So what’s up with UNI?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The Wichita State, Creighton and peak UNI days are hard to imagine now.

Some of this is just the broader transfer and NIL impact on non-P6 teams.

On a semi-related note Wichita State never should have left the MVC, based on how mediocre they've been in the AAC.

Reactions: Drew0311

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
On a semi-related note Wichita State never should have left the MVC, based on how mediocre they've been in the AAC.
I really have wondered why WS didn't go after Turgeon after Maryland canned him.
Maybe he just wanted to retire.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Over the years, I've known a lot of people who work at UNI and they are all good people. I also know UNI is a great fit for many Iowa high school graduates who don't want a small private college experience, but also would not thrive in ISU's or Iowa's big school environment.

While all three Regent universities are facing major budget problems, UNI's situation is the most challenging. I really hope they can survive these challenging times.
That's part of the issue as well.

Until the current president, UNI was really bad at differentiating themselves from Iowa and Iowa State and the messaging to both the BOR and the public was inconsistent at best. UNIs mission is so radically different and the current administration is finally embracing that and that's why enrollment is growing again for the first time since the mid-00s.

Reactions: NENick

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Over the years, I've known a lot of people who work at UNI and they are all good people. I also know UNI is a great fit for many Iowa high school graduates who don't want a small private college experience, but also would not thrive in ISU's or Iowa's big school environment.

While all three Regent universities are facing major budget problems, UNI's situation is the most challenging. I really hope they can survive these challenging times.
Same problem that goes back to our ******* legislature that voted down having funding follow in-state students.

That would solve UNIs budget problems. But since it hurts University of Iowa, our legislature prefers to subsidize suburban Chicago kids going to U of I.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I haven’t heard the name Wichita State in years. They haven’t been relevant since their Final Four run in 2013 or perhaps when VanVleet and Baker were there in 2016.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Harris is the scapegoat. Always has been. The new AD will struggle as well, and David Harris will once again take the fall all the while he’s raising money and running a fabulous athletic department at Tulane. If anyone blames UNI’s downfall on Harris, they’re no insider. Last I heard, Farley has been bouncing checks to his assistant FN coaches and not being truly transparent on benefit packages. Bottom line, the school is soon to have the student population of an Iowa Conference school and very few donors- they simply can’t afford competitive athletics.
Troy Dannen left the department in very good shape, long term coaches paid and in place and several projects in the works with donations lined up. All of the momentum stopped when David got the job and his '5 Year Plan' accomplished literally none of it's goals in 7 years. He was also reprimanded by the BOR for not keeping proper financial records and accounting inconsistencies.

Obviously not everything was David's fault (University enrollment, COVID) but he also wasn't a strong enough personality or administrator to keep the train on the tracks. Somewhere like Tulane where he can rely on a small group of donors to write big checks is naturally going to be a better fit and his family life will be much easier closer to back home, it wasn't a secret that his wife was ready to head back south.

It's not a coincidence that he left and the checkbooks opened back up.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sounds like UNI will be announcing a new AD soon. As a dual fan, I hope it is someone good. And I hope Bowlsby stays close to the program.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Sounds like UNI will be announcing a new AD soon. As a dual fan, I hope it is someone good. And I hope Bowlsby stays close to the program.
Got a good group of finalists:

Amanda Braun-AD at Milwaukee
Josh Moon-AD at Green Bay
Slade Larscheid-Senior Deputy at South Dakota State

All of them are big time fundraisers and accomplished administrators. Last word was that it's Moon or Larscheid.

Bob has agreed to stay on as an advisor to the president and will continue on the Our Tomorrow steering committee that's already raised $287M for the university and will continue through 2026 with a goal of $350M.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

That conference move hasn't aged well for either party.

Then again, the American is just collapsing as a basketball conference.

It's one of the first places the P6 teams go to restock a roster (up with the MVC).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron