So......apparently Fred still hasn't run Scotty off the team

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Just because its everyones answer to every other answer here... "its because of depth". :nah:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I spent the first half of the season last year wondering why SC wasn't a starter.

I think it was b/c Mac was afraid of ******* off Lucca. Lucca got exactly what he wanted and he still left.

To be fair, Scott and Lucca were a pretty good combination. Two guys that can shoot that well make it hard to defend. Although Scott was and is the better all around player.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Lucca was a figment of CF imagination, much like money. ALL HYPE and people wishing for something that is not and never was.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I said it last year and it's obvious now. Scotty is 10x the player Lucca ever was or will be. The only area where Lucca was anywhere close to Scott is shooting the 3 ball. And even then, he's a pure set shooter. He's worthless if he has to do ANYTHING other than stand there and heave up a wide open 3. Scott can play defense, he can cut to the hoop and finish/draw fouls, and he's got a great move to create shots from the perimeter.

If there was any reason for Scott not starting last year beyond his health, it's just further evidence of how bad McDermott was here.

Reactions: CycloneErik

psi

Dec 28, 2009
I think it was b/c Mac was afraid of ******* off Lucca. Lucca got exactly what he wanted and he still left.

To be fair, Scott and Lucca were a pretty good combination. Two guys that can shoot that well make it hard to defend. Although Scott was and is the better all around player.

Scottie's a great defender, among his other skills. Lucca was one dimensional. Actually, half dimensional.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
Hmmm, mr psi I think you are going a little far by calling Scotty a "great" defender. He is a "good" defender and a "very good" player. He is not a great player .... yet. Great players are sure fire NBA prospects. If Scotty can keep this up I wonder about his NBA prospects though. I think his game is similar to Kirk Hinrich and he did very well at the next level.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Lucca was a figment of CF imagination, much like money. ALL HYPE and people wishing for something that is not and never was.

This all the way. The fans built him up during the year he had to sit so bad that we were expecting the German version of Larry Bird. Instead we got a guy who got hot about once every four games and was a total defensive liability.

Scotty C. is a much better consistent player

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
He must be going to wait until the season is over.

It amazed me and still amazes me the flack SC has gotten. Thge kid was solid last year playing with mono. He can flat out shoot the hell out of the ball. He can get penetration, not always, but he can get it. He is a pretty damn good defender. Not sure what else you want from the kid.

I do wonder if he will stay healthy. I noticed later in the game last night, they had him on his back and were working both knees pretty hard, stretching him out

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
Hmmm, mr psi I think you are going a little far by calling Scotty a "great" defender. He is a "good" defender and a "very good" player. He is not a great player .... yet. Great players are sure fire NBA prospects. If Scotty can keep this up I wonder about his NBA prospects though. I think his game is similar to Kirk Hinrich and he did very well at the next level.

Second half last night, I'd call him a great player. Not only did he put up 24, but he shut down Gatens at the defensive end. It was a thing of beauty.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
It amazed me and still amazes me the flack SC has gotten. Thge kid was solid last year playing with mono. He can flat out shoot the hell out of the ball. He can get penetration, not always, but he can get it. He is a pretty damn good defender. Not sure what else you want from the kid.

I do wonder if he will stay healthy. I noticed later in the game last night, they had him on his back and were working both knees pretty hard, stretching him out

Maybe just cramps? I would hope so.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Me too, he was awfully good last year and one of our better defenders while playing when he probably shouldn't have been. Anyone that knows anything about basketball is that your shot is the first thing to go when you are sick or tired. The fact that he was able to score at all last year is amazing.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Money > Lucca. Money might not be close to the hype that was built around him, but he's a solid player and not someone I consider a liability. He plays really hard, too. Hell of a blocker. Not a lazy, whiny pile of **** like Lucca.

Reactions: SenorCy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Money > Lucca. Money might not be close to the hype that was built around him, but he's a solid player and not someone I consider a liability. He plays really hard, too. Hell of a blocker. Not a lazy, whiny pile of **** like Lucca.

Unless he's playing Drake. Drake was Lucca's NBA Finals, his All-Star Game, and he was confused enough, his Super Bowl. He always got up for Drake.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Scott can put it on the deck just well enough to keep his defender's honest - which is critical, and something Lucca couldn't do... or, something McDermott didn't want him to do.

I'll ask this again, Where are the people who think Scott doesn't start next year??? Blows my mind, those people they do.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Scott will get his shot playing professional basketball. I don't know about NBA but great shooters are hard to come by. This kid is un-guardable when he is on. His career averages tell us these types of games aren't flukes they are the norm for him to shoot this well. I think his defense is above average in the big 12, this has yet to be seen but we'll know ina bout a month. He reminds me of the good Korver's.