Summer Thread: The decline of the sedan

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Anyone else bummed that the auto industry is pivoting away from sedans in recent years?

I was reading today that Genesis is ending the G70 line. I've owned two of them, as daily drivers, and they're honestly my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. It seems like every other day I'm reading about a different manufacturer cancelling a sedan line.

Dodge Charger
Chrysler 300
Kia Stinger
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Altima
Mercedes A class
And quite a few others.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. I'm in the minority. The masses prefer SUVs, crossovers and trucks, and the manufacturers have to produce for demand, but boy do I prefer the look and feel of a sedan. Toyota and Honda have the Camry and Accord, which seem to be doing okay. And the German brands don't seem to be ready to give up yet, but there's not a lot of variety out there in that space.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Was just new car shopping for the first time in a decade and was shocked at the lack of new sedans. And the ones that are out there seem to be just afterthoughts when it comes to design. The new Malibu looks so dated.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone and DSM4Cy

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Anyone else bummed that the auto industry is pivoting away from sedans in recent years?

I was reading today that Genesis is ending the G70 line. I've owned two of them, as daily drivers, and they're honestly my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. It seems like every other day I'm reading about a different manufacturer cancelling a sedan line.

Dodge Charger
Chrysler 300
Kia Stinger
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Altima
Mercedes A class
And quite a few others.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. I'm in the minority. The masses prefer SUVs, crossovers and trucks, and the manufacturers have to produce for demand, but boy do I prefer the look and feel of a sedan. Toyota and Honda have the Camry and Accord, which seem to be doing okay. And the German brands don't seem to be ready to give up yet, but there's not a lot of variety out there in that space.
Yes, I am bummed. Glad to have my Civic which gets 40mpg and is plenty big for what I need 99% of the time. However, I couldn't look to buy a domestic sedan this time around even if I'd wanted to. The Focus and Cruze were both gone and we don't need a "boat car."

I understand the need for something larger if you're constantly hauling multiple kids and lots of baggage, or if you're using a truck to transport needed supplies for work. I don't understand the constant push for everyone to get bigger and bigger vehicles.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yes, I am bummed. Glad to have my Civic which gets 40mpg and is plenty big for what I need 99% of the time. However, I couldn't look to buy a domestic sedan this time around even if I'd wanted to. The Focus and Cruze were both gone and we don't need a "boat car."

I understand the need for something larger if you're constantly hauling multiple kids and lots of baggage, or if you're using a truck to transport needed supplies for work. I don't understand the constant push for everyone to get bigger and bigger vehicles.
The bigger the vehicle the less they have to meet the MPG standards.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Unfortunately (and I'm a part of this) outdoor adventuring and other things are as easy as they've ever been to do and the crossover/SUV types just beg you to add more adventuring gear in or on top of the car (kayak) and the traditional sedan just doesn't appease the same way.

Even cars like the Subaru Impreza went from the smaller sedan type to a hatchback.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Unfortunately (and I'm a part of this) outdoor adventuring and other things are as easy as they've ever been to do and the crossover/SUV types just beg you to add more adventuring gear in or on top of the car (kayak) and the traditional sedan just doesn't appease the same way.

Even cars like the Subaru Impreza went from the smaller sedan type to a hatchback.
Just a lot easier to put the big ass stroller in the back of a crossover/small suv.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Sedans just don't have a lot of.....utility. Seriously, I couldn't think of a better word. SUVs haul more, are generally easier to get in/out of, more comfortable for the taller folk...pretty much everything about them is better.

There is still a market for smaller cars, but midsize cars just don't fit in today. I still think the cars look better (most of them, anyway), but the SUVs are just better.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

I'm still rolling a sedan (Honda Insight) with removable Yakima crossbars for when I need to haul the canoe around.
I prefer the handling of a sedan compared to a crossover/suv, and the small amount I invested in snow tires has kept me on the road and out of the ditch for 10+ years (I had a Mazdaspeed6 for about 5 years as well).

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sedans just don't have a lot of.....utility. Seriously, I couldn't think of a better word. SUVs haul more, are generally easier to get in/out of, more comfortable for the taller folk...pretty much everything about them is better.

There is still a market for smaller cars, but midsize cars just don't fit in today. I still think the cars look better (most of them, anyway), but the SUVs are just better.
I won't deny the functionality of an SUV compared to a sedan. My wife drives an SUV, and it has uses that my car just doesn't. But for my personal car, I'd pick a sedan every time. It's just so much more fun to drive

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I would love to have a sedan but twice a year I have migration north and south and you literally have to take 1/2 your life with you. I have an aging Flex that has more cargo room than most of the midsize (and a lot of bigger) SUV's.

Trying to find something that has close to that cargo capacity without a huge investment and having decent mileage is a challenge. I'm looking at the newly designed Santa Fe. The hybrid looks like not much of a premium over the gas version and rated 35 MPG. That looks like it's in my near future.

And this is when a person knows they are officially "old." The cost of the Santa Fe will be more than I spent for my first house in 1982.

Reactions: aauummm

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I won't deny the functionality of an SUV compared to a sedan. My wife drives an SUV, and it has uses that my car just doesn't. But for my personal car, I'd pick a sedan every time. It's just so much more fun to drive
This. I love to drive my S500. but is very limited functionally in what the PNW offers.

Reactions: Mr Janny

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Toyota is coming out with the 9th generation of the Camry this summer, they also have the Crown and a couple over sedans. We love our 2018 Camry, gets 40 MPG and is just getting broken in at 102,000 miles. Toyota is really going hard on their hybrids, all the new addition Camry are hybrids, no non hybrids will be made.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Isn't this a function of manufacturer fleet requirements? US Gov says 30MPG across your product offerings. The consumer says trucks/SUVs. The makers say small, fuel sipper cars and 1/2 ton vehicles it is.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I’m one of those that’s gone crossover, used to have a sadan. Doubt I’ll ever go back, I simply like sitting up higher and not having to bend down to get in a car. I have a family so I need something somewhat large. We were discussing this very topic the other day and realized the only person we’re close with that still has a car is my brother who has an 06’ Impala with 250k miles.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I understand why people choose SUV's. For some it's utility, for some it's the cool factor that automakers have pushed for the last 30 years.

As the owner of sedans over the last 25 years, not sure my next vehicle will be a sedan due to safety concerns. The profile of SUV's and pickups creates visibility issues at intersections and roadways.