The Sinful Seven: Sci-fi Western Legends of the NCAA

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Hello my Fanatic friends!

I wanted to recommend a book that might interest some of you here. It is called The Sinful Seven, and it is a partially historical, and partially fictionalized telling of how the NCAA as the institution came to be and some of the events that allowed it to become the billion dollar, non-profit, legal enforcer of amateurism in college athletics that it is today.

The story alternates between historical accounts of college athletics: from the first rowing match between Harvard and Yale, to Teddy Roosevelt saving American football, to Jack Trice, to Adolph Rupp, Bear Bryant, and George Wallace, all the way to SMU and the Death Penalty, and the explosion of money in college athletics in the 21st century. Interwoven with the history is an allegorical western of a group of bandits that team up to fight back against the new, self-proclaimed authority in the West.

This is a book for anyone who is a fan of the history of the college athletics, and understanding how it came to be structured in the way that we know it now. It is also an old school cowboy heist story, that uses fiction to illustrate the hypocrisy of the NCAA.

As I mentioned earlier, there is an entire chapter dedicated to the story of Jack Trice (that @Kagavi was a source on). Jack is even a key part of the fictional story!

The book was written by some of the minds behind Every Day Should Be Saturday, The Shutdown Fullcast, and Banner Society. It was put together over the summer when Spencer Hall, Richard Johnson, Jason Kirk, and Alex Kirshner were furloughed by Vox Media.

If you are interested, you can get it digitally at the link below. The writers are offering it as a name your price, so you can pick it up for as little as $0.99, but whatever you choose to pay, I highly recommend picking it up!

The Sinful Seven: Sci-fi Western Legends of the NCAA