Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Honestly my favorite is to cut it into really thick chops. Slather with a little BBQ sauce and rub. Cook at 200-225. At ~135 IT, slather with more BBQ sauce and increase heat slightly, 250-275. Try to take off at 145 IT.

View attachment 129188

Doing a loin whole, I'd consider the same input as already given, but you can't go wrong picking a nice marinade and injecting also. Just make sure you take it off at 145 IT.

Doing a whole pork tenderloin this way is pretty fantastic.
Looks like a great way to do pork loin. Ever wrap in bacon or anything to infuse a little bit of fat?

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Do you use wood chunks or splits in the hopper instead of charcoal when smoking?
I typically use wood chunks intermingled with the charcoal. You can also put chips in the ash catcher to create more smoke.

ETA - I have not personally used splits, but I have seen videos of it being done, so I know it is possible.

Reactions: Gonzo

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I'm sure other smokers do this, but yesterday I smoked some salmon on my Masterbuilt. After brining and then air drying I smoked it at 150 for a couple hours. Then brushed with a hot honey mixture and bumped it up to 175 for the last hour. The rig held the low temperatures perfect and I didn't even have to touch it. Salmon was the best i've ever had.

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
I agree, I just didn't think it was worth hundreds of dollars more in the scenario given.

Also, I still have a traeger and use it all the time. I'm sure you could buy one and find it good. But given my experience for their price points, I can't recommend them at all based on the experience I've had since I've had to literally replace everything but the metal pit itself, and their customer service was useless.
I've got two Traeger's and one of them is 20 plus years old. Yes, I've had to replace the fan once and the hot rod twice on the older model and both were easy fixes. I chalk it up to normal wear and tear on an older machine. Any time I've called customer service, they've been awesome to work with. I moved from an offset to the Traeger because of ease of use. I had two busy boys with activities at the time and it was nice to put meat on and go to the games without having to watch it.

Reactions: BACyclone

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Looks like a great way to do pork loin. Ever wrap in bacon or anything to infuse a little bit of fat?

I might have once long ago, but I can't remember the last time I have done that.

Truthfully the combination of short smoke time and outstanding flavor, this is probably my favorite thing to smoke besides baby back ribs. Maybe the simplicity makes it #1. I make double what I need because my family will DEVOUR these and I want some leftovers for work lunch later.

I have an open Sunday this weekend so this might be my Sunday evening meal.

One of my sons adores chicken drumsticks, so I usually do wrap those in bacon before I smoke them. Otherwise I typically roll without it.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I just thought of this idea for a pork loin -- linked a couple recipes. I haven't tried these but if you want to try something fancy, I'd definitely try my hand at a stuffed loin.

Stuff it (you don't have to follow the recipe to what he uses for stuffing, I'd probably try some cheese and bacon/ham or something), but the directions lay out well how to do the prep work:
Stuffed loin

This recipe has some ideas for different make-your-own seasoning:
Traditional seasoning and smoking

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
If you cut an x with a filet knife or something narrow you can shove a polish sausage in each end of your loin. It's easier than butterflying and tying it up, and they look nice sliced.

hiltonisheaven

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Are you happy with your RecTeq as a smoker? I've heard a lot of good things for the $$.
Yes I have the Patio Legend 410 and it’s great but it’s less than 6 months old. My Dad has had a 340 and a 590 for years and had great results. He had a wifi issue and said the customer service was top notch.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm sure other smokers do this, but yesterday I smoked some salmon on my Masterbuilt. After brining and then air drying I smoked it at 150 for a couple hours. Then brushed with a hot honey mixture and bumped it up to 175 for the last hour. The rig held the low temperatures perfect and I didn't even have to touch it. Salmon was the best i've ever had.
Did you have them on cedar planks or directly on the grates?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Wait. A what? Is this a Weber product or third party? A specific brand you recommend? I honestly had no idea this existed.
I'm not sure if Weber makes a temperature controller. BBQ Guru seems to be a real high quality unit. They have adapters for just about any grill or smoker

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Are you happy with your RecTeq as a smoker? I've heard a lot of good things for the $$.
I bought a 590 a year and a half ago before they re-styled them. My experience has been mostly positive.

The shipping is via LTL and tons of grills show up damaged because of it. I shipped two back because of damage, and the third showed up damaged as well. It was relatively minor so I pounded it out with a mallet and they sent me a free front shelf for the trouble. There's NO way they made any money off my purchase by the time they paid to ship 5 times (3 to me plus the two returns).

They were bought out by an investment company in 2021, and based on some groups I follow it seems their QC has gone downhill considerably. That being said, their customer service is still phenomenal. I actually had a private phone call with their Co-Founder at 7pm on a Saturday evening after he saw a post I made on Facebook blasting them for receiving 3 damaged grills. Was a pretty cool touch that you don't get with many companies.

Overall I still think they're the best option for the price range, the gap between them and second place just isn't as large as it once was.

hiltonisheaven

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I bought a 590 a year and a half ago before they re-styled them. My experience has been mostly positive.

The shipping is via LTL and tons of grills show up damaged because of it. I shipped two back because of damage, and the third showed up damaged as well. It was relatively minor so I pounded it out with a mallet and they sent me a free front shelf for the trouble. There's NO way they made any money off my purchase by the time they paid to ship 5 times (3 to me plus the two returns).

They were bought out by an investment company in 2021, and based on some groups I follow it seems their QC has gone downhill considerably. That being said, their customer service is still phenomenal. I actually had a private phone call with their Co-Founder at 7pm on a Saturday evening after he saw a post I made on Facebook blasting them for receiving 3 damaged grills. Was a pretty cool touch that you don't get with many companies.

Overall I still think they're the best option for the price range, the gap between them and second place just isn't as large as it once was.
Biggest Recteq negative is the Recteq App disabled the ability to remotely turn on the smoker. If I knew that feature would be disabled, I would have chosen a different brand. Feels like I was cheated on that point.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Biggest Recteq negative is the Recteq App disabled the ability to remotely turn on the smoker. If I knew that feature would be disabled, I would have chosen a different brand. Feels like I was cheated on that point.
There was a ton of outrage about that on Reddit and Facebook and I was honestly kinda surprised. I hadn't ever used it, but I keep my grill covered and unplugged so it's not a big deal to just push the button when I'm out there.

The dishonest temp tracking and inconsistent notifications are way bigger app issues to me.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Once mine get rusty I just order a new set. Lazy, old guy solution.
I was given a free grill from a neighbor after they didn’t sell it at a garage sale. Maybe 2 years old. Was trying to avoid spending any money on it. Went the vinegar and baking soda route for about 6 hours. Grilled on it tonight. Worked like a charm. However, the new grates get here tomorrow

Reactions: cycloner29

Help Support Us

Become a patron