Tailgaiting in Norman

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Hey just wanted to check but can anyone suggest where to go in Norman since this will be my first time going to watch the game in Norman. Were going to be there early Friday and want to go golfing then out that night. Anyone know of any big areas where Cyclone fans will be etc would be appreciated and if theres already a thread on this that ive missed?

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I went there when ISU was ranked #9. The tailgating sucked. Almost as much as we did that game.

Stadium was really cool, though.

Maybe it has improved, because that was a long time ago.

I can't believe I just typed ISU was ranked #9. Seems like we are so far from those times.

iowast_nate

Jan 22, 2008
Davenport
^^^ This. The tailgate seemed to take place more after the game than before. It was really strange.

I remember their fans before the game were scared to death of Seneca Wallace and we laid an absolute egg in all areas.

GoodyISU1

Jul 15, 2014
Glad someone posted this, I was going to do the same. I've heard it's impossible to get a spot to tailgate & that the nearby bars are the way to go. Not too happy about that, I'd prefer to tailgate vs going to the bars but what can you do. At least I'll still have alcohol.

I'm just happy the kick off is at 6pm.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Theres got to be somewhere to drop the tailgate and throw some stuff on the grill and drink and walk around too. I don't understand how it can be such an awesome stadium etc and no real tailgaiting?

GoodyISU1

Jul 15, 2014
I think people start saving spots at noon on Friday? There's 3 of us traveling down from Iowa & we're meeting up with 2 Iowa State fans who live in Norman. I'd prefer to tailgate, especially if we can find some other ISU fans to hang out with.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Theres got to be somewhere to drop the tailgate and throw some stuff on the grill and drink and walk around too. I don't understand how it can be such an awesome stadium etc and no real tailgaiting?

We pretty much found an abandoned lot to tailgate in. Probably trespassing. There was some general tailgating going on in yards--similar to Iowa City, I guess, but nowhere near the scale. It just seemed eerie. It was a crappy day, but still seemed weird to not have tailgating.

It just underscores the fun atmosphere that happens at ISU games. The only other Big 12 place I've been that compares is Kansas State. Texas A&M wasn't bad, but they don't count anymore. Nowhere else I've been comes close (I haven't been to OK State or Waco, though).

clone96cr

Apr 11, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Glad someone posted this, I was going to do the same. I've heard it's impossible to get a spot to tailgate & that the nearby bars are the way to go. Not too happy about that, I'd prefer to tailgate vs going to the bars but what can you do. At least I'll still have alcohol.

I'm just happy the kick off is at 6pm.

I went to this game a few years ago and if I remember right, there is a string of bars between parking areas and the stadium and people just go to the bars.

CY88

Jan 3, 2013
The DFW Cyclone Club sold tickets to the OU game that included a tailgate. I bought tickets from them but haven't rec'd the specifics on the tailgating. I think it will be outside the Lloyd Noble Center which is about 1.5 miles from the stadium. There is a shuttle that runs from Lloyd to the stadium. I would PM DFWCyclone to see if you can buy a ticket to their tailgate. If not, just setup camp right next to them. At least you will be by Cyclone fans.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Heading back to Texas from Iowa that weekend, I may try to pick up a ticket from somewhere and make the stop. I'll be looking for any ISU fans that would have an open chair for someone donating beer to the tailgate.

GoodyISU1

Jul 15, 2014
The DFW Cyclone Club sold tickets to the OU game that included a tailgate. I bought tickets from them but haven't rec'd the specifics on the tailgating. I think it will be outside the Lloyd Noble Center which is about 1.5 miles from the stadium. There is a shuttle that runs from Lloyd to the stadium. I would PM DFWCyclone to see if you can buy a ticket to their tailgate. If not, just setup camp right next to them. At least you will be by Cyclone fans.

Thanks for this info, we may just try to set up by the tailgate since we'll be bringing food & beer ourselves.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron