Stevie Hicks Found Dead...

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
That was against Miami of Ohio. Stevie always looked really, really good against inferior competition. Much like McCarney's coaching style was best situated for rumbling against clearly inferior competition. The problem was when we were against equal or often better competition.
He did look awesome when we beat KSU at Manhatten. That KSU team had mailed it in, and Stevie abused them. some serious hits for highlights.

You stay "shiny" and "happy" man... :eek:

Reactions: cycloneML

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That was against Miami of Ohio. Stevie always looked really, really good against inferior competition. Much like McCarney's coaching style was best situated for rumbling against clearly inferior competition. The problem was when we were against equal or often better competition.
He did look awesome when we beat KSU at Manhatten. That KSU team had mailed it in, and Stevie abused them. some serious hits for highlights.

I thought Stevie always ran hard, and he looked good when he was healthy. Hell, he had some great games when he was banged up, which was why he was one of my favorite players on the '04 and '05 teams. It speaks volumes when a guy plays hurt, and Stevie always wanted to be in there. Your post was stupid, and really underhanded in light of the loss of a Cyclone. As so many in this thread have stated, Stevie was a great Cyclone and by all accounts a good man.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Much like McCarney's coaching style was best situated for rumbling against clearly inferior competition. The problem was when we were against equal or often better competition.

So McCarney's coaching style meant we beat teams with less talent and lost to teams with more talent? And that's different from other coaching styles?

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe Stevie didn't have the seams against some of the tougher defenses, but whether he was first hit behind the line of scrimmage or four yards past, he always worked for the extra yard or two after the hit, which is what the great running backs do.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Maybe Stevie didn't have the seams against some of the tougher defenses, but whether he was first hit behind the line of scrimmage or four yards past, he always worked for the extra yard or two after the hit, which is what the great running backs do.

We could call those yards "Stevie yards."

That was a guy that just kept going and going and going.

Reactions: SeattleClone

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames
I have trouble giving sympathy to someone who takes their own lives... But I want to give it to all who are going through the pain of a great loss right now. I hope Stevie has found some kind of peace now regardless of his method to find it. RIP Stevie

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I have trouble giving sympathy to someone who takes their own lives... But I want to give it to all who are going through the pain of a great loss right now. I hope Stevie has found some kind of peace now regardless of his method to find it. RIP Stevie

I understand your point, and sometimes that is my initial reaction when hearing about something like this. But I just can't imagine the despair someone must feel to decide that is the only way out, and I can't imagine the lonliness they must feel in the moments before they do it. That leads me to believe there is something much deeper going on with that person than it appears on the surface, so in the end I do have sympathy for all involved.

Reactions: jtd9046

ISUchains1Fan

May 30, 2008
McCallsburg, IA
To the family and friends of Steven Hicks I'm so sorry for your lose. I can say this about him, he believed in you, himself, and his teammates. He gave everything in his heart to this game he so dearly loved. I as a fan and someone who got to meet him he was awesome all the way around. I'm so deeply sorry.

RIP

Last edited:

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames
I did not intend to slight anyone, that is just how I feel. Yes, I have dealt with this in my own time. I do have sympathy for the pain he was going through, just don't agree with suicide.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006

Its not all about feeling sympathetic for Stevie, this is also about everyone who loved him, mother, father, former cyclones, coaches, fans, friends, relatives. They are the ones feeling the greatest pain right now. Stevie wouldnt want sympathy, Stevie never flaunted his success, Stevie was always humble for every opportunity he was given. As i said earlier, some individuals burdens can be heavier than they appear. For that, RIP 27

Reactions: jtd9046

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Sometimes it is an illness that some cannot get over.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Its not all about feeling sympathetic for Stevie, this is also about everyone who loved him, mother, father, former cyclones, coaches, fans, friends, relatives. They are the ones feeling the greatest pain right now. Stevie wouldnt want sympathy, Stevie never flaunted his success, Stevie was always humble for every opportunity he was given. As i said earlier, some individuals burdens can be heavier than they appear. For that, RIP 27

Those close to someone who takes there own life are impacted more than anyone can imagine. I had a co worker who found her father after he committed suicide. She struggled with guilt and other issues all her life. 33's point if exactly right here. And I do feel sorry for someone who takes their own life, when it could have been so much more productive inthe future.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Any word on a memorial? We could pool our CF resources and send a nice donation to the memorial, or flowers for the service, or something. Not sure how to go about that however. Not to volunteer Jeremy but we could do something with CF donations between X and Y dates or someone could start a collection outside of the site. Thoughts on the best way to approach this?