• I do believe he is the right man for the job

Votes: 26 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I hate hitting the top button, but I don't feel like I had any other choice after tonight.

If we somehow go out and beat TCU on the road Saturday I'll feel better again, but tonight is as bad as I've felt about ISU basketball since the McDermott years.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Unfortunately we won’t hit rock bottom until next year which will then force JP’s hand.

You’re looking at 2022-23 before we can expect another tourney run.
If we’re lucky enough that JP hires a decent coach. I give it about a 40% chance.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I hate hitting the top button, but I don't feel like I had any other choice after tonight.

If we somehow go out and beat TCU on the road Saturday I'll feel better again, but tonight is as bad as I've felt about ISU basketball since the McDermott years.

Any coach that is capable of losing to Florida A&M at home can never be trusted. Even if they "win on the road at TCU"

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
He has benefited from some of the greatest talent Iowa State has seen due to Fred's recruiting. The team has won in spite of him, not due to him. He's in way over his head and needs to go.

Fred didnt recruit. But i agree with you that Prohm is clearly not a D1 coach. He had success in a.bad league with the best team.

Unfortunately hes at least here throuth this year and probably next. Theyre not going to makw the tournament unless something absolutely crazy takes place. At this point, i hope he doesnt if only to force a change.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
At no point in any of this was Prohm "another attractive gal"

Id disagree, he was the attractive reboud gal that filled a void for a short time. But then you realized you really couldn't hold a conversation with.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Any coach that is capable of losing to Florida A&M at home can never be trusted. Even if they "win on the road at TCU"

Yeah, but we've also seen that he is capable of beating Texas Tech on the road last season as well.

That's what gets me the most; the absolute inconsistency that we see from season to season. Even in the 2017-18 season we went from losing to Milwaukee by 18 points at home to absolutely dominating ranked teams in Texas Tech and West Virginia in Hilton.

It's well known that I am (or was) a Prohm supporter, especially against the people on here who made up their minds to hate him from Day One because he's not Fred. But last night was devastating for him, and maybe even for the program.

We might be at the point of diminishing returns with Prohm right now, and (Captain Obvious) that's not a place where you want to be. Even with our personnel losses from last season, you absolutely cannot lose to a 1-win low-major MEAC team at home in your fifth year of being in charge of the program.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, but we've also seen that he is capable of beating Texas Tech on the road last season as well.

That's what gets me the most; the absolute inconsistency that we see from season to season. Even in the 2017-18 season we went from losing to Milwaukee by 18 points at home to absolutely dominating ranked teams in Texas Tech and West Virginia in Hilton.

It's well known that I am (or was) a Prohm supporter, especially against the people on here who made up their minds to hate him from Day One because he's not Fred. But last night was devastating for him, and maybe even for the program.

We might be at the point of diminishing returns with Prohm right now, and (Captain Obvious) that's not a place where you want to be. Even with our personnel losses from last season, you absolutely cannot lose to a 1-win low-major MEAC team at home in your fifth year of being in charge of the program.

I think this says it about as well as it can be said. I don't see how Prohm can recover from this December. He may hold on to his job for awhile longer, but he's lost the fan base and there's nothing in his history at ISU to suggest he's capable of the kind of run of sustained, high-level play it would take to win them back.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
For the 18 who are currently still supportive of Prohm can you make your case. I don’t think people realize just how bad this loss was.

Florida A&M isn’t just bad they are just atrocious. This was a worse and more shocking loss than Virginia losing to UMBC. They hadn’t ever beat a P-5 team let alone beating Iowa State in Hilton.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I've defended Prohm quite a bit in the past, but last night was absolutely infuriating. Hali or no Hali, you don't lose games like that. You just don't.

As @ISUChippewa put it, the inconsistency is maddening at times. Where was the team that beat Seton Hall and hung with Michigan the whole game?

I want nothing more than for Prohm to right the ship, but I'm really worried that he might be in over his head after that. Losses like last night are the types of games that will make this thing get away from him.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Pretty much left this board last year after all the grief I received for being critical of Prohm and saying repeatedly he was not a P5 coach and was out of his league.

The guy is an above average recruiter (he’s had some pretty big misses). He runs a clean program. That’s it. That’s the full list of things he is capable of doing adequately as a head coach at a P5 program.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I don't bag on coaches or players after a loss.

But that was the kind of loss, when combined with a season of poor shooting and defensive efforts, that comes with broader repercussions to a program in Year 5. A lot of program defining things are put at risk that go beyond the coaches or the guys in the floor.

This team isn't good, but it is definitely playing worse than they should. It seems they desperately need an Ejim, who leads with accountability and backs it up with his play.