it would allow for smoking using wood in the hopper (I've seen a video of a guy who does, but still not sure). Also, when I grill I like having half the grill as indirect heat to cook through after searing, not sure this would allow for that. Any info/experience/thoughts with this appreciated.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield

We bought a new range with a built in air fry. I have an old cookie sheet I place under the Airfry rack so it doesnt make a mess in the oven.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Love that it brings together charcoal with digital/programmable heat regulation and WiFi/app monitoring. But, I'm not certain that it would allow for smoking using wood in the hopper (I've seen a video of a guy who does, but still not sure). Also, when I grill I like having half the grill as indirect heat to cook through after searing, not sure this would allow for that. Any info/experience/thoughts with this appreciated.
Look at the March 31st posts in this thread. I asked about one pictured there. I havent pulled the trigger yet.

Reactions: Gonzo