The great Metallica debate

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I'm always fascinated by bands/rappers feuding or infighting. Few are more famous than the split between Dave Mustaine and Metallica.

In your opinion, would Metallica have been even better had Mustaine stayed in the band or were they better off with Kirk?

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I don’t know if Dave could have made Metallica better than how things worked out for them. They probably wouldn’t have softened (think Black album and beyond). I think Dave had a harder, heavier edge to the overall music.

I do know this……without the feud, we don’t get Megadeth, and that would be a shame.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Cliff’s death is what really changed that band imo. Both musically and emotionally. Dave is a solid guitarist and a pioneer, but he’s not a playing god imo. I think it would have been crazy if they had taken Yngwie or a different European and had that influence and see where their sound went.

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
What would the world be like if Phil Collins never came from behind that drum set to replace Peter Gabriel in Genesis? :explode:

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Hetfield and Lars found the perfect replacement.

Anything we ever heard from Kirk on albums from the get go he had to really fight to get.

He has slowly been given input over the years.

But for the most part

He goes surfing
Smokes some weed
Reads some comic books and shreds his ass off when asked.

Reactions: demoncore1031

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Phil Collin’s is amazing.
tumblr_nmgvnsN74y1uoq52go2_500.png

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Cliff’s death is what really changed that band imo. Both musically and emotionally. Dave is a solid guitarist and a pioneer, but he’s not a playing god imo. I think it would have been crazy if they had taken Yngwie or a different European and had that influence and see where their sound went.
I agree. Cliff's background in classical music is what made Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets so good. I think their music fell off after his death.

But I think Kirk was probably better for the band than Dave. Both great guitarists but there's just something about Kirk's solos that I really love.

And if they wouldn't have booted Dave, we never would've gotten Rust in Peace...that album shreds.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron