Tailgate plans for AmesDay

TheSammo

Nov 23, 2012
My crew is wondering if we will spend our time at our tailgate setup in the C4 lot or the crowd around the ESPN set. It makes some difference on our plans, to include tailgate TV setup. Normally we use an OTA antenna and watch whatever game is on broadcast, but in this case we will want to watch ESPN Gameday if we are at our tailgate spot.

I’ve read that the ESPN set will be between Scheman and Hilton. Do you think on one of the elevated platforms? That would provide an amazing view of the backdrop of all the north lots, the back of the scoreboard and the stadium.

I’m just curious how all your tailgate plans are adjusting based on ESPN Gameday.

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017
Planning on smoking ribs, if I'm in the student grass lots, or pulled pork, if I can score an RV lot pass. Probably the former rather than the latter.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
Anyone know what time the park lot by the bridge on north side of S 4th street opens?

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Planning on smoking ribs, if I'm in the student grass lots, or pulled pork, if I can score an RV lot pass. Probably the former rather than the latter.

There is one correct answer to that ribs or pork dilemma...

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
We are doing wings and pulled pork. Smoked both the wings and pork this weekend to free up time to enjoy the atmoshere Saturday. We will deep fry the wings Saturday and hold the pork in a roaster. Also a ton of pot-luck sides, courtesy of friends. Should be a great Saturday for the Cyclones and the State of Iowa. Hopefully no one screws it up.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Hoping they open the GA lots early so people can park and head over to where ESPN will set up. Right now they would open at 9am. Which means they'd be on the air over an hour before we are even parked in the lot we usually park in.

• Creative
Reactions: Clonefan94

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017
There is one correct answer to that ribs or pork dilemma...
Yes, but it's all about the timing. Lol.

16 lbs of pork shoulder cooks longer than 6 -7 slabs of ribs. If I can get into an RV lot, I'll start the smoker at 2 am and let it cook. Student lot will open at 9, so ribs go on shortly after that.

And as much as I'd like it to be both, I only have so much room.

Last edited:
Reactions: harimad

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
We are doing wings and pulled pork. Smoked both the wings and pork this weekend to free up time to enjoy the atmoshere Saturday. We will deep fry the wings Saturday and hold the pork in a roaster. Also a ton of pot-luck sides, courtesy of friends. Should be a great Saturday for the Cyclones and the State of Iowa. Hopefully no one screws is up.
Smoking 14 pounds of pork butt and 5 pounds of beef smoked sausage for next Saturday with the same idea!

Reactions: harimad and EIClone

bclewis05

Feb 6, 2013
We’ve had G7 parking pass in past years but really liked the setup of vet med instead, so didn’t get one this year.

Anyone have a guess on just how early I should get there to get a parking spot?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I'm smoking a couple of pork butts for pulled pork next Saturday. I think I'm going to go with the food-saver bag and simmer in a pot of water route to reheat at the tailgate. I have a propane fish fryer that I think will work well filled with water.

I'd like to swing by GameDay, so that will involve more walking than I was planning on since we're going to park in the student lots on the south side. At least it's not on central campus.

• Friendly
Reactions: Bo0926

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
deep fried food tailgate for us this game. Wings, tenderloins, bacon wrapped tots, chips, pizza rolls, blooming onion etc.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
3C6086F1-351D-4E45-B0B3-683B1A3C8FFB.png
I'm smoking a couple of pork butts for pulled pork next Saturday. I think I'm going to go with the food-saver bag and simmer in a pot of water route to reheat at the tailgate. I have a propane fish fryer that I think will work well filled with water.

I'd like to swing by GameDay, so that will involve more walking than I was planning on since we're going to park in the student lots on the south side. At least it's not on central campus.
there’s been a change

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
The change in location makes it harder. Much longer walk. Feels like I have to at least walk over at some point, but I'm also thinking a marathon tailgate.

What time is the actual show?

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
My buddy and I and will be coming up from KC, looking for some gregarious folks to hang with, burn a cigar, throw some bags etc. We could offer $ for que, great beer, cornhole skills, and much love for the cardinal and gold. (If you're a beer nerd I would happily bring some award winning Perennial Brewery offerings, anything Boulevard that doesn't distribute widely you're interested, or KC J. Rieger Whiskey??? https://www.jriegerco.com/).

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
My buddy and I and will be coming up from KC, looking for some gregarious folks to hang with, burn a cigar, throw some bags etc. We could offer $ for que, great beer, cornhole skills, and much love for the cardinal and gold. (If you're a beer nerd I would happily bring some award winning Perennial Brewery offerings, anything Boulevard that doesn't distribute widely you're interested, or KC J. Rieger Whiskey??? https://www.jriegerco.com/).
All happens at our RV spot, sans cigar. You’re welcome to a a bag challenge and some smoked pulled pork.

Reactions: Montgomery-Magic

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Anyone have any thoughts on how early you might have to get up to Ames to get a spot in the student lots? I've only tailgated there a few times, and never for a game with this much hype/excitement.