Suggestions for Falling/Staying Asleep!!

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Sleep studies are worthless.

I have issues sleeping in my own home on my comfortable bed, but let's put me on a bed that feels like concrete with terrible pillows and hook me up to about 10 wires and probes.

I'll surely be able to get an accurate reading at the clinic.

• Agree
Reactions: casey1973

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
No caffeine for me after 4pm. If I have a few beers I won’t sleep very good. I used to take Tylenol PM every night and slept like a rock but I had to get off of that. I now take it when I have more drinks than I should or I feel stressed so I’ve backed it down to 6 nights a week.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines

I have issues sleeping in my own home on my comfortable bed, but let's put me on a bed that feels like concrete with terrible pillows and hook me up to about 10 wires and probes.

While you are entitled to your opinions, I’ll agree to disagree.

I was able to do my sleep study at home, and it was anything but worthless.

I was found to have a severe case of obstructive sleep apnea, and was prescribed a machine within 48hrs.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Tylenol pm, read kindle book for 5 to 45 minutes inbed by 9:30 get up at 5;30. CPAP for 3 years. Replaced 30 year old mattress. Informed employer I am retiring December 31st this year 3 months ago. I have never slept better. The cpap was the biggext help 3 years ago, I just committed myself to it. I dont care if it has turned into a "blanket" like an infant, it works. Second biggest help was the mattress, didnt know we were suffering until we replaced it. Getting up early helps, if I happen to sleep in til 8 on the weekends it can make for a short Saturday or Sunday night and I wake up way too early (3-4 AM. )

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN

My husband and I were both able to do our sleep studies from home. Our doctor used Snap Diagnostics (our insurance covered this). The doctor sent in the order to Snap for the sleep study, they sent it to us, we had "x" amount of days to do the study 3 times. Clear, easy to understand instructions were included for how to connect to the machine for the study. Once you completed your 3 nights, send the machine back and wait for the results.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There are a few must-dos if you want to have great sleep.
- no alcohol. It is horrible for sleep. Alcohol in itself hurts sleep, plus makes most of us wake up and piss.
- no caffeine after noon or so at least. The earlier you stop the better
- obviously exercise. Again, if you can get this done earlier, that helps greatly.
- avoid screens an hour or more before bedtime.

Other things can help, but if these things don’t happen you’re fighting an uphill battle.

I like having a beer or two at night, and sometimes stay on the phone too late. That really hurts sleep quality.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
My husband and I were both able to do our sleep studies from home. Our doctor used Snap Diagnostics (our insurance covered this). The doctor sent in the order to Snap for the sleep study, they sent it to us, we had "x" amount of days to do the study 3 times. Clear, easy to understand instructions were included for how to connect to the machine for the study. Once you completed your 3 nights, send the machine back and wait for the results.
That would have been nice to have that option. I had to go into a clinic, which was extremely uncomfortable.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

They have new at home devices where you literally where a comfortable head band, a watch, or one of various things. You then sleep in your own bed without any discomfort. Super reliable and super cheap. Remember, they aren't measuring tossing and turning or comfort, but sleep obstruction issues.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
I went to go see a functional medicine doctor as I had issues with night time urination (usually 1-2 times a night though times where I would go 4-5 times). Was given a supplement called Seriphos. Reduces cortisol, which helps bring sleep along. Helps keep me asleep too though still wake up st least once to pee. Would recommend, not completely unlike Melatonin, but doesn't give me the massive sleep hangover.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Haven’t read the entire thread, so don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but I recommend the Calm app. Lot of meditations, readings, background noise in there that can help put you back to sleep. I think it’s like 8 or 9 bucks a month.

Also if you’re prone to anxiety or nerves, a lot of things in there to help you with that too.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Haven’t read the entire thread, so don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but I recommend the Calm app. Lot of meditations, readings, background noise in there that can help put you back to sleep. I think it’s like 8 or 9 bucks a month.

Also if you’re prone to anxiety or nerves, a lot of things in there to help you with that too.
The Nordland Night Train sleep story is my favorite. I have never made it to the end of the story lol

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Change jobs. Jk
Ironically, this is the reason why I cannot currently hit the pen at bedtime. I have a pre-employment screening coming up for a C-level role headquartered in the Chicago area. While recreational mj is legal in IL I just don’t know if that’s part of the test or not.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Ironically, this is the reason why I cannot currently hit the pen at bedtime. I have a pre-employment screening coming up for a C-level role headquartered in the Chicago area. While recreational mj is legal in IL I just don’t know if that’s part of the test or not.
Good reason!

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
These guys make tons of good stuff for stress relief, but it will make you tired, which is great for falling asleep.

Flomax helps me get through most nights without using the bathroom all night, but I don't know how to stop the dreaded anxiety wake up that so many of us have.

1712443398898.png

Reactions: TXCyclones

Help Support Us

Become a patron