Tailgate plans for AmesDay

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Anyone have any thoughts on how early you might have to get up to Ames to get a spot in the student lots? I've only tailgated there a few times, and never for a game with this much hype/excitement.

The earliest time you’ve been there and then go 4 hrs earlier. They will come out with an announcement sometime this week I’m guessing

• Optimistic
Reactions: HoraceGrant

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Anyone have any thoughts on how early you might have to get up to Ames to get a spot in the student lots? I've only tailgated there a few times, and never for a game with this much hype/excitement.
Get there Friday night if you want to guarantee yourself a spot.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Mrs. Gaggi and I, along with Nicky Santoro and his crew will be arriving early. Nicky will be busy busting heads and extracting money, watches and jewelry from drunk and unsuspecting hok fans. That means you Kujofan!

Will hok fans be having sex in the kybos before the game?

• Funny
Reactions: Yorel Fusspucker

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
In the past for the CyHawk game you can line up the night before for the student lots and they hold you in the grass lots across from vet med then start to fill the student lot at like 2-4am depending on kickoff time so they clear that out in time for the usual traffic. Curious to see with gameday in town if they announce all lots will be open early so they fill up for some nice shots since the show is from 8-11am.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm smoking a couple of pork butts for pulled pork next Saturday. I think I'm going to go with the food-saver bag and simmer in a pot of water route to reheat at the tailgate. I have a propane fish fryer that I think will work well filled with water.

I'd like to swing by GameDay, so that will involve more walking than I was planning on since we're going to park in the student lots on the south side. At least it's not on central campus.

You’re in Iowa?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Mrs. Gaggi and I, along with Nicky Santoro and his crew will be arriving early. Nicky will be busy busting heads and extracting money, watches and jewelry from drunk and unsuspecting hok fans. That means you Kujofan!

Will hok fans be having sex in the kybos before the game?

Have him tip them over on the doors when he sees hawks enter.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Gameday starts at 8am.

Game starts at 3pm. (it's going to be a long day. Just remember, it's a marathon not a sprint everyone!)

We park in A4. Probably will get up there to grab a spot at 7am-ish. Will walk around the stadium to see the hoopla for a bit and then head back north to the normal tailgate.

Can't wait! Go Cyclones.

Reactions: bozclone

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
This game is our big tailgate. We have college friends that come back from California, so all of us get together. By the time family, friends, old co-workers, etc are invited we have about 200 people there. We just do a pot luck, it makes things easier.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Gameday starts at 8am.

Game starts at 3pm. (it's going to be a long day. Just remember, it's a marathon not a sprint everyone!)

We park in A4. Probably will get up there to grab a spot at 7am-ish. Will walk around the stadium to see the hoopla for a bit and then head back north to the normal tailgate.

Can't wait! Go Cyclones.

I would definitely recommend getting to the lots as close to open time as possible. I can see it being an absolute zoo around 7, an hour before the gameday starts. Relax in your vehicle for a bit if you need to after parked.

Reactions: keepngoal

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I would definitely recommend getting to the lots as close to open time as possible. I can see it being an absolute zoo around 7, an hour before the gameday starts. Relax in your vehicle for a bit if you need to after parked.

I think everyone should avoid driving on university south of the stadium no matter what time lol. I'm going to try and come in from the north.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We will be parking the bus in the RV lot on Friday and then everyone bikes over early Saturday morning. We won't change the routine much for this except for probably getting there earlier due to the chaos.

I remember staying in the bus overnight for Nebraska or Iowa games many times so we could get in the student lot in the morning. We might get an hour or two of sleep tops.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My life will suck that day. Daughter has a VB tourney that day so we will be just before kickoff at best or slightly late possibly. Kids come first to me.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
My life will suck that day. Daughter has a VB tourney that day so we will be just before kickoff at best or slightly late possibly. Kids come first to me.

You need to write a strongly worded letter to whomever is responsible for setting that tournament up.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You need to write a strongly worded letter to whomever is responsible for setting that tournament up.

My daughter is pushing to skip the tourney and leave extra early for the game. Told her she would probably lose her starting spot and we would be in the doghouse for everything then.

Help Support Us

Become a patron