Tailgate Food

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Probably slow cook a marinaded pork roast for pork sandwiches and have not decided yet for the Chiefs game the next day but ribs are a possibility. Wish I could do charcoal instead of gas but the soot left over from the charcoal might be a little messy when we are already tight on packing space.

Reactions: TexaClone

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
What do you guys plan on cooking up for the K-State game??

Brisket.

I got a 6.5 lb brsket with a nice 1/4 in layer of fat on one side. I washed it in cold water, patted it dry and rubbed it with this:

2 Tbspns garlic powder
1 Tbspn onion powder
2 Tbspn sugar
3 Tbspns freshly ground pepper
1 Tbspn coarse salt (sea salt, kosher salt, etc)
3 Tbspns chili powder
2 Tbspns cumin

I put it in a large tupperware container with a lid to let it "cure"

Sat AM I will start cooking it.

I'm setting the grill up for indirect cooking using about a dozen coals and wet hickory chips.

I will put the brisket in one of those cheap aluminum roasting pans you get at the store ($2). And cook with the grill's lid on. and get it started about 6-7:00 AM.

Every 50 min - hour: add coals, wet hickory and baste the brisket with the accumulating juices . Sometime after 6 hours of this, the brisket will be done. (When it is fork tender).

Let it rest for about 15 min and slice it across the grain with a sharp knife (electric works well - the wife gave me a Lorena Bobbitt signature model several years ago for my birthday).

You are now ready to enjoy the best brisket going.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Brisket.

I got a 6.5 lb brsket with a nice 1/4 in layer of fat on one side. I washed it in cold water, patted it dry and rubbed it with this:

2 Tbspns garlic powder
1 Tbspn onion powder
2 Tbspn sugar
3 Tbspns chili powder
2 Tbspns cumin

I'm setting the grill up for indirect cooking using about a dozen coals and wet hickory chips.

I will put the brisket in one of those cheap aluminum roasting pans you get at the store ($2). And cook with the grill's lid on. and get it started about 6-7:00 AM.

Every 50 min - hour: add coals, wet hickory and baste the brisket with the accumulating juices . Sometime after 6 hours of this, the brisket will be done. (When it is fork tender).

Let it rest for about 15 min and slice it across the grain with a sharp knife (electric works well - the wife gave me a Lorena Bobbitt signature model several years ago for my birthday).

Holy too much work, can I just have a brat?

ISUCLONES15

Mar 24, 2006
Altoona
Brisket.

2 Tbspns garlic powder
1 Tbspn onion powder
2 Tbspn sugar
3 Tbspns chili powder
2 Tbspns cumin

Sounds great Swammi! I just did a 11lb brisket for the Iowa vs ISU game. Did a similar dry rub and smoked mine for 12 hours and it turned out fantastic. I think the key was basting it ever hour with a mop recipe that I found online. It was 1 12oz can of beer, 1/3 of a cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 finely chopped small onion, 2 cloves of garlic & a tablespoon of Franks Red Hot. The beer really brings out the flavor of the meat and the acid in the vinegar pushes the wood/smoke flavor deeper into the meat, while keeping it extra moist in the process. It was by far the best brisket I have ever tasted!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That brisket sounds yummy but not enough time and too much work for me to try, especially on a road trip without my usual setup.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Going to stop and get some KC bar b que somewhere and bring it to the tailgate.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Keeping it simple on the road- bloody marys & beer (Boulevard and ISU Bud Light for the road game) and grilling some burgers and dogs.

We're thinking we'll probably stay and tailgate for a bit afterwards too, does anyone know if they rush people out of the lots right away or can we hang for awhile?

Help Support Us

Become a patron