So how good is the Big 12 in Basketball this year?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
How good is the Big 12, really? We are nearing March Madness and getting close to the end.

I was just looking at the Top 25, and wondering why certain teams are ranked where they are. Many of you know quite a bit about rankings, ratings.

But why, for example, when looking at current 19-8 overall record teams such as Texas Tech, BYU, TCU, Oklahoma of the Big 12, and Alabama and Kentucky of the SEC, are the SEC teams ranked higher? They have better conference records, may be part of it? They have better ranked players (perceived)?

How will the teams of the Big 12, the meatgrinder that it is, fare in the NCAA seedings and brackets? How many teams will we get in? How many make the final 16, 8, 4?

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Really good and will be battle tested. I think 9 teams get in. Crazy **** happens in the Tourney, but I imagine we have someone go to the Final Four.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and 0u812

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think Houston can win it all, but it would help if they don’t run into UConn. We can make a nice run. KU without a healthy mccullar is an early out. Baylor and tcu don’t play good enough defense to go very far. TT can win a game or two. So can OU. BYU it depends on the draw. If they are hitting, they can beat just about anyone. If a team can switch and keep a hand in their face they can lose to anyone.

Reactions: Jer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would guess it's their strength of schedules or something over their conference records.
Collectively the Big 12 has the best but I'm not sure who can really make a deep run outside of Houston (does their injured player create a problem for them?). I do think ISU the metrics that favor a run--top 50 in defense and offense--so there's that.

Each conference seems to have someone that is good enough to do it but the last few years we've seen some teams that looked very good entering the tourney only to not be able to get right 4-5 days later.

The first weekend is cruelty on display and ISU is not immune to it and I hope folks can remember that if ISU falls victim in the same way from a group that has given so much.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
How good is the Big 12, really? We are nearing March Madness and getting close to the end.

I was just looking at the Top 25, and wondering why certain teams are ranked where they are. Many of you know quite a bit about rankings, ratings.

But why, for example, when looking at current 19-8 overall record teams such as Texas Tech, BYU, TCU, Oklahoma of the Big 12, and Alabama and Kentucky of the SEC, are the SEC teams ranked higher? They have better conference records, may be part of it? They have better ranked players (perceived)?

How will the teams of the Big 12, the meatgrinder that it is, fare in the NCAA seedings and brackets? How many teams will we get in? How many make the final 16, 8, 4?
The good news is that the B12 will get some pretty good seeds. Beyond that, the non-con makes it difficult to know for certain, at this point. They certainly pass the eye test and have some recent past results to hang theor hat on.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Big 12 had a good tourney last year but did not get a team in the Final 4. Need to get a team or two in this year to maintain our standing as clearly the toughest conference. A national champion would be nice.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They are going to sit McClure and use that as an excuse for the committee when they lose a few more.

And it's 100% going to work, too.

I just don't know how the committee can look at Kansas and wash out a couple games because they are missing a starter. If anything, KU should get penalized for their lack of depth.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Big 12 had a good tourney last year but did not get a team in the Final 4. Need to get a team or two in this year to maintain our standing as clearly the toughest conference. A national champion would be nice.

Well, then, we might as well go ahead and win that ourselves. No reason to count on someone else to do it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
They are going to sit McClure and use that as an excuse for the committee when they lose a few more.

And it's 100% going to work, too.
No problem with it. I hate them but when the goal is winning the Natty, you do everything possible. He DOES need rest.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think Houston can win it all, but it would help if they don’t run into UConn. We can make a nice run. KU without a healthy mccullar is an early out. Baylor and tcu don’t play good enough defense to go very far. TT can win a game or two. So can OU. BYU it depends on the draw. If they are hitting, they can beat just about anyone. If a team can switch and keep a hand in their face they can lose to anyone.

Baylor struggles with defense in conference. But that’s because these coaches have played against them so many times. In a tournament setting, that junk defense can give teams fits. Not saying they are guaranteed the second weekend, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
Baylor struggles with defense in conference. But that’s because these coaches have played against them so many times. In a tournament setting, that junk defense can give teams fits. Not saying they are guaranteed the second weekend, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit.
Whether TJ thought the 2-3 zone was a necessity or not to get ISU back in the game, it was great to get it on tape and extended practice using it in game situations.

Reactions: t-noah

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I really like Baylor’s chances in the tourney. If they don’t get upset in rd 1 I think they will get to the S16.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Getting out of the league is going to be great for Texas Tech. That offense is pretty complex and preparing for it from scratch in two days is going to be a nightmare for somebody.

They'd be the Big 12 sleeper for me.

Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Baylor are all capable of playing 4+ games.