ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Like many of you, I have a love-hate relationship with the Baylor Lady Bears’ head women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey. Her sideline and press conference antics have the same effect on me as those of Bill Self and Fran McCaffery (as in they make me want to throw things) but at the same time, I respect the hell out of her. Not only does she know exactly who she is, but she is unapologetic about it and has been wildly successful because of it.

So Saturday night, after Iowa State beat No. 6 Baylor in a 75-71 thriller, I fully expected Mulkey to say something in the postgame press conference that would, well, make me want to throw something. But like all the other times, thanks to that whole respect thing, I fully expected I’d shake my head and get over it.

Turns out I was wrong—at least about the getting over it part.

The first thing I read when I woke up on Sunday morning was an article written by ESPN’s Mechelle Voepel...

Continue reading...

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Not entirely wrong? She's not wrong in the smallest, tiniest iota. None of this is going on for any reason other than money.
Money is the engine but there are other aspects to continue to play sports, even if it is a money losing enterprise or else we would not have the non-revenue sports in normal times.

* Players want to compete and play and are willing to risk much more than the average Joe for the opportunity to do so.
* Games provide an outlet for people to believe there is normalcy in the middle of chaos.
* Competitions provide a focal point for association pride (fancy way of saying I am a fan of Iowa State)

As I stated in a different thread, it is incredible that 39 high school basketball teams from Illinois are forming their own, non-official, non-sanctioned league and will compete in Iowa side of Quad Cities because Illinois doesn't allow high school sports yet. There is absolutely no money incentive (it will actually cost them) to play but the players miss the game enough to risk health, time and money for the opportunity.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Not entirely wrong? She's not wrong in the smallest, tiniest iota. None of this is going on for any reason other than money.
I'd caution any writer against trying to say that we're learning more about how to manage this when we're piling up thousands of dead bodies every day. She really blew it with that part.
Someone that makes over a million dollars preaching to others about the almighty dollar is funny. If she was that concerned she should quit.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'd caution any writer against trying to say that we're learning more about how to manage this when we're piling up thousands of dead bodies every day. She really blew it with that part.

Whether we should be playing or not, I guess I'm not too inclined to be lectured on it by someone whose being paid the way she is paid. That "Almighty Dollar" is what allows you to be paid 2+ million dollars a year.

It absolutely is about money, but being blind to the realization that the reason they need to play is to generate enough revenue to pay your enormous salary is the problem.

I'd venture to guess the need to play wouldn't be quite so high if she'd forfeit her salary, or even reduce it. But I can't see her doing that...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If she took a pay cut to 1.5MM, they could pay the players schollys with that and not have to play the games. Doubting the women’s team makes money. Simple solution right there.

Reactions: Cycsk

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
She is entirely correct. These games would not be happening if there wasn't the amount of money involved.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Teams with tight discipline have also shown to be quite resistant to COVID inroads...obviously, teams that have players that don't go to parties, forego home visits, remote their classes, etc. have done well. Kim let her players go home over the holidays, including herself...and while that is great, it also was a conscious choice to potentially allow COVID into the mix. To me it is simply Kim *itching that she can't have her cake and eat it.

Reactions: jay moe

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Teams with tight discipline have also shown to be quite resistant to COVID inroads...obviously, teams that have players that don't go to parties, forego home visits, remote their classes, etc. have done well. Kim let her players go home over the holidays, including herself...and while that is great, it also was a conscious choice to potentially allow COVID into the mix. To me it is simply Kim *itching that she can't have her cake and eat it.
If it’s 100% about the money, the. Why are they playing the women’s games? Only 1-2 programs in the nation make money from WBB. Why was there soccer? Why is there swimming? Are the dollars too big in those sports also? For her to say they have to play because the men’s tourney has to go on, makes little sense.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

Feels like you're just pushing your cave talking points here. The teams who are prioritizing their season have kept Covid at bay. Those who haven't.. haven't. That doesn't mean we aren't continuously learning.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Feels like you're just pushing your cave talking points here. The teams who are prioritizing their season have kept Covid at bay. Those who haven't.. haven't. That doesn't mean we aren't continuously learning.
This isnt true at all, there are a handful of good mens teams that have had Covid issues this year.