Strength & Conditioning Coach - Yancy McKnight

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
So, does anybody have any info on who have been the big improvements this summer. Did the Oline meet their goals, stuff like that?
I know Jason Carlson and Marquis Hamilton look like players. Carlson looks like he could be very effective both catching and blocking on the bubble. If they can get Hamilton in 1 on 1 situations with a corner he would overpower them. I also know their work outs are very structured and a little unique.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Coach McKnight was at my table for one round of the Cy's House of Trivia event in April. He was great to talk to. A few points:

1. he didn't think the players had done a single "change of direction" drill the previous two years. a big deal for lineman.

2. related to #1, he thought they did not do enough flexibility drills either. for instance, he said he runs a "box squat" drill where the player tries to get as low as possible before coming up out of the squat. he said KO could only get down to 19 inches when they started but by April he could get to 13 inches. clearly the objective is flexibility and explosiveness and the more range of motion the better.

What I liked is that he really focused on lineman, especially the O-line. And God knows we've been short on athleticism at that position for most of my 25 years as a Clone fan. But he's high on our current crew, he said "Stephens, Lamaak, and KO will play in the NFL, I guarantee it." I hope he's right.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
What I liked is that he really focused on lineman, especially the O-line. And God knows we've been short on athleticism at that position for most of my 25 years as a Clone fan. But he's high on our current crew, he said "Stephens, Lamaak, and KO will play in the NFL, I guarantee it." I hope he's right.
Great info, thanks! It would be nice to have someone that specializes in lineman. It is interesting he did not mention Haughton in that group, as some have felt he could be the best of the Olinemen.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If we have 3NFL O-Linemen, we should have one of the top groups in the B12. It is hard to believe our O-Line will be a Top 3 group in the B12.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Great info, thanks! It would be nice to have someone that specializes in lineman. It is interesting he did not mention Haughton in that group, as some have felt he could be the best of the Olinemen.

Gotta keep those grades up if Haughton hopes to make it to the NFL. No grades, no college playing time, no NFL.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Coach McKnight was at my table for one round of the Cy's House of Trivia event in April. He was great to talk to. A few points:

1. he didn't think the players had done a single "change of direction" drill the previous two years. a big deal for lineman.

2. related to #1, he thought they did not do enough flexibility drills either. for instance, he said he runs a "box squat" drill where the player tries to get as low as possible before coming up out of the squat. he said KO could only get down to 19 inches when they started but by April he could get to 13 inches. clearly the objective is flexibility and explosiveness and the more range of motion the better.

Great information. Hopefully that translates into results on the field this fall..

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gotta keep those grades up if Haughton hopes to make it to the NFL. No grades, no college playing time, no NFL.

Do we know that he has problems with grades? His profile said he wanted to become a doctor and I though I read somewhere that his father was a doctor. You would have to have a good head on your shoulders to try and become a physician.

kcclone33

Dec 15, 2008
Ames
I heard from a few players that i went to high school with that sheppard didnt focus on speed enough. a running back said "i bet there isnt 10 starting running backs in the nation that can squat as much as me". this guy didnt play a snap his whole career. im glad we got a guy who is doing what needs to be done for this offence and defence. speed is key.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I used to be a "just lift a few weights and we'll be fine" guys...but after hearing some thing PR has said as well as a few around here I'm firmly in the 'S & C guy is one of the most important coaches on staff' camp.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I admit I know nothing of the new S&C coach - and that's the problem. We have been in a period of limited recruiting, few classes, and no practices. What does that leave? S&C and film studies (right?) . However, I have heard next to nothing on these sessions. When Sheppard took over, we had almost daily updates of what he was doing; now, we are left guessing. More importantly, IMHO, if we're installing a new offense, wouldn't there be a major push for film studies in the off-season? The supply of information on the FB program has been pretty weak lately. I don't feel that fan excitement is at an alltime high right now and our ticket sales are in the final few weeks. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer on this one. Maybe if I lived closer to Ames I would be more in the loop regarding football developments.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I admit I know nothing of the new S&C coach - and that's the problem. We have been in a period of limited recruiting, few classes, and no practices. What does that leave? S&C and film studies (right?) . However, I have heard next to nothing on these sessions. When Sheppard took over, we had almost daily updates of what he was doing; now, we are left guessing. More importantly, IMHO, if we're installing a new offense, wouldn't there be a major push for film studies in the off-season? The supply of information on the FB program has been pretty weak lately. I don't feel that fan excitement is at an alltime high right now and our ticket sales are in the final few weeks. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer on this one. Maybe if I lived closer to Ames I would be more in the loop regarding football developments.

Actually I don't mind them keeping some of those things quiet. If you give out too much information it can be giving your opponents more rope to hang you with.

All I care about is progress and wining more games during the season. If that means less information this time of year, I'm all for it.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Actually I don't mind them keeping some of those things quiet. If you give out too much information it can be giving your opponents more rope to hang you with.

All I care about is progress and wining more games during the season. If that means less information this time of year, I'm all for it.

Ditto!

Z

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron