Superdog sold, good bye gyros?!?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Not sure exactly, but I think either in 2009 or 2010. I opened in the later half of my education at ISU.
Makes sense. I was gone by then. My interest is peaked though. Might have to try it when I’m back for a game this fall.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Does anyone remember that little Burrito cart that was beside what was formerly that housing place across from Kum n Go? I think they came in 2014? and were there for at least a few years. Best $4.50 you could spend at 2Am.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I remember eating there after I was a student (and I liked it quite a bit). I just never went there when I was a student.

Forgiven I guess. I only had Superdog once or twice, but most of my time going to the bars in Campustown there was only the Gyro guy, I was on to grad school by the time Superdog got big.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Anyone remember the short stint of the grilled cheese guy? Was around when the superdog started getting crazy.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
My Thursday, Friday, and Saturday drunken food consisted of a rotating mix of Es Tas tacos, Fajita man, and Superdog. Usually depended on what time I left the bars to go home and how long the lines were.

I’ve probably had hundreds of each. The good ole days.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I did some research a while back and came up with a good replica recipe. I found some weird blog post from someone where they interviewed the cook one night.

This is what I came up with. Use it wisely.
-Bun
-Hot dog (cooked however you like)
-Pineapple sauce (it's just crushed pineapple from the can)
-Roasted garlic cilantro mayo sauce (roast a couple cloves of garlic under the broiler, chop up garlic and cilantro, and mix into mayo)
-Secret sauce (which is actually just thousand island dressing)
-ketchup
-mustard
-crushed up potato chips (Lay's or Ruffles preferred)
-Slice of cooked bacon
-Monterey jack cheese
-Broil until the cheese is melted

It is a sight to behold. This was about as close as I think you could possibly get to the original.
View attachment 88543
You are a hero...

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Random note: The original(?) Gyro guy (late 90’s) is now in Fort Collins selling Gyros at Colorado State.

There was a block party on Wilmoth Ave. sometime in the Spring of 2001 and dude brought out the gyro cart and gave away free food to anyone who wanted it mid-afternoon. Super cool guy, even better party.

Reactions: Cybone

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
That was after it was under new ownership and tried to become a breakfast/chinese food hybrid. Not long before that it was open until at least 3am and served up cheap breakfast food quickly.

Oh Angie’s, how I miss you! Nothing better than drunk breakfast food!

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Does anyone remember that little Burrito cart that was beside what was formerly that housing place across from Kum n Go? I think they came in 2014? and were there for at least a few years. Best $4.50 you could spend at 2Am.
Think you're talking about Fajita Man, Mark

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Think you're talking about Fajita Man, Mark
I am not talking about Fajita Man. It was an orange trailer that had 2 people inside. Only burritos and quesadillas and had like 5 original sauces. It was better than both Fighting and Mr. hands down.

I think it was called Hungry Bros of Hungry Boys or something.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Anyone know if Superdog is still around after it was sold? I went this last weekend to check and I didn't see them at 11pm. I was really hoping to grab a superdog with my dad and brother this weekend after the game.