Student section/Cyclone Alley

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
We started in section 207 on the corner and moved over to the middlish in section 209 very back row. Was nice because we could stand the whole game if we wanted. Crowd was very mild, we had one point where we were starting to get loud and they called a timeout but besides that pretty quiet crowd.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
It’s amazing that the students don’t show up. But It wasn’t just the students, there were a ton of empty seats throughout.

Lower level was fine. But the balcony was extremely thin, for a top 25 matchup I expected a packed house. But yeah 8:00 game time wasn’t ideal.

Our definitions of "a ton" and "extremely" must be pretty different. Sure there were SOME pockets of 2-4 seats open in most upper sections, but for the most part it seemed mostly full from my vantage point. No, not as full as a Kansas game, but decent for a mid-week 8pm tip. Students, on the other hand, couldn't even fill the mid-lower sections (on either side!).

I will admit the small student section was louder than the rest of the crowd the whole night. Damn old curmudgeons in my section barely stood at all.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Once again TV makes it very inconvenient for the many out of town folks who actually pay to attend the games in person.

I miss the old days when it was always a 7pm tip. Starting a week night games at 6pm is too early, and 8pm is too late.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I blame 8pm weekday game.
I didn't even watch the game because I was feeling a bit sick and was asleep close to 8pm. (Ok, I'm also in my 40s and not a student who could easily pull that off, but still, 8pm to start a game is f in late!)

SCIACY

Aug 28, 2019
For the 1000 students and 1500 others who did not attend, they again missed a matchup of 2-top 25 teams. We all make choices.
We blow off the roof playing KU, KSU, Texas, and presume the other Big 12 games do not need the same fan energy. This is not a standard complaint about fan energy, but facts are facts.
No one is prouder of ISU BB than I am. If you want to fully understand fan energy, go to Allen Fieldhouse. Makes no difference who the opponent is or what the team record is. This team needs fan energy and we need to give it to them.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Do we still oversell the student section? The empty upper deck of the student section has been a problem forever, but we seemed to have it figured out it in the middle of the Hoiberg years once it started being oversold. Perhaps the demand isn’t there anymore to do that though.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
I was watching game on TV, and thought it was funny when one of the announcers said something like “The fans are getting vocal and it’s really getting loud in here”.

I’ve got some news for him…he doesn’t have any idea how loud Hilton can be!

Ron Falenschek

Nov 5, 2020
This is entirely Pollard's fault. Student tickets are criminally oversold. I have two sons at ISU. Junior was able to get a football/basketball season ticket. Freshman was not. In order to attend games you must wait in line to get inside Hilton. Oldest has waited several times in excess of an hour only to be turned away because the section is full. Obviously, this makes for a good scene outside for KU, TX, etc., but when TCU comes to town and you've been turned away 3-4 times on the year, why bother? It is just plain stupid to make students wait to fill that section on a first come, first served basis. So many better ways to do it.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Well at least we made it pretty far into the season before a student section call out. I say that’s progress.

And no, it wouldn’t have filled up if you sold general admission tickets an hour before. There was still unsold tickets with all those promotions.

Bad weather, late tip, not rival or big name team (don’t care if they were top 20) and the team in a slump gets you that.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We did the 8PM KSU game and while we had a blast it was sure a late night. Not something I'd do with regularity.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
For the 1000 students and 1500 others who did not attend, they again missed a matchup of 2-top 25 teams. We all make choices.
We blow off the roof playing KU, KSU, Texas, and presume the other Big 12 games do not need the same fan energy. This is not a standard complaint about fan energy, but facts are facts.
No one is prouder of ISU BB than I am. If you want to fully understand fan energy, go to Allen Fieldhouse. Makes no difference who the opponent is or what the team record is. This team needs fan energy and we need to give it to them.
Lawrence, 25 miles from KC 2.5 mil metro plus Topeka.

Reactions: wxman1

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Pollard needs to cut student tickets 25%.

If this were a case of them not being loud and cheering and bringing energy, I wouldn’t be upset. A butt in a seat is good enough for me.

Just simply not showing up to a game because you’re busy on Fortnite or whatever the case may be is unacceptable.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We started walking out from the top row of the balcony with 20 seconds left in the game and had 0 issues getting out of D3 and still didnt make it home till 11:00 on the northside of Johnston. I can see why anyone with kids would not attend a 8pm weeknight game.

I debated grabbing tickets yesterday for my 11 year old son and I but with his other activities he's involved in I just couldn't' justify getting him home after 11:00 on a school night. 8:00 tips are tough.